Default 909test

DIY Testing pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15-out-front-90.jpg  

16-out-side.JPG  

02-as-was-mnt.JPG  

17-box-90.jpg  

01-as-was-90.jpg  

Where did you buy this unit? And when?

Wondering if this is the fabled "Home Depot" consumer laser product that Bill Benner was talking about a few years ago? Those don't look anything like compact 506 scanners though...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Where did you buy this unit? And when?

Wondering if this is the fabled "Home Depot" consumer laser product that Bill Benner was talking about a few years ago? Those don't look anything like compact 506 scanners though...

Adam
    I actually got this from one of my customers for free! I was working in a garage installing video and power cables for a DVR/Camera job last week. Said he used it last year for a couple of weeks and then got put away. As this person was moving last month, the box got dropped. He tested it and it did not work. I checked it and it was rattling when I shook the box!

I looked into the output window and only saw one galvo! He said I could have it if I wanted it! Well, yea, free is always good.
    I took it home and it sat till this weekend. I was able to open it up and found one galvo and its mirror loose inside. Glued the mirror back on temp with hot glue. Then was able to get the galvo lined up and secured. Now it works.

Graphics are pretty cheasy, but there actual x-y scanned graphics!

I only posted it here in the dump because I did not see a test forum! I was testing uploading pics, haven't done that on this site before. Hope that's ok?

I was testing because I will be starting a new thread about this unit, probably in modifications. I really don't plan on using it as is, I have other plans for it and a free x-y projector is the best price for experiments! I will be asking a bunch of Q's and will post other pics when I start a proper thread.

I looked, and this unit and another like it are actually still for sale. I'll post a link and you can see the units in action. Don't expect too much though

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Christmas-...as+laser+light

and

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Christmas-...as+laser+light

video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h880a594LO4

Quote Originally Posted by GRN05GT View Post
    I actually got this from one of my customers for free!
    Nice score! Especially since all you had to do was glue the mirror back on. BTW, if you haven't already made a more permanent repair, 2-part epoxy is what is normally used to hold those mirrors in place. Hot glue is probably going to fail sooner rather than later.

I only posted it here in the dump because I did not see a test forum! I was testing uploading pics, haven't done that on this site before. Hope that's ok?
    There's nothing wrong with posting it here, although most people don't look in this sub-forum, so it might not be seen. It's called the toxic waste dump because this is where the admin moves the most pointless, baiting, flame-war type threads once they get out of hand.

Your post doesn't really merit the "toxic waste" label though. In the future, you might want to post something like this in the "displays, shows, and scanning" sub forum, or if nothing else, you can always put it in the Lounge.

I really don't plan on using it as is, I have other plans for it and a free x-y projector is the best price for experiments!
    Agreed. Heck, even at the retail price (based on your links), it's a cheap toy that could easily be modified to do a bunch of interesting things. I'm thinking it would be a good housing for a low-power lumia projector... Rip out the existing green diode, stick in one of the single-mode RGB kits from DTR, and then slap some shower glass on the aperture window. Use the galvos to slowly steer the beam around, and you've got a cool Lumia unit...

All that being said, I don't think this is the projector that Bill Benner was talking about. But I am surprised at the low price nonetheless!

Adam

Yes, I will be doing a proper post about modding this unit, just got to get the time. In the middle of getting ready to move though.

And yes, the case is about 70% empty space! More than enough room to add and RGB module and Lumia setup. I have multiples of both to put inside and add a cooling fan as well.

The actual plan I had for this unit though was to be able to control the galvos via an audio signal. No graphics per say, just Lissajous patterns to music.
    I have built several itterations of these over the years, just not with true x-y style galvos. Your comment about the Lumia got me to thinking though.I could make the Lumia small enough to mount on a movable mount and be able to move the disc into the beam path and have the Lumia projection even more active, in-sync with music!

The trick is going to be controlling the galvos. There is no input port of any type on this device. I don't see any markings on the PCB or the galvos as to which wire is what. This is the part I will be asking for help about when I properly post it as a project. I have done some research into galvos and the ILDA standards and cable pinouts. Been doing electronics for over 20 years. Have all the tools, including an O-scope, just need the time and probably some help from some of you more familiar with scanners and projectors.

I am thinking I should be able to make the galvos work with something like this, post #45:
    https://laserpointerforums.com/threa...l.40569/page-3

Just need to identify the proper control leads to the galvos in the unit.

As soon as I get some time I will start the thread and post some close up shots of what I have to work with.