Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in high power 405nm diodes these days?

Very interesting find...sending you a pm

Good to see there is some interest in these. I'm hoping some of you will figure out more about the modules and share with the rest of us. As incentive, I'll give 2 free bonus modules for the first person to figure out a way to use the built-in driver without needing a negative voltage for the modulation signal (+1 module for a complete reverse-engineered schematic) and for the first person to provide a decent 3D model of the module (+1 module if you share the design on Fusion360) to help people integrate them into their projects

I'm keeping the PL member pricing to PMs right now. PM me if I haven't already sent you PL pricing. To order, paypal $price x # of modules + $7.20 for Priority Mail small flat rate box to paypal@junktronix.com. International shipping by Priority Mail flat rate will be $35.25. I'll ship in a padded envelope by first class if you really want me to, but you must take all responsibility for loss or damage.

For now I don't have time to disassemble the modules to sell the diode and optics as individual components. If you want to extract the diode and don't have a press tool, it should be possible to saw the copper heat spreader it's pressed into and then split it open. The collimator can be extracted by heating the epoxy with a hot air gun and pressing it out with a soft object like a q-tip. I will, if you request it, desolder the driver board if you don't have a good, anti-static vacuum desoldering tool.

I'll test each module individually. Briefly at 1250mA to make sure they have lots of headroom, and then at 1000mA to check operating power. I'll guarantee they make > 1.4W @ 1000ma. Most have been closer to 1.5W.

I put the pinout of the driver board on a second tab in the spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I suspect the modulation input can be changed from the weird 0 to -0.15V to a more reasonable positive range by rewiring the signal to the non inverting input of the instrumentation amp and reducing the gain of the amp. However, please note that the 2 transistors in parallel on the driver board are rated for 1000mA and the driver behaves weirdly above that. I've run it up to 2A without killing it, but I'd definitely recommend using a different driver if you're going to push the diodes to 1000mA or more. The spreadsheet data were collected while driving the diode with an external driver. I've been using a current limited bench supply for all my testing to avoid any possibility of over-driving the diodes. Any suggestions for a good quality, reasonably priced 1.5A diode driver with analog or fast TTL modulation would be appreciated.

I have not yet tried driving the tiny stepper motor, but it's a simple 4 wire motor and should be easy to wire up. It should be ideal for knife-edging since the rotating glass block offsets the beam left/right by a few mm without changing the aiming.

I'm in for a couple and I intend to extract the diodes, stack 'em and run them with BBE's Simpledrive v2.5.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

For those interested in driving the stepper motor, the board these plugged into has an On Semi LB1935FA chip dedicated to each diode module. I'm guessing 20-50mA per phase.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/ENA2060-D.PDF

Another update. I found that the laser diode can be removed from the copper heat spreader by just bending the copper a bit. The diode pops out with zero stress or chance of damage like if you used a press tool.

On eBay now - https://www.ebay.com/itm/113257993344

characters. PM Sent.

These are much cheaper than what was quoted me from a few chinese sources. I'll definitely pick one up at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    Another update. I found that the laser diode can be removed from the copper heat spreader by just bending the copper a bit. The diode pops out with zero stress or chance of damage like if you used a press tool.

On eBay now - https://www.ebay.com/itm/113257993344
    What size is the diode itself? 9mm?

5.6mm with 2 isolated leads so no photodiode

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    5.6mm with 2 isolated leads so no photodiode
    This is great. My 16x just led'd so I'll pick this up asap. Thanks Junktronix.