Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A big YAG followed me home

Laser Warning A big YAG followed me home

I am a bit of a sucker for deals on cool stuff to tinker with even if I don't have an immediate use in mind, so obviously I couldn't pass up a $60 Quanta Ray when it showed up at a nearby surplus auction. Apparently all it takes to make big lasers appear is for me to clear some space in my garage for them to immediately occupy...and yes, it did all fit in the Element!

I can't find the battery for my good camera but did get some crappy cell pics in the meantime:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	54242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	4.81 MB 
ID:	54243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	54244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	54245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	54246
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	54247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07.jpg 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	54248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08.jpg 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	54249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	54250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	54251

I don't plan on attempting to run it for a while (until I have a proper lab room with power/water + door interlocks, hopefully later this fall), so is there anything I should check/do now before it is stored for a few months? It is a 10Hz Quanta Ray DCR-3, and the previous owners at UVA did drain the cooling water before selling it.

I'm fully aware of the electrical and optical dangers these beasts pose, and definitely don't plan on firing it up until it can be done safely (and ideally with another more experienced operator present). I've messed with more than my fair share of excessive voltages/large caps before as well as a couple smaller flashlamp pumped YAGs and dye lasers, but never thought I'd stumble across one of my own! I guess I don't need that "My other laser is on the death star" sticker anymore

Oh my goodness; this is looks brilliant.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

You need a real manual! The laser has all the harmonics! Great deal. Do not mess with anything without manuals. Best, Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

Very cool device! What is its output energy?

Look through this thread for a deathstar laser

https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sho...eathstar/page2

Quote Originally Posted by Laserbuilder View Post
    Very cool device! What is its output energy?

Look through this thread for a deathstar laser]
    I've been excitedly lurking in that thread since you posted it Nothing quite like working on a big old beast! I wish I had your luck finding copper vapor tubes, that's next on my list!

This one is from 1987, and from the brief digging I've done it looks like it can do 850mJ at 1064nm, 10Hz/8ns. Can't wait until I can build a proper lab for it!

"A big YAG followed me home". I know how you feel! Thing of beauty, isn't it? All that complex engineering, sooo expensive when new and it's still probably as near as good. And "vintage" too!

Can't wait until I can build a proper lab for it!
    I run my deathstar laser with 1000J of output in an ordinary kitchen at my flat. So I wouldn't mind. Power it on!

I think we all have the same sickness and thank God their is no cure! Awesome beast, I'm so jealous! Be very careful as if that one bites you most likely you won't be getting back up.

That's a beauty of engineering.

Default Seeking schematics for a Quanta-Ray model DCR-2A(20)

I just now joined photonlexicon to ask if anyone might have schematics and manual for a Quanta-Ray model DCR-2A(20)
    Because I have just been given a whole machine minus the optics. I'm evaluating what other uses I may be able to adapt the power supply for. This will be a lot easier if I can find schematics, rather than have to trace out the entire thing, PCBs included.

Others suggested I might find some help here.
    And what was the very first thread I opened, before even joining the forum?
    This one. Totally random choice. Amazing coincidence!

There's a thread about my unit here: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/an...husiasts-here/
    Mine was made in 1983.

I was quite sad that it had to be 'beheaded'. But there was some damage to the optics, bits missing, etc, and my friend had to get rid of the PS but wanted to keep the optics platform. It was never going to run again.
    Also I'm finding the electronics had been modified a fair bit over the years, and a few things were probably causing faults. Plus the cooling loop though drained was somewhat dirty inside, and I wonder if that would have sludged the insides of the flash - YAG water cooling chambers?

Anyway... does anyone know where I might find schematics and maybe a manual pdf for a Quanta-Ray model DCR-2A(20)?

Currently it looks like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181028_1516_guts.jpg