Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser Tattoo removers

Quote Originally Posted by fiberguy View Post
    Its a Nd Yag Laser. So I doubt it is 808nm.
    Was going on prior speculation that it was a direct diode laser with the diode in the "gun", not an Nd:YAG.

Looks like the company does both and the image you linked is their Nd:YAG model (or one of them) based on the file name.

They do have 808nm diode models.

http://www.ipldiodelaserhairremoval.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    Was going on prior speculation that it was a direct diode laser with the diode in the "gun", not an Nd:YAG.

Looks like the company does both and the image you linked is their Nd:YAG model (or one of them) based on the file name.

They do have 808nm diode models.

http://www.ipldiodelaserhairremoval.com/
    Apologies the image I sent is not the actual machine it was just one similar to what I was looking at. It was just a quick google image search.

Apologies the image I sent is not the actual machine it was just one similar to what I was looking at. It was just a quick google image search.
    No worries, just a miscommunication! Keep us updated if you get it, I've seen these come up before and have been curious about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    No worries, just a miscommunication! Keep us updated if you get it, I've seen these come up before and have been curious about them.

No worries. Once I end up getting it Ill post some of the links on where I bought the stuff. The seller is selling some other assorted Medical laser parts that might be worth while. Although most of them not so much. Honestly really excited. Although I am dreading when I have to buy proper laser protection. That will be a bit of a hit to the wallet as I don't want to cheap out :P. I rather keep my eyes.

the image I sent is not the actual machine it was just one similar to what I was looking at.
    OK, this is confusing. I'm nearly positive that the laser in the youtube video you originally posted was *not* a YAG. For sure it didn't have a flashlamp, and while there are direct-diode-pumped YAG lasers, given how small the "gun" was in the video I don't think a diode-pumped YAG would fit in there. (At least, not one with enough output power to be able to destroy tattoo ink!) My assumption was that the unit in the video was a direct diode laser (or an array of multi-mode diodes, even), with an output at either 805 or 808 nm.

Now you say that the laser you purchased is "similar" to the one in the video. Are you sure it's the same? Because if the laser you bought specifies that it outputs at 1064 nm, then it must be a YAG. However, if that is true then it would almost have to be fiber-launched from the base unit up to the "gun". And there wasn't any sign of a fiber optic cable in the youtube video. (Just the cooling water hoses and the two wires to supply DC power to the diodes.) I'm worried that if you purchase just the "gun" you might end up with nothing more than the end of the fiber and a lens...

Like I said, the only way the laser in the youtube video could be a YAG (outputting at 1064 nm) and *not* be fiber-fed is if it was a direct-diode-pumped YAG, but in that case the laser cooling block in the "gun" doesn't appear to be large enough to contain the YAG rod, the diode pump array, and all the cooling water channels.

The tattoo removal lasers I've seen (and indeed, all medical lasers in general that I've worked with) have all had the laser mounted in a separate base unit with a fiber feed to the "gun". This includes both flashlamp-pumped YAG lasers and direct-diode-pumped YAG lasers, to say nothing of the older ion lasers.

I hope I'm mistaken, because it would suck for you to buy that laser but only have the "gun" shipped to you and then discover that the guts you really wanted are still in the base unit.

Adam

Looks like it got lucky it is a full laser!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181207_160221.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	54836

although seems to be missing a mirror or lens on one end. I am kinda worried about opening it up atm as I dont want to mess with the alignment.

WOW! That head assembly ("gun") is much bigger than the one in the Youtube video you posted. And look at the size of the wiring... Plenty of current available.

Given how much larger this unit is, it very well could be a diode-pumped YAG.

Adam

Yeah, its strange though. I think it is missing its front mirror. The listing I bought it from claimed it was a q switched nd yag laser. Here are some photos of it. I was expecting a simple laser cavity with two mirrors and nd yag in the middle. Possibly a spinning mirror for q switching. There is this weird dark crystal in the back of the laser. Is it possible that the laser uses some type of passive q switching like a saturable absorber? Any tips on figuring out what type of mirror I need for the other end. I don't need to worry about mounting as I can just fabricate a part to mount it. I have no idea what % mirror I need to use. still slowly working my way though a class on Lasers & Optoelectronics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	54858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181210_170932.jpg 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	54854Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181210_170957.jpg 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	54855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181210_171006.jpg 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	54856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181210_171013.jpg 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	54857

There is this weird dark crystal in the back of the laser. Is it possible that the laser uses some type of passive q switching like a saturable absorber?
    I've never heard of a passively-q-switched YAG before. More to the point, I don't see a mirror behind the dark block, so even if that was the Q-switch, where is the other mirror?

I have no idea what % mirror I need to use.
    Yeah, me neither.

From the pictures you posted, it's unclear if the YAG rod is even in place... Can you look down the front (where the output coupler would be if it was present) and see the rod?

Adam

Yeah, you can only see it if you shine light into it so I wasn't able to get a photo but the rod is there. But yeah I was trying to figure out where the mirrors where. Interesting. I just googled mirrors for 1064nm and they are semi transparent to visible light and match what is on the back of my laser. Guess that kinda makes sense. Sort of like how Lidar will reflect off of lexan like a mirror.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=10...50226413711770

Edit figured out what the random crystal is. Cr:YAG q switch

Also link to passive q switching.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-swit...ve_Q-switching