Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Laser media frequencies

Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    Now builds? They acquired Scientific Materials Corp. in 2005, which itself was incorporated in 1989.
    Well it’s new to me I can delete it if it upsets people

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Now builds? They acquired Scientific Materials Corp. in 2005, which itself was incorporated in 1989.
    Who' principals had made some really nice rods even 15 years before that at another company. As in some of the first commercial rods.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Who' principals had made some really nice rods even 15 years before that at another company. As in some of the first commercial rods.

Steve
    Yay there’s Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by akmetal View Post
    Yay there’s Steve.
    Considering a modest sized bare ND:YAG rod (max 120 watts of IR output when lamp pumped, 2014 quote, pre buyout pricing ) with polished and coated ends from them starts at ~ 800$, What are you trying to do?

Steve

Considering a modest sized bare ND:YAG rod (max 120 watts of IR output when lamp pumped, 2014 quote, pre buyout pricing ) with polished and coated ends from them starts at ~ 800$, What are you trying to do?

Steve
    What ever I do it won’t be spending $800. I am trying to get educated to redue my entire design.

I am looking up how the diodes work with a mind as to how I could custom machine parts, for the crystal I will probably buy one, I saw one on eBay for like $150.

I am simultaneously working with a friend to upgrade my cnc machine so I can custom make as much stuff as possible from bulk materials.

Once I develop an idea I build it out in solid works. The total project will probably cost a lot but I enjoy it so if I die before I complete it that’s ok.

My work situation is ideal time and job satisfaction wise but income wise not so good. I used to be an oil and gas process engineer but our contracts got cut and our family is not excited about moving to Timbucktu and my wife makes good money so we are fine I just can’t drip thousands on equipment tools and parts anymore.
    Last edited by akmetal; 12-19-2018 at 14:09.

What ever I do it won’t be spending $800. I am trying to get educated to redue my entire design.

I am looking up how the diodes work with a mind as to how I could custom machine parts, for the crystal I will probably buy one, I saw one on eBay for like $150.

I am simultaneously working with a friend to upgrade my cnc machine so I can custom make as much stuff as possible from bulk materials.

Once I develop an idea I build it out in solid works. The total project will probably cost a lot but I enjoy it so if I die before I complete it that’s ok.

My work situation is ideal time and job satisfaction wise but income wise not so good. I used to be an oil and gas process engineer but our contracts got cut and our family is not excited about moving to Timbucktu and my wife makes good money so we are fine I just can’t drip thousands on equipment tools and parts anymore.

So, scaling back from your original plans of 10-40kW CW?

So, scaling back from your original plans of 10-40kW CW?
    Since I’m completely switching designs I don’t know what is achievable but the over all goal of the laser is the same, it has to have significant reach otherwise this endeavor is a failure. Whether that means 10kw 5kw etc I don’t know.

Assuming a generous 0.1 mRad divergence, at 40 kilowatts, your only an eye hazard to well over 45,000 meters, or about 28 miles. You'd have to notify DOD and FAA just to fire the laser. DOD notifies the recon sat project offices, who will want to say yes/no in a very serious and real time way. The Notice to Airman and Laser Safety Paperwork is time consuming, trust me, I've done it for 7 Watts very close to three Class Bravos a few tens of miles apart.

We once had one fellow on the forum with two up-collimated 45 watt Copper Vapor Lasers with similar divergence, and it was hinted that he got to talk to the powers that be in a very serious way every time he did a outdoor show. Basically you'll be lucky if you can get a land based test window as a civilian at all, given the amount of orbital objects "up there" these days. Might not want to promise your investors anything before you have that worked out.

Plan on installing a minimum of two dedicated manned "hotlines" at your test site, if you can FIND a test site. Civilian radars for laser safety in airspace are a no-no, I was once in a position where I needed to ask if that was OK. The request went out as a simple email. The "NO" came back in writing. While you can listen to transponders legally, not everything you have to worry about is squawking. When the NOHD extends past the distance that human spotters can see, you will get some repercussions.

Without a few letters of no objection, any high power testing in airspace these days will likely land you a serious Federal felony. All they have to prove is that one un-observed aircraft had a flight path near your test. Near is "undefined" under the new law.

You may want to take a look at FAA Advisory Circular AC70-1 in its updated form. That is just the beginning of the paperwork,

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-21-2018 at 07:12.

Assuming a generous 0.1 mRad divergence, at 40 kilowatts, your only an eye hazard to well over 45,000 meters, or about 28 miles. You'd have to notify DOD and FAA just to fire the laser. DOD notifies the recon sat project offices, who will want to say yes/no in a very serious and real time way. The Notice to Airman and Laser Safety Paperwork is time consuming, trust me, I've done it for 7 Watts very close to three Class Bravos a few tens of miles apart.

We once had one fellow on the forum with two up-collimated 45 watt Copper Vapor Lasers with similar divergence, and it was hinted that he got to talk to the powers that be in a very serious way every time he did a outdoor show. Basically you'll be lucky if you can get a land based test window as a civilian at all, given the amount of orbital objects "up there" these days. Might not want to promise your investors anything before you have that worked out.

Plan on installing a minimum of two dedicated manned "hotlines" at your test site, if you can FIND a test site. Civilian radars for laser safety in airspace are a no-no, I was once in a position where I needed to ask if that was OK. The request went out as a simple email. The "NO" came back in writing. While you can listen to transponders legally, not everything you have to worry about is squawking. When the NOHD extends past the distance that human spotters can see, you will get some repercussions.

Without a few letters of no objection, any high power testing in airspace these days will likely land you a serious Federal felony. All they have to prove is that one un-observed aircraft had a flight path near your test. Near is "undefined" under the new law.

You may want to take a look at FAA Advisory Circular AC70-1 in its updated form. That is just the beginning of the paperwork,

Steve
    I know places to go that are the middle of nowhere and no one cares, trust me, no one cares. Maybe this stuff applies if your in southern Cali or something.

I know places to go that are the middle of nowhere and no one cares, trust me, no one cares. Maybe this stuff applies if your in southern Cali or something.
    Where is this magical place that planes never fly over? Because I truly live in the middle of nowhere and we still get planes flying over all the time, most of them aren't bound for here.