Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vortex 285 FPV video (crash)

Exclamation Vortex 285 FPV video (crash)

Found a great spot to fly my FVP quadcopter not too long ago, so the second time I went out to fly I thought I'd shoot some video. This was yesterday. I have more video that I still need to edit before I upload it, but this one was pretty funny so I decided to put it up first.

It's a good example of what happens when you get too close to some low-hanging Spanish moss. (!) No real damage to the quad itself as a result of the crash, but the moss did manage to rip out the antenna wires on my receiver, which meant that I was done flying for the day.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjcOpCcNCWQ

Adam

PS: The date in the lower left-hand corner is incorrect. (I forgot to reset the date and time after charging the camera...)

LOL -
    Looked like some kick-ass flying in a kick-ass location ~
    Right up to the point that what appears to be a clump of Spanish moss reached out and swatted you out of the sky!!

Hey, that beeping sound is somehow familiar to me...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Looked like some kick-ass flying in a kick-ass location
    I don't know how good my flying was... I still have trouble keeping low to the ground. But I agree that the location is amazing. I'll probably go flying again later today or tomorrow.

Right up to the point that what appears to be a clump of Spanish moss reached out and swatted you out of the sky!!
    Yup. I think the down-draft from the rotors actually pulled the moss into the props. Although I was pitched forward a good bit due to the speed, so my rear props would have been higher than the camera's viewpoint. (And the camera that feeds my FPV goggles is even lower still.) So I may have hit it square on. Then too, the video that you see when flying isn't nearly as clear as this video. I saw the moss at the last second but thought that I was low enough to clear it. Guess not though!

Hey, that beeping sound is somehow familiar to me...
    I think it's both appropriate and hilarious that the Vortex sends out "SOS" in Morse Code whenever you disarm it. "I'm hurt... Find me. Save me!"

I uploaded another video from earlier that same day, although the camera glitched and I didn't get the entire flight recorded (it's missing a short section in the middle for some reason). But this is most of the flight just prior to the crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIbpVANH5kU

Adam

PS: The date and time in the lower left are incorrect. I forgot to reset it.

You crazy kids and your fast flying! Seriously, my brain doesn't work fast enough to do that.

I'm working on low and slow, myself - mostly trying to learn how to use the camera and take cinematic shots. This is the river across the street which is surprisingly scenic despite the many decades of toxic pollutants dumped by local textile mills, chemical companies and paper mills. (Thankfully many of these are now gone.)

-David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 09-02-2018 at 06:52.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Great location Adam!!!! Wish we were closer, I would love to fly there with you.

Looks like you hit ht square on. See screen shot just before the moment of truth. Lol
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adams Crash.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	426.8 KB 
ID:	54515
    Attachment 54514

David,
    I can't see the video.
    Says Unavailable.

Chris
    Last edited by Lazerjock; 09-02-2018 at 08:05.

I suppose Spanish moss investigation is just one of the things to a long list check list!

Chris: use this link instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=robjn_W3G-8

Also, in semi-related news, have you ordered a Mavic 2 yet?

-David

David,
    Thanks for the link, but it is dead too. I've never seen YouTube do this before.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YouTube.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	54516

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Also, in semi-related news, have you ordered a Mavic 2 yet?
    No, I plan to run ver 1 till the props fall off. Lol

Chris

Ah, my bad. I didn't hit "publish". If that doesn't do it, there is a link here.

Glad to hear you aren't jumping on the Mavic 2 bandwagon for now. It seems to have lost as much functionality as it added. Not to mention, if you lose your old Mavic, you can buy a new (v1) for 40% less than they cost two months ago. A real deal!

-David

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I guess I have to get my act together and upload a bit of footage from my new Mavic Pro. :-) Flying nearly every day. Chris, did you see my PM to you a couple weeks ago?
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Found a great spot to fly my FVP quadcopter not too long ago, so the second time I went out to fly I thought I'd shoot some video. This was yesterday. I have more video that I still need to edit before I upload it, but this one was pretty funny so I decided to put it up first.

It's a good example of what happens when you get too close to some low-hanging Spanish moss. (!) No real damage to the quad itself as a result of the crash, but the moss did manage to rip out the antenna wires on my receiver, which meant that I was done flying for the day.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjcOpCcNCWQ

Adam

PS: The date in the lower left-hand corner is incorrect. (I forgot to reset the date and time after charging the camera...)
    Ouch... Some nice flying Adam.
    Yeah I think the culprit was those hanging moss vines.

Just saw a review/test of the Mavic Pro V1 and the new MPV2 precision
    landing. The older MPV1 outperforms the new MPV2.
    There is no way I would buy a new product hot off the presses.
    I waited a year before buying my P4P+ and Mavic Pro. Haven't had any
    issues to date.

Jerry
    Last edited by lasersbee; 09-03-2018 at 03:01.
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions