Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ILDA 2018 1st Place Laser Show

Default ILDA 2018 1st Place Laser Show

Really had a great time at ILDA this year. This was my first time attending. I met some amazing people and was able to catch up with people I already knew. The abstract category had some tough competition this year but I was able to squeak out a win for the second year in a row. Enjoy.

Watching Lasers Since 1981

Congratulations! Show looks great!

Congrats! You deserve it.

Its a beautiful and fun show that looks even better in person.

For those of you who didn't know, the abstract category was swept between Jason and Christopher Short (Swamidog) in 2018, just as they did in 2017. When Jason says he 'squeeked out his first place this year', he really means it. The initial judges scores for what became first, second and third place were identical. ILDA no longer allows ties, so they had to go into deliberations on how to sort the first through third place.

Congratulations to you both! Wholly deserved!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I agree that Jason and Chris' work is always fantastic, and I'm happy to see that together they managed to sweep the abstract category once again this year.
    But how about some love for our own David Kumpula, who snagged a few ILDA awards of his own this year!

The glow-in-the-dark one was a shoe-in, in my opinion, although I thought it should have placed higher. But I was also pleased to see the Laser Disco win for "permanent installation". The mixed-media win (train show) was just icing on the cake!

We're definitely getting the attention of the big shots over here... (About damned time, too!)

Adam

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

don't forget kang (theo) who picked up a first place for single XY beam show.

our little hobbyist community is doing amazing work and it's so great to see industry recognition reflecting that.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I agree that Jason and Chris' work is always fantastic, and I'm happy to see that together they managed to sweep the abstract category once again this year.
    But how about some love for our own David Kumpula, who snagged a few ILDA awards of his own this year!

The glow-in-the-dark one was a shoe-in, in my opinion, although I thought it should have placed higher. But I was also pleased to see the Laser Disco win for "permanent installation". The mixed-media win (train show) was just icing on the cake!

We're definitely getting the attention of the big shots over here... (About damned time, too!)

Adam
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Per capita Fort Mill SC won the most awards at ILDA this year. Almost won the most flat out but KVANT snagged 5 awards. Bratislava has 400k people Fort Mill only has 17k.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Per capita Fort Mill SC won the most awards at ILDA this year. Almost won the most flat out but KVANT snagged 5 awards. Bratislava has 400k people Fort Mill only has 17k.
    if i move there, we'd probably get nuked by a disgruntled laser show company.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    if i move there, we'd probably get nuked by a disgruntled laser show company.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    I love it! Fort Mill, SC also has the highest number of laserists per capita (4:17,000) making it the small town laserist capital!

Adam: Thank you for the kind words. If I can do it, anyone can! I’ll post some related stuff in another thread shortly, but I admit I enjoyed my 15 minutes of fame. It was like being Swamidog for a day! Sadly, the next day I was just me again!

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

well not so fast....Cleveland might be a contender for number of laserists but not per capita.