Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What galvo set did I get?

Default What galvo set did I get?

Hello again! Happy new year!

I "rolled the dice" on a Chinese galvo set, and although I got something I'm not exactly sure what I did get. I think they might be PT-A40 galvos, PT-40K amps, and some 3rd party mounting block based on dimensions from PT website.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lPDALFn.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	965.8 KB 
ID:	54920

Name:	KzxooMl.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	963.5 KB 
ID:	54921

Name:	AwFmRHJ.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1,013.5 KB 
ID:	54922

Name:	eaf1FFP.jpg 
Size:	988.6 KB 
ID:	54923

Also, the power supply is a 60W 24V supply. 1.5A on the positive rail, and 1.0A on the negative. The ebay listing made me think I'd be getting a 72W dual 1.5A supply, but the PT manuals list 1.0A max is OK. All good then? I like the smaller size, if so!

Name:	Ix2r395.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	849.9 KB 
ID:	54919

Also, I've got some weird extra cables that seem to go to a +/-15V supply on the driver boards. I am assuming this is for powering a "show card" and I shouldn't need these, right?

Name:	wDUdbWg.jpg 
Size:	1,005.9 KB 
ID:	54924

Finally, what the heck happened to RIYA? And has my Riya lite always been TTL? I thought it was 8 bit analog! Does anyone have the original install set for this thing? Seems to be lost to the internet otherwise...

Not sure if they'e 40K, but they look identical to a 20K set I have; the extra cables go to a different version of the PSU which has the JST connectors on the PCB rather than screw terminals. Note that the PSU that came with mine was 50W, +/- 15V at 0.5A and 12V at 1.5A

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacg5 View Post

Finally, what the heck happened to RIYA? And has my Riya lite always been TTL? I thought it was 8 bit analog! Does anyone have the original install set for this thing? Seems to be lost to the internet otherwise...
    Riya Lite DACs are 8 bit analog on the color channels.

Most definitely PT-40s. I have several sets of those. The A40 scanners and amps are different. Still, I have never had any problems with my PTs, they are good scanners for the cost, especially if you got a good deal on them.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 01-01-2019 at 06:47.

Ah, I just thought the PT-30K's were like 30mm diameter around what I assume is the feedback potentiometer or whatever it is. These ones are only 18mm or so which matches the drawings for the PT-A40s. The e-bay seller told me this power supply is fine, then they edited the e-bay listing and removed the amperage values that were there! I got these for $275 best offer, from DJSlighting, not sure if that's good or not!

And my RIYA Lite is for sure broken, then! Using the TestRIYA app all my color channels are sitting at 0.03V. If I lower the sliders at all the voltage will jump to 5.03V. It won't change value again, just sticks at 5V unless you raise it to max again and then it turns back off. Some kind of weird inverted TTL?

Thing is, I know it used to work, it's just been several years. Now RIYA doesn't seem to exist anymore, and I don't have the original install CD I got from Andrew. Does anyone have the original installer? The one I got from Andrew seemed incomplete for some reason. I member more apps than just this TestRIYA one I have now... Thank you guys!!

I finally got these set up, on a temporary plate with a temporary RGB laser...

I'm pretty happy, this is how they came running at 15 degrees optical. I don't know how many pps, I'm using a wickedlasers dock and their software for now. Been waiting over a month for a new license file for LSX...

Actual analog modulation from china, only bummer is it's input sensitivity. Only modulates from 0.3V to ~1.3V, whole lotta wasted color range. It uses a MT7201 LED driver, datasheet says it has up to 1MHz switching frequency, I wonder if this is why I can't see it switching? Someone smarter than me could probably figure what looks like resistor dividers on the inputs to increase the range, I might take a crack at it...

I ordered a bunch of diodes, lasorbs, simpledrives, and other hardware to make a nice RGB module, just waiting on simpledrives!

Those scanners have pretty good performance for the price. I have had good luck with them.

I love the companion cube frame!!! That is awesome!

Hopefully you get your LSX license squared away. Some of the people on this forum have done some great things with it!

Hi pontiacg5,

I agree with Absolom. The PT-40s are quite inexpensive considering their performance. I have a few of these and was impressed for what I received for ~US$250. As far as Chinese suppliers are concerned, I believe only Dragon Tiger (DT) makes a better galvo.

Regarding the slow response from Innolasers. I'd start asking (politely) via e-mail every few days. Squeaky wheels get the grease and all!

Happy lasing!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I finally got that license file!

I spent the night watching a lot of the demo files in LSX and finding the best settings these things seem to like to run at. 35K at ~15 degrees seems to be what they were tuned for, they play beautifully configured as such. Still haven't tried tuning anything, probably won't till I spend some time researching how to not bugger that up!

I figure this set of scanners will hold me over till I decide if I want to get 506's with a mach DSP, those insane scan angles would do me good in this tiny little apartment

I shouldn't be able to hurt these scanners while I play with scan settings, right? Besides physically crashing them, the polyswitch should kick in before I try moving them too fast? I've been keeping an eye on temps, they get warm but not hot enough that you can't hold them indefinitely.

I don't recall if those have polyswitches or not. I suspect so. There are a million ways to screw up your galvos, of course, but keeping them cool and not exceeding their tuning speed are general accepted practices.

I'm a huge fan of the C-506/Mach DSP combo for those short throw issues . . and their cool running, small footprint, quick digital retuning, etc. . .

I'm glad to hear your license file came in. Just in case you haven't found it yet, LSX has several test patterns accessible in the DAC Settings / Scanner Settings dialog. Just choose ILDA Test Frame and bring up the Timeline Settings - Optimization sub-dialog. Then go to the last scan parameter in the list labeled TestFrame. This allows you to change your scan speed until the circle it just touching the walls of the square (the circle should be inside the square of course). You may need to adjust your color timing under Color Mapping to eliminate trails as you adjust your scan speed.

Happy lasing!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"