Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DAC_ILDA - using multi-channel audio interface to ILDA

Default DAC_ILDA - using multi-channel audio interface to ILDA

I imagined using an audio DAC (ie. MOTU Ultralite) to ILDA has already been a topic on here, but couldn't find a thread (or used the wrong search terms). Already had great success using an EtherDream to control my laser via OpenFrameworks, but was interested to send directly from Processing (now using my XYscope library for vector graphics to audio signals). Once learning that ILDA is an analog signal, talked with a few folks and gave it a go = woohoo, it worked!

Made a tutorial on the process and happy for any feedback/critiques from this expert community.

DAC_ILDA on Github

Attached as PDF as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by ffd8 View Post
    I imagined using an audio DAC (ie. MOTU Ultralite) to ILDA has already been a topic on here, but couldn't find a thread (or used the wrong search terms). Already had great success using an EtherDream to control my laser via OpenFrameworks, but was interested to send directly from Processing (now using my XYscope library for vector graphics to audio signals). Once learning that ILDA is an analog signal, talked with a few folks and gave it a go = woohoo, it worked!

Made a tutorial on the process and happy for any feedback/critiques from this expert community.

DAC_ILDA on Github

Attached as PDF as well.
    Which DAC are you using? Getting the output voltages corrected and making it work well with Windows drivers has always been the largest challenge.
    My software (Spaghetti Laser Show) natively supports audio DACs , by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Which DAC are you using? Getting the output voltages corrected and making it work well with Windows drivers has always been the largest challenge.
    My software (Spaghetti Laser Show) natively supports audio DACs , by the way.
    MOTU Ultralite 3 Hybrid – it's been a great DC-coupled DAC for driving oscilloscopes and other vector displays.
    I can imagine the voltage levels will be tricky.. guess and checking from Processing is in my horizon...

MOTU Ultralite 3 Hybrid – it's been a great DC-coupled DAC for driving oscilloscopes and other vector displays.
    I can imagine the voltage levels will be tricky.. guess and checking from Processing is in my horizon...
    That's one high end audio DAC- I'm really surprised that it's direct coupled in this age. Great job on the tutorial! Check out my free app LWave- it can put a multi-channel audio device through the paces.

If you are interested in applications that make laser control signals for all six channels of an audio DAC, you should look at LaserBoy. Been doing it since 2004. It's free, open source, comes with a pre-compiled Windows app and can be compiled for Linux and Mac OSX.

It reads and writes all forms of ILDA. It reads DXF files and directories. It reads and writes plain ASCII text tables and it reads and writes standard 6 channel MS RIFF Wave files.

It's also a full 24-bit color 3D vector creation, editing, rendering and effects generating application.

See my signature below for the download link.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

(now using my XYscope library for vector graphics to audio signals). Once learning that ILDA is an analog signal, talked with a few folks and gave it a go = woohoo, it worked!

DAC_ILDA on Github

Attached as PDF as well.
    Somehow, I managed to fumble and dummy my way to get XYscope to work on my computer- way out of familiar territory for me, but I was happy to see some results! Thanks for posting.
    I did notice that some of the example files might be a bit beyond the frequency/speed range of common laser galvos. Fun stuff!

At SELEM this year, Lumia educated us on the use of some pretty interesting software. For his output hardware, he uses a Motu 24ao DAC. It's a great piece of kit. 24 channel differential output, DC coupled.

Since we are kinda on the subject....

Can we get a complete-ish list of applications or techniques that use a modified sound device as a DAC?

LaserBoy
    LWave
    Spaghetti
    ADAT transcribed waves

What else?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post

Can we get a complete-ish list of applications or techniques that use a modified sound device as a DAC?

LaserBoy
    LWave
    Spaghetti
    ADAT transcribed waves

What else?
    Heathcliff. It might be the original.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post

LaserBoy
    LWave
    Spaghetti
    ADAT transcribed waves

What else?
    EZ AuDAC (a dll to access audio cards using EZLase protocol)
    SpiroDAC