Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY projectors

Exclamation Love the album of beam pictures!

WOW! Great pictures! Thanks for posting that.

I'm sure your friends love to come over for a beer or two so they can listen to music and watch lasers! (I know I'd love it anyway) Very cool dude.

Quote Originally Posted by juanma666 View Post
    I asked what type of glass is usually placed at the exit of the scanner and they told me that UV could be worth it.
    People often use a UV filter as the aperture window because it is inexpensive and usually has very good anti-reflective coatings for visible light. But that's only when someone builds the projector into a box or housing and wants to seal up the optical deck to keep dust out.

Since your projectors are on open plates, there isn't any need for an aperture window. Although if you did decide to build a housing around the plate at some point, then having the window would be helpful.

With the help of my colleague Jors (Atenlaser), he helped me to make the connections correctly and to understand to a large extent the operation of the different components.
    Jordi is a great guy! If he has been helping you, then you have been getting *very* good advice indeed. Some of the things he builds are utterly amazing.

Your craftsmanship is excellent, especially since you mentioned that you are just getting started with lasers. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Adam

I asked what type of glass is usually placed at the exit of the scanner and they told me that UV could be worth it.
    And as it is easy to get and economic ... I put them in all my projectors.
    I see. In my experience the anti-reflective windows that are typically used in projectors don't transmit UV well, but that is more of an unintentional side-effect not a desired trait. In your case, you don't need a window because you aren't keeping dust out of the optics plate as the whole projector is exposed to open air.

Kind Regards,

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Since your projectors are on open plates, there isn't any need for an aperture window. Although if you did decide to build a housing around the plate at some point, then having the window would be helpful.

just for making conversation, I prefer that this seemingly unnecessary piece of glass is there. It can keep the scanner mirrors protected from a finger or an accidental bump

some people find it irresistible, like compressing the dome of a soft dome tweeter
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    just for making conversation, I prefer that this seemingly unnecessary piece of glass is there. It can keep the scanner mirrors protected from a finger or an accidental bump

some people find it irresistible, like compressing the dome of a soft dome tweeter
    Ha,ha,ha.
    You have all the reason. I've seen some crushed soft dome tweeters.

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    It can keep the scanner mirrors protected from a finger or an accidental bump.
    That's a very good point that I hadn't considered!

I've seen some crushed soft dome tweeters.
    Yup. *Hate* it when that happens, right?

Adam

Superb work. Those speakers are also amazing.