Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drawing tablets

Default Drawing tablets

For both beyond and lsx I need to draw. Using a mouse on screen is generally a horrible result. What do you do when you need to draw into these editors. It would be handy to also be able to put an image below on the tablet and tracing paper on top so I can see what I’m doing when animating. This must be done all the time when cel animating. I’d like to have a few windows next to each other with morphs as well.

for example I have an iPad with an apple pen. Can that send data to a pc and act as I suggest?

i had thought to turn my monitor flat and put a textured paper over that but the window is small. Maybe I can undock the Window to a second monitor?

is there a product to do any of this as an input device alongside a mouse?

I bought one of these the other day waiting for it to come in the mail

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wonder if it could do what you want? They also make them with no screen just a blank tablet that you can put something on and trace.

https://www.amazon.com/10x6-25-Graph...raphics+tablet

Can you import images that are created in inkscape (vector images)into the programs you listed?

You can use some CAD applications to trace over raster images. If your output is DXF and uses only the primitive drawing ENTITIES of POINT, LINE, POLYLINE, LWPOLYLINE, CIRCLE, ARC, ELLIPSE or TEXT, you can import a single DXF file into LaserBoy or a set of DXF files in a directory.

Also, you can open a bitmap into the background of the viewing area of LaserBoy and trace vectors over it. All of the drawing stuff in LaserBoy is keyboard driven. You can create new vectors, move either end of a vector in X Y Z, blank, unblank and color. You can rotate a vector around its anchor point and changes its magnitude (length).

It takes some getting used to, but once you've done a couple of drawings it gets pretty easy.

LaserBoy can write all formats of ILDA files and can do a really good job optimizing art from DXF imports to become scan-able laser frames.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Default Tab

James I’m looking to use beyond and pic edit. Those drawing monitors look like what I want provided I can sync them with the software. Starting to think a touch screen with pen is best. This way I move the window to a second monitor and draw on that. Will need to find the right texture to apply to the monitor so it’s not too slick and not to sticky but still works as touch monitor. Luckily pressure won’t matter for laser. I think that’s not enabled to darken lines by pressure. Would be nice it it was for perspective.

I played with Inkscape and it’s nice but not integrated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    James I’m looking to use beyond and pic edit. Those drawing monitors look like what I want provided I can sync them with the software. Starting to think a touch screen with pen is best. This way I move the window to a second monitor and draw on that. Will need to find the right texture to apply to the monitor so it’s not too slick and not to sticky but still works as touch monitor. Luckily pressure won’t matter for laser. I think that’s not enabled to darken lines by pressure. Would be nice it it was for perspective.

I played with Inkscape and it’s nice but not integrated.
    Might make sense to draw it on paper and use trace it to bring it in.

... I'm too vectorizing hand-drawings for laser-marking - mostly with Corel X8, sometimes with Inkscape.

The received quality or "ease of use" depends on the drawing style and the options "trace contour" or "center line" ...

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

The first link I posted sets up as a second monitor with pen control.

That looks real good. Let me know what you think when you get it. I th8nk the beyond editor undocked so that should work. Just like to hear feedback before spending 350.00

pic edit does undock so that’s good

That touchscreen looks really interesting. I'm interested to hear how it works out as I'll be in for that as well. In my experience, auto-tracing is not terribly accurate nor does it draw in the order I want it to. I rotoscope quite a bit, so this should speed things up.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Its scheduled to arrive the 31st. I cant wait to play with it. Got to love big amazon gift cards for Christmas, lets me buy things I wouldn't normally just go out and buy. I'll let you know how it is when I get a chance to play around with it. It does say its compatible with inkscape. I think it will pretty much work with anything but will find out.

You rock! I’m realllly excited to hear.

thinking about this one https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Graph...s+gt-191&psc=1

I rest my hand on the screen when I draw will ignore me and just react to the pen?

also wonder if I can use plastic tools like a ruler.

would be fun to try a Spirograph with the pen and record the motion.
    Last edited by kecked; 12-25-2018 at 15:52.