Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big green modules for projection: OPSL vs DPSS? ~10W to ~15W

Default Big green modules for projection: OPSL vs DPSS? ~10W to ~15W

Hi all,

I am looking to buy 10W-15W green laser modules with excellent divergence specs for outdoor projection with long throw distances.

1. Short of buying coherent OPSL units, what would be the next best option for high quality DPSS? Obviously I am hoping to pay less than OPSL, for the sake of value. But I do understand one has to be realistic if you demand good divergence specs.

2. Also curious as to OPSL user's experiences: How do you find OPSL stacks up against a DPSS for outdoor projection if consider equal cost to purchase? EG: 3W OPSL vs 10W DPSS (say a good CNI model).

Any comments on the topic would be appreciated. I can't help but wonder if they cost 4 times as much, are they 4 times brighter in real world scenarios?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Some quick thoughts:
    OPSL's are great... but they're not perfect + don't last forever (we've had a few just randomly die or massively drop off in output power).
    However apart from that they're really quite good Only 2 in the 30-40 we've got have had issues (both greens).

BUT: Most high power DPSS Chinese units I've seen work great and have nice beams, but after a couple of years just fade away to failure.

Jenlas thin disc lasers seem to hold the test of time (but they don't make 10-15W models). You could combine 2x though?

3W OPSL vs 10W DPSS same £ for £? I'd take the 10W (as long as it doesn't have a PSU + driver the size of a house)

Go with whatever value is best for you. Don't think you have to get OPSL because it's OPSL.
    Either way... don't count on any option lasting >3-5yrs!
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Daniel - thanks for your thoughts on this, all noted with gratitude.

Anyone else is free to chime in - although I suppose OPSL owners are a bit hard to come by

... maybe an old frequency doubled Nd:YAG would be an option? - they're actually exchanged by fiber-lasers, so could be a cheap find somewhere ...

Viktor

What about one of those old medical units?

Laserscopes are cheap, and they make a ton of green, but they don't have the best divergence... Maybe you could up-collimate though?

Adam

Thanks for the tips. Big and chunky is unfortunately not an option for us. So it either needs to be diode, DPSS or OPSL.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphry View Post
    it either needs to be diode, DPSS or OPSL.
    Crap. That roughly translates into "more expensive".

Unless a huge, honkin' argon ion laser with green-only optics is an option? They can be had on the surplus market for cheap, and they have great beam specs, but modulation is a pain, and the setup and tear down is enough to make you cry...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Crap. That roughly translates into "more expensive". Unless a huge, honkin' argon ion laser with green-only optics is an option? They can be had on the surplus market for cheap, and they have great beam specs, but modulation is a pain, and the setup and tear down is enough to make you cry...Adam
    My eyes are already watering at the thought. After buying the truck to move the thing, it probably works out the same.
    After quite a bit of research, it seems the best path forward is DPSS with a fairly wide beam and a scanner set to accommodate. It seems 10W 532nm can be done at less than 1mrad *if* you are ok with a 6mm beam. Going to ask the suppliers about an 8mm and see what we can get the divergence down to.

An 8w 525nm direct diode in 8mm beam can be done in 0.5mrd or maybe even better. But as usual it comes down to $$$$$. If its a 1 off event go for dpss. If it needs to last for many years i would recommend to go direct diode. Its also much more service friendly on the long run. Dpss are a pain to repair and opsl is ridiculeus expencive if its need a repair.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!