Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pondering Lumia Wheels, 3D Plastic & Torture Tubes - Another Round for Sale?

Default Pondering Lumia Wheels, 3D Plastic & Torture Tubes - Another Round for Sale?

Laser Friends,

After a 4+ year hiatus, I’m thinking about making another batch of lumia wheels, 3D plastic sheeting and torture tubes, all the same as before. Those that saw the last batches can attest to my quality and the nice effects I have been able to locate.

Pricing will be affordable, as I never did these to make a bunch of coin. What really adds to the cost will be the slow rotation motors if anyone wants a complete 12vdc plug n’ play solution from me.

Please let me know if there is still enough demand out there to warrant my setting my rig up again. Spares may be a good idea, as I prefer to work wth glass usually. Fragile, but the effects are sweet.

By the way, you can cut tempered glass - if you have a glass saw. I’m not using any tempered glass in my wheels, but it may be worth looking at this again, as I can cut it.

Please let me know if you are interested. I’ll post some anticipated prices soon.

Thanks,
    Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Interested depending on price.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hi Greg! Good to see you surface. Any chance you still have all the glass I sent you home from SELEM with to make me wheels from it? I know we discussed the cost back then of cutting and polishing the edges of each wheel but, I don't recall exactly what that was. There were two boxes and, each pane we determined should yield 4 wheels. Some was colored and therefore unusable but we said you could keep it for stained glass projects. I've since bought more glass and a circle cutter and other tools but, honestly they've just sat down in the basement waiting for "someday" to actually occur. Lol
    PM Sent...

Brad,

If I brought back any glass, it should still be here, as nothing has been thrown out. I’ll take a look and will let you know.

Greg

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Sounds good. I haven't been in any rush. It was a couple sample kits from one of the manufacturers. Probably only a few pieces with good potential and several that were colored and useless for me but, usable for your stained glass projects. If you don't find them, you don't find them. I think they were all about 8 inches square.
    PM Sent...

Hi Greg!

Great to see you back here! (You've been gone far too long dude...)

Count me in for some more Lumia glass. Especially if you have any of that original shower door glass that was so insanely popular back around 2012 or so... I'll probably spring for a few motors as well.

Adam

Wazzup Greg - good to see you online here again!
    (Been a bit scarce here myself lately - a career change at 56 has made for an interesting couple of years, LOL )

Count me in for at least a couple of 12vdc plug n’ play kits should you decide to start the Displaser Production Line back up!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

color me interested

Laser friends,

The glass pattern that I have used for years to make the lumia wheels has been discontinued (the original glass company was acquired by a competitor, who has stopped making this pattern). I was able to purchase a decent quantity at a higher price from a distributor, so I should be in good shape for the time being. I say this, as I will probably not make any lumia wheels after this next batch, so please keep watching this discussion if you are interested. I’ve looked through a bunch of glass over the years, so I’m not highly confident that I will find a decent replacement (at least in glass, maybe there is a plastic alternative out there?)

As mentioned earlier, I don’t drill the glass when making my wheels - this increases the glass waste, as well as increases the likelihood of the wheels cracking later. I use a spun aluminum mount that is epoxied to an etched area on the back side of the glass. The mount is actually part of the grinding jig that finishes the edge of the wheels. These will support a 6mm motor shaft, as this is the most common shaft size I see for the low-speed DC gearmotors. I may package the wheels with a gearmotor as an option. There’s quite a bit of time spent making these, as I’m not just cutting a glass circle and sending these out.

As soon as I receive my glass order, I will post the cost for the wheels. I don’t remember what I was selling them for several years back, but it won’t be $8-10 (I think they were like $15 before?). It will still be reasonable, whatever the amount.

Please stay tuned...

Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Yes ​ I very much want to get a set.