Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Half RPM DC Motor Anyone?

Default Tiny Half RPM DC Motor Anyone?

Hi

Does anyone know of a really tiny half RPM (or 1 RPM max) DC Motor? Probably about half the length of a 'C' sized battery and similar diameter (or even smaller).

Yes, this is for lumia, but for a very minature project. Most of the available motors are simply too big for this project.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Hi

Does anyone know of a really tiny half RPM (or 1 RPM max) DC Motor? Probably about half the length of a 'C' sized battery and similar diameter (or even smaller).

Yes, this is for lumia, but for a very minature project. Most of the available motors are simply too big for this project.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jem
    For something that small, I’d look for some electric clock parts. They make some very small “analog clock cores” for DIY wall clocks. Take the second hand drive and gear down by 1/2 or potentially run the motor at lower voltage for 1/2 RPM.

Bonus 1/60 and 1/1440 RPM drives if you use the outputs for the minute and hour hands!

Edit:
    Make sure that the second hand "sweeps" instead of "ticks"
    Last edited by CountFunkula; 09-28-2018 at 08:09.

Quote Originally Posted by CountFunkula View Post
    For something that small, I’d look for some electric clock parts. They make some very small “analog clock cores” for DIY wall clocks. Take the second hand drive and gear down by 1/2 or potentially run the motor at lower voltage for 1/2 RPM.

Bonus 1/60 and 1/1440 RPM drives if you use the outputs for the minute and hour hands!

Edit:
    Make sure that the second hand "sweeps" instead of "ticks"
    I took one of the 1/2 rpm units and drove a second one with the first one. Moved so slow I had to come back 15 min later to see a change.

I know you asked for a dc motor, but please consider investing some time into arduino code.
    90% of the coding is already done in libraries.

take this stepper : 28BYJ-48 , a small unipolar driver, and an arduino nano
    And you will be able to rotate it as fast/slow in any sequence you want.

Teaching myself some arduino is the best thing I recently did, because I now can develop all kinds of projects I considered to fancy / expensive/ time consuming.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Question: Do the stepper motors rotate very smoothly?

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Question: Do the stepper motors rotate very smoothly?

Cheers

Jem
    If you microstep them you can get the cogging down to fractions of a degree / step; they'll never be perfectly smooth though.

The one I pointed to has build in gear reduction. It makes 360/2048 degrees per step. Most others don't.

On a project I used a 200 step motor with a 1/32 microstep driver to rotate transmission gratings. It was smooth enough for me. Though I cant say it was perfectly un-noticeable.

The quartz clock movement I ordered arrived today. It’s very small and looks extremely promising 😀

It’s also supposedly reasonably high torque so hopefully will fit the bill quite nicely.

Thanks for the links to the other motors, but with the exception of that small stepper they’re all far too big for my requirements.