Thread: Generating WAV files

Default Generating WAV files

Hello all,

It was a pleasure meeting many of you at SELEM 18. You may have seen my crazy rig capable of playing multichannel WAV files in Eurorack, potentially for a laser show.

Where do these magical WAV files come from? I understand that some of them were sampled using an ILDA to USB audio adapter, like the Aldebaran WaveUSB. I also understand that older shows were on ADAT tapes and WAV is the modern version of that material.

Does any laser show software export to WAV? It doesn't look like LSX does it. Am I missing anyhing?

Thank you very much and hope to see you next year.

Aaron

Check out LaserBoy!

http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?...10.msg21#msg21

It is free and open source. It comes with a pre-compiled exe for Windows and the source code can be compiled for Linux and Mac OSX. It runs very well on a Raspberry Pi!

It is and always has been very connected to wave files.

It can generate a multi-channel wave file from a frame set. When it makes its own waves, they are encoded so that they can be opened in LaserBoy and give you back your frame set.

LaserBoy can also open wave files from other sources, but since they are not encoded by LaserBoy, there are no end of frame markers. So LaserBoy gives you a set of frames with a specific number of samples in each frame.

LaserBoy also lets you create your own frames with drawing tools and a variety of figure rendering tools like math forms similar to Spirograph and also text in a variety of fonts. You can also generate animations by starting with a single frame and applying a function that makes a frame set animation by moving, scaling and rotating individual segments within the frame. It can also start with a frame set and apply a function to create special effects. If you set up your computer to be able to compile the source code, you can create your own special effects to make animations.

LaserBoy also knows how to read DXF files made in some other vector art application. It can open a whole directory full of DXF files in alpha-numeric order to make a frame set.

LaserBoy reads and writes all formats of ILDA.

LaserBoy does so many things it is not possible to describe them all here!

DL it. Check it out and feel free to ask me lots of questions.

You will also find a lot of information on the forum that is dedicated to its use (plus lots of other topics).

Have fun!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by djtransistor View Post
    It was a pleasure meeting many of you at SELEM 18.
    Glad you could make it, Aaron! It was great to meet you, and I definitely enjoyed your DJ set. The Eurorack you brought was most impressive. I'm just sorry that Sal (Discothefunkyhippo) didn't bring his Eurorack with him this year so you two could compare notes.

Where do these magical WAV files come from? I understand that some of them were sampled using an ILDA to USB audio adapter, like the Aldebaran WaveUSB. I also understand that older shows were on ADAT tapes and WAV is the modern version of that material.
    The two examples you just mentioned (ADAT tapes and the WaveUSB device) are the primary sources of laser shows in 8-channel wave format. And unfortunately, it's a format that appears to be falling out of favor lately.

The only laser show software that will output directly to .wav format (that I'm aware of anyway) is James' Laserboy software that he explained above.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

The only laser show software that will output directly to .wav format (that I'm aware of anyway) is James' Laserboy software that he explained above.

Adam
    Don't forget about LWave!

https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sho...ng-LWave/page3

If I'm not mistaken, LWave generated wave files are in LaserBoy wave format too. So they can be properly opened as a frame set in LaserBoy.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.