Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Another newbie, question about usb dmx dongle

Like I said, LaserBoy is the same as LFI Player for the Default palette. Anarchy is different. So I must not have gotten the table from Anarchy. Although, it is right there in a plain text file. So it would have been super easy. The only way I see to get the palette table from LFI Player is to look at the source code. When did it go into open source? I don't think it was in 2003 when I started writing ILDA file code. I never even downloaded anything by LFI until yesterday!

BTW, at the same time in 2003 I got the color tables for X29 and the ILDA Standard palette which has all 256 values defined and starts with index zero as black.
    Last edited by james; 12-10-2018 at 15:03.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    You're getting saucy in your old age.

Anyway....

I did a bit more testing. I made a frame with lines of palette indexes 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60.
    I used the same technique of capturing the screen to Paint Shop Pro and checked the RGB values of each line.
    For this group of palette indexes, LaserBoy and LFI Player are exactly the same!
    Looking into it a bit further, it seems like the difference between (LB + LFI) and Anarchy is at index 46. Anarchy has a value in that position of (192, 0, 255) and all of the indexes that follow it are pushed up one place from there to the end of the palette (compared to LB & LFI).

So, white is 55 and 57 in both LaserBoy and LFI.
    White is 56 and 58 in Anarchy.
    White is only 56 in the 2014 ILDA Spec.

So I am really confused now about where I got the RGB table for the Default palette! I really don't remember. Did I get it from the same source as LFI Player or did LFI Player get it from LaserBoy?

BTW, neither Anarchy or LFI Player seem to be able to read an ILDA format 2 color palette. I put an alternate palette in the middle of in.ild and both apps fail to read the file entirely.

UPDATE: I just downloaded the source code for LFI Player and found the file where the included palettes are defined. It is dated 2005 in the header of the file. That was well before any public release of LaserBoy. I have no reason to believe that the palette definitions in this file have been altered since they were first written. So it's safe to say that LaserBoy got the same palette definition some time later. One difference is that the last unique value in the palette is repeated to the end of a full 256 values.
    Anarchy has the ability to save and load its own custom palettes and it works within the context of the program, but it's implementation of format 2 tables isn't quite right to the ILDA standard.

To me it looks like you just skipped #46 in the Anarchy table so #63 was left over and you set it to black. When I made my ILD reader, I assumed Anarchy #58 was a typo, since white was already in #56 so I set green and blue in #58 to 192 to conform to the overall palette pattern. I also saw a blip at Anarchy #35 where red was 10 when it should be 0 to fit the overall pattern.
    Once these two blips are corrected, the only key difference between Anarchy and ILDA table is that Anarchy has a radical drop in green level starting at #32, the ILDA version is more consistent with the overall palette pattern- perhaps this is the P word tweak that Steve spoke of.

Bring forth The Holy Handgrenade Of Antioch!

Did you see the guy in GB try to remove The Mace from The House of Commons?

No official business can be conducted without it sitting on a table in the middle of the room. It is in fact the presence of The Crown or The Queen herself.
    Last edited by james; 12-10-2018 at 20:43.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerilyng View Post
    Hmm, I do have LaserBoy on my Mac, can you run through how I do that? How does it do on colors, they don't have to be perfect.

I have got a couple of Ildas to play but I can't figure out why one works and one doesn't.
    OK, enough of the Scribes and Pharisees debates... Back to original topic-
    Jerilyng, were you able to get any ILD files from LaserBoy to load in your setup?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

OK, that probably explains why my Anarchy Type II files never quite worked with a certain cheap projector in Oz, but did work with my Spencer's Gifts projector toy.
    Thanks Dean for that.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Cool

We got our own mace in the US House. It is supposed to be presented to members to quiet them down in a knock-down drag out. Its other use is to tell the members if they are meeting or in committee by moving it around. However the members can edit the Congressional Record of its use against themselves, so there is no recorded use for achieving peace in recent times. Ours is a symbol of the appointed chief law enforcement officer of the House, and is also a symbol of the Members of Elected Offices of a Representative Republic, not the Rights of a King or Queen in the Name of the Sovereign.

PS.. Our first Mace was Burned by the Brits in the War of 1812, aka "The Second War of American Independence" as payback for burning down a parliament building in what became Canada. So there is just something about Brits and Maces... We got a nicer capital building out of the deal long term, as the first one was wood. So you can huff, and puff, and blow at it, but it will stay up.

Although there are just some times I really like Lizzy's style and think the Brits have a very cool symbolic Boss.. Brexit is going to be a mess for a while. Should make for good TV, but may case minor issues for UK LEM travel. Back to Lasers, as I see no fanged rabbits here in 'Merica...

See, I learned something while studying for that otherwise useless Liberal Arts Degree.

PS, Dear Brit friends, if you get in a civil or European war, ditch the traditional red jackets, they make nice high contrast images in target sights.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-11-2018 at 11:38.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Wink

Bring forth The Holy Hand Grenade Of Antioch!
    "Five is right out!"

Adam

This is amusing.

This is in the header of the source code file from LFI Player that defines the built-in palettes.

Code:
    // *********************************************************
    // *                                                       *
    // * Copyright 1998-2005, Lazerus Laser Systems            *
    // * Author: Michael G. Svob                               *
    // * File Name: Cheap3DViewPalette.cpp                     *
    // * Description: Contains the supported color palette     *
    // * tables, as well as a "reverse look-up" method to get  *
    // * the closest table entry based on an RGB value. Values *
    // * for the Laser Illusions, Pangolin, and X29 color      *
    // * palettes originally derived from Andrew Kozin's       *
    // * Anarchy Editor ".pal" data files, Copyright 1998,     *
    // * Illegal Systems Corp. and Laser Action Ltd..          *
    // * This code is distributed under the GNU Public License *
    // * which can be found at...                              *
    // * http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt                   *
    But, like I said before, the Default palette defined in LFI is exactly the same as what is in LaserBoy and not the same as Anarchy!
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, 'O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu...

Skip a bit, brother...

And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out! Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Amen.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

This is amusing.

This is in the header of the source code file from LFI Player that defines the built-in palettes.

Code:
    // * Copyright 1998-2005, Lazerus Laser Systems            *
    // * Author: Michael G. Svob                               *
    // * File Name: Cheap3DViewPalette.cpp                     *
    // * Description: Contains the supported color palette     *
    // * tables, as well as a "reverse look-up" method to get  *
    // * the closest table entry based on an RGB value. Values *
    // * for the Laser Illusions, Pangolin, and X29 color      *
    // * palettes originally derived from Andrew Kozin's       *
    // * Anarchy Editor ".pal" data files, Copyright 1998,     *
    // * Illegal Systems Corp. and Laser Action Ltd..          *
    // * This code is distributed under the GNU Public License *
    // * which can be found at...                              *
    // * http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt                   *
    But, like I said before, the Default palette defined in LFI is exactly the same as what is in LaserBoy and not the same as Anarchy!

OK, now for more confusion: LBoy has a palette called ILDA which is the same values as Laser Illusions as seen in Anarchy -what's up? (see correction)

LFI has 4 choices: Pango, X29, ILDA and Laser Illusions. James, since you have the LFI code in front of you, take a look.

Correction- I'm looking the LFI code now, LBoy matches the ILDA palette in LFI. The Laser Illusions palette is nearly identical- the difference I've found so far is the order of a few primary colors in indexes 3-6.
    Last edited by dchammonds; 12-12-2018 at 16:01.