Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winamp like visualizations

Default Winamp like visualizations

Hi guys,

I've recently upgraded my audio gear in my basement, and now things sound really great.

But when listening to just music, I'd like to also use my laser projectors to do Winamp style random visualizations loosely connected/reacting to the music.

I don't just want to put on Beyond with the DJ changing cues every 10 or 20 seconds (that would get boring). I can put up some lumia, but I want more random abstract graphics/designs that will just meander and change over the course of an hour or so. Nothing pre-programmed either (don't want repeats).

Any suggestions?

p.s. I don't have etherdream or LSX.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

laserdock is actually surprisingly great for this.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Hi guys,

I've recently upgraded my audio gear in my basement, and now things sound really great.

But when listening to just music, I'd like to also use my laser projectors to do Winamp style random visualizations loosely connected/reacting to the music.

I don't just want to put on Beyond with the DJ changing cues every 10 or 20 seconds (that would get boring). I can put up some lumia, but I want more random abstract graphics/designs that will just meander and change over the course of an hour or so. Nothing pre-programmed either (don't want repeats).

Any suggestions?

p.s. I don't have etherdream or LSX.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

There is a winamp plugin for the QM2000 by pangolin. A qm2000 can be obtained at a fairly low cost now so you might wanna look at that!

DrLava created a Winamp plugin some time back. I think it works with most non-pangolin DACs.
    If you do some searching through this forum you might find it. It was way back about 10 yrs ago or so.

I have done this a little bit with Beyond. The FFT feature works well enough to get you started. As long as the music is changing, even a simple "squiggler" works great. I have a bunch of cues driven by audio now. There is plenty of randomness and even if the cues are changing every 20 seconds or so, they patterns would be random all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    There is a winamp plugin for the QM2000 by pangolin. A qm2000 can be obtained at a fairly low cost now so you might wanna look at that!
    I just found Buffo post this in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    For one, you can run the Winamp Laser Visualizer plug-in. OK, it's not all that great, but it is kinda cool to have a fully-automated display that is already beat-synchronized for you. At the very least, it's fun for showing off in the living room! .
    So in order to do this, would I need a QM2000 and a PC, or can I just get by with a QM2000 with no PC?

Can I feed in external audio, or does the audio need to be sourced from the PC/Winamp (requiring a PC)?

I'm looking to play the music from my new audio setup, not a PC. Does Laserdock have an audio input?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    laserdock is actually surprisingly great for this.
    Yeah, just looking into this further, Laserdock looks almost perfect.

But where are they shipped from? $25 flat rate shipping for a dongle? Yikes.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I'll add my .02 and say the LaserDock is your easiest solution and does work pretty well.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I'll add my .02 and say the LaserDock is your easiest solution and does work pretty well.
    Have one you want to sell?

The laserdock is pretty good for this, but I think the cost is up around $100 now, if not higher.

A QM-2000 will need to be connected to a computer (either installed in a PCI slot or in a .net enclosure and connected via ethernet) in order to use the Winamp plug-in.

Justin Frankle (guy who wrote Winamp) used the Pangolin SDK for the QM-2000 board to develop an output module for the Winamp AVS visualizer engine that could talk directly to the QM-2000 board. Then he programmed a bunch of presets before he submitted the entire package to Pangolin. You can, of course, customize the visualizer and create your own presets if you want. If you already own a QM-2000 board you can download the software and the plug-in for free.

Note that this plug-in only works with Winamp up to around version 5.something. (5.5.1 maybe? I can't remember exactly where the cut-off is.) Current versions of Winamp won't work.

That being said, the winamp plugin is pretty fun to watch. You can set it to jump through a list of presets, or you can use the keyboard to trigger them manually.

Adam