Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween laser show, FAA clearance?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Ok so.... no you don't have a variance. You've never had a variance and, you don't have variance paperwork in process. That is basically what your paperwork indicates.

I've not seen a denial or request for more information letter before - yours is the first. "My" interpretation of what I'm seeing is either a) you filed listing a Kvant projector model that they don't have any records on from Kvant or, b) you didn't fill out paperwork properly. You're not Kvant so... you can't file a product report for/on behalf of them. So I don't know what on earth you mailed them when they asked for a product report.

I'm thinking you need to start the process from scratch again and, have someone review your paperwork before submitting it to the CDRH.
    PM Sent...

" We cannot process your request because we have not received the laser product report for your laser light show"

This line seems to be asking for a product report on the light show, and not the projector to me.

My understanding was that this was a requirement. Also, take a look at the projector identification section of the variance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cm3000.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	54658
    The model of the projector is correctly listed, but it also asks for a name/model number of the laser show, which is not provided here.

Also, when I did fill out the product report it was clear that it was for laser light shows, not projectors. There are multiple kinds of product reports listed on the website, including this one, which I filled out.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/ReportsManualsForms/Forms/UCM081634.pdf

Nothing makes sense anymore...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

It's been a few years since I've really gone through this thoroughly but, I believe this is the one you want:

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutF.../UCM080788.pdf

I don't have my binder here at work with me to double check and this looks like a more recent form. To me... it looks like you sent in an old report to let them know about an upcoming laser light show performance which we ceased having to do a few years ago. Now, you just provide an annual report listing all of the shows that you did for the prior year.

I do know in my old variance application you did list projectors but, technically you don't necessarily have to as, you may rent your gear - not own it - and not necessarily know what gear you may need to rent for a particular application. In fact, a manufacturer technically isn't allowed to SELL you a particular projector before you have a variance in the first place so, putting the cart before the horse, you HAVE to have a show variance approved in order to GET a projector. I've never owned or even seen many of the projectors that were listed on my original application (I had help completing it). But we listed a whole bunch of legal projector models because the thinking the possibility exists that someday I "could" end up using one.

Similar to the question of where a show may be performed. I may never do a show in a planetarium but, that box is checked because who knows... some day I might so, my variance allows for that. I may never do rear screen projection but, that box is checked so my variance allows for that. You just don't want to check "audience scanning" or I believe it's "static irradiation of moving mirror balls". That requires whole heaps of 'splainin to do.
    PM Sent...

Thanks, everyone. Looks like I'll need to try this again. The form I filled out is the one you linked, but I must have made a mistake. Would it be possible for you to show me how you filled yours out? Do you know the procedure for reapplying? I also wondered about contacting them through the information provided in the letter to troubleshoot. Do you think this would be wise?

Definitely a little frustrating that I won't be able to run my show this year.
    Last edited by Glrock; 10-22-2018 at 16:34.

Default cdrh help

well who ever sold you the projector is at fault they should have never sent you a projector till your variance fs in effect

but that said i can help you sort it out

http://laserupgrade.com/

Got my Halloween show tested tonight.

As soon as I tipped the projector up 45 degrees, the red went way out of alignment.. so I had to reach up onto the pedastal where the projector was sitting (above my head) and align the red "blind". Got it pretty well aligned. The display area is about 15'x15' above our front porch (see photo below).

But as I let the projector run for 15 or 20 minutes, all the beams were drifting out of alignment (it was about 45F outside).

So I suspect when it comes to Halloween night, I'll be aligning the thing a few times throughout the evening. But I'm pretty happy with how it looks (ignoring the shutter rolling).

I'm also getting a low-lying fog machine to have fog cascading down the front steps, and a couple of orange uplights. It's not much of a Halloween display, but it's the first time I'm doing anything like this, so it's a start.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  

Here's the end result with lighting, fog, and lasers.

That's my wife up there as the witch. She's also in costume.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Here's the end result with lighting, fog, and lasers.
    Looking good. Looks like you have a little scanner wobble though. What galvos are you using?

For anyone interested, here is the show I was planning to use until I started this thread. It was originally a pangolin show, but I spent a lot of time improving it and adding some of my own graphics.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Glrock; 11-02-2018 at 16:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Glrock View Post
    Looking good. Looks like you have a little scanner wobble though. What galvos are you using?
    I think it's a combination of other factors. The projector was outside, tilted up about 40 degrees. I was running beyond 3 on an old old Dell notebook. There may have been crosstalk on the ilda cable with the power cable nearby. I wasn't going for perfection, just a good show for the kids, I just threw the projector up on a pedestal, plugged in the computer on the grass, and let it run.

Buffo can comment on the galvos in the box. I think he said they were DT-40 clones.

Correction: Buffo says: "it has DT-40 Pro scanners in it, and those amps are clones of the reference Cambridge 6800 amp."

Looks like you've got a signal issue there, Hank. Could be related to the cable problem we discussed via e-mail. I'm starting to think you may have a damaged pin on your ILDA-in port on the projector.

Regardless, the image should not tremble like that. It's not a galvo problem, it's a signal-to-noise problem, which strongly suggests a bad cable or a bad connector (port). It could also be faulty wiring inside the projector, but we know it was working OK before, and you haven't done anything to the internals recently, so that rules out bad wiring.

Adam