Thread: 3D Printed Laser Pointer Show. Pretty cool.

Default 3D Printed Laser Pointer Show. Pretty cool.

Aside from the wear and sloppiness from 3D printed parts, I still have to say that this is pretty cool. Very ingenious. It must have taken him a long time to match the "vector" movements and translate them to the lobes on the discs. He explains the math he uses to determine the output. This would make a good science project for those with kids.

Oh to have had something like this 30 years ago when galvos were so far out of my price range and anything beyond 15mW was a wallet pipe-dream. This would have been cool. Crude but then, the best I could manage at the time was a 4" woofer, a spring, a mirror and some hot glue!

Yeah pretty cool... Saw that posted quite a few months
    ago.

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by lasersbee View Post
    Yeah pretty cool... Saw that posted quite a few months
    ago.
    I'm pretty sure I posted about this last year when I first saw it on Reddit, but I can't find the thread. I do know that Chris (Lazerjock) made one of these with his 3D printer and brought it to SELEM... He had a few different sets of wheels (cams) to make various patterns. One of my favorites was the set that traced out the bat symbol!

Adam

PS: nothing wrong with a speaker-driven moving mirror from 30 years ago either!

You are no doubt correct on the time frame.
    As I get older time seems to fly by faster and
    faster...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

I only just saw this on Thingiverse when I made this post. It was in their featured item banner at the homepage. I don't normally frequent reddit and sometimes, I am away from here. Still, it's the Lounge so...

As for the speaker driven laser show, the FFT feature in Beyond has me emulating the squiggle that would be gotten from a speaker. Though not quite as chaotic, I have gotten a pretty nice squiggle effect. There's something that I miss from those good 'ole days. I'm actually thinking of adding a speaker or transducer driven squiggler as a separate output in my lumina rig. Audio driven galvonometers, no matter how sloppy, can't quite match that random chaos of a speaker cone and a spring. Probably just nastolgia kicking but if it was pretty then, why shouldn't it be now?