Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: maXYZmodules 405nm and 660nm

Default maXYZmodules 405nm and 660nm

I received my modules today from marconi. They are both in very good condition and have nice long lead wire coming out the back. As soon as I got them, I hooked the violet one up to the power supply and realized these are not lasers but rather instant gratification! (they really are lasers) The 405nm is very interesting, you can't focus on it with your eyes, it is like there is a ring around the dot and it is constantly changing shape. The red is nice and bright, it has good collimation, that's about it.

I then proceeded to perform spectroscopy on them using a OceanOptics USB4000 spectrometer. The 405nm module turned out to be about 406.443nm after a 10 minute warm up. The red was a bit of a let down at 666.573nm after 10 minutes.

I was impressed at the burning power of both units! My meter only goes to 200mw and the red peaked it out. The violet toped out at 24.8mW which is good for me. Both of the units are able to light a match, cut tape, and burn skin with a lens, but the red is able to do all of those without a lens.

Overall, I believe I got a good deal and they will both go into my collection along with about 250 other laser models.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails maXYZ 405nm 25mW.jpg  

maXYZ 660 225mW.jpg  

Last edited by Laser Ben; 05-27-2009 at 21:22.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Eh, that's pretty impressive for 25mW. I guess that helps prove that shorter wavelengths can be focused down to a much smaller point than longer wavelengths. I can't wait to see some beamshots from both of those units, especially the 405nm.

Ies, from what I understand, it is possible to focus a beam down to half of a wavelength. That is not taking into account the defects in the lens. I realized normal lenses are unable to be used with the 405nm because they absorb most of the light. I'll try to get better pictures tonight.
    CLICKY!!!

Lightbulb

Damn... That 405 was supposed to be mine... Not that I had the flow to get it when it was available. I've just been drooling over it for a while.

Are you going to add it to a projector?

I have to ask, why are you let down by the wavelength of the red? I would have figured the closer to 671 the better.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    Ies, from what I understand, it is possible to focus a beam down to half of a wavelength. That is not taking into account the defects in the lens. I realized normal lenses are unable to be used with the 405nm because they absorb most of the light. I'll try to get better pictures tonight.
    That's an interesting tidbit; didn't know that. I'd love to see what an Argon Fluoride or even a frequency-quadrupled Nd:YAG would do focused down to have their wavelengths. I thought that pure glass allowed UV light through, or am I mistaken? That's still cool that you could light a match even if the lens was absorbing most of the light.

Looking forward to some nice pics...

Default 405nm

Laser Ben,

Are you selling the 405nm unit on ebay?

http://www.tiny.cc/ucwtW

If that's you... you've been selling some other great stuff recently. Liked the large KDP and Yag rod...

G

Default 405nm

Ahem...Lets try this again:

http://tinyurl.com/yqbxvl

Yes, that's me, I am sorry to be selling this, and I honestly did not intend to sell it. But I have an optical spectrum analyzer in my sights for cheap and I want to buy it. I have a few more large yag rods that will go up next.
    CLICKY!!!

You know, I would consider a trade for a 473nm laser in the >75mw range. Then I would be able to make a white light system.
    CLICKY!!!

Cool

I recieved my modules today from marconi. <snip> Overall, I believe I got a good deal and they will both go into my collection along with about 250 other laser models.
    Yes, that's me, I am sorry to be selling this, and I honestly did not intend to sell it. But I have an optical spectrum analyzer in my sights for cheap and I want to buy it. I have a few more large yag rods that will go up next.
    That doesn't really add up there, Laserben... You said "both" were going into your collection and yet less than 24 hours later the blue ray module is up on E-bay? You mean you changed your mind that fast? Sounds to me like you planned to flip it on E-bay to make some $$$ to buy your analyser.

Don't get me wrong, you can do what you want, and a spectrum analyzer is a *cool* toy to have, but it sure sounds strange to tell people that you're planning to keep the laser in one post and then it turns up on E-bay the next day. Why even bother?

Adam

PS: Aaron, at least now you know where the blue-ray module is. You can always bid on it if you still want it...
    Last edited by buffo; 07-26-2007 at 06:51.