Thread: Everyone OK after Hurricane Florence? Check in!

Lightbulb Everyone OK after Hurricane Florence? Check in!

Just thought folks might want to check in after the storm... Here in Charleston it was basically a non-event. Sure, they ordered an evacuation, but the storm never got close enough to really cause much harm to us this far south. They stationed the hurricane team at the plant just in case, but it wasn't really needed. We got 30 mph winds and an inch or two of rain, so basically a typical thunderstorm. Didn't even lose power.

North Carolina, on the other hand, got hit pretty hard. It appears that it wasn't so much the wind as it was the rain and the storm surge. Spoke with Jeff (RGB-gas) yesterday and he said he was OK in his area (North-Central NC, near Lexington). But further to the south and east in NC looks pretty bad based on what I've seen on the Internet. Coastal areas near Wilmington are pretty badly flooded, and even areas as far inland as Lumberton are still pretty messed up.

Adam

Thanks for the update, Adam. All good here in Fort Mill just South of Charlotte. It was also a non-event for us. Our power went out for all of 90 minutes. We will keep getting some wind gusts today and tomorrow but I think this storm was overhyped unless you were in Florence, Writesville Beach or somewhere else on the coast or in a flood zone of course. I look forward to doing some flying over filled streams once the sky clears up.

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Default Updates on Hurricane Florence Damage

Thanks for checking in to those affected by the storm, water damage is the worst...!

Keep the updates coming in please, as well as any news of the Conover / Newton / Hickory area, in particular the Auditorium (and the great people there like Davis Ann, etc.)

Always waiting / preparing for any storms here in Orlando / Central Florida (which sadly are inevitable => price for living in paradise)

Aron
    Did my first "Laser Lumia Show" in 1974... and have never stopped experimenting !

I am in Raleigh. Nothing much happened here. Everything is fine.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lumia View Post
    any news of the Conover / Newton / Hickory area, in particular the Auditorium (and the great people there like Davis Ann, etc.)
    I got a text from Davis Ann earlier this morning. She is fine. A little flooding in her area, but nothing that they can't handle (mostly just standing water on a few streets). The Principal at her school had a death in the family, however. The guy's brother was in Columbia, SC during the storm and was involved in a fatal traffic accident.

Also, I just got a text from Jill at the auditorium a little while ago. She and her family are fine, she said that the town of Newton is fine, and the Auditorium weathered the storm with no ill effects! Evidently all they had was some rain, and thanks to the new weatherstripping on the loading dock doors they had no leaks this time.

Glad to hear that both the Charlotte and Raleigh areas made it OK!

Adam

It was a non-event at my house and we had power the whole time. But at work, Nothrop Grumman Synoptics, we lost power for about 4 hours. That means all of our crystal growth stations had to be turned off. So anyone waiting for some high end laser crystals could be impacted. It takes a couple weeks to get all the stations fired back up and then over a month to grow the crystals. It could have been alot worse. If the water would have stopped we would have had molten lava all over the floor and water lines turned into steam bombs. So luckily our backup systems held, city water was unaffected, and the power was not off for too long.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981