Thread: Wide drawing of simple shapes

Post Wide drawing of simple shapes

Hello laser enthusiasts!

I am new to the laser world, so forgive me for possible lack of understanding. I already spent several days looking for an answer in internet but had no success yet unfortunately.

I am working on a project where I need to display very simple shapes on a very wide area. Like dots, lines, circles, triangles. Those shapes should be bright and visible in normal illumination. And they should be displayed on surface from 1 meter distance, with angle around 110-120 degrees.

So I am trying to find out, can this be done with lasers and galvoscanners.

From what I found out, the scanning angles are usually quite small, given kpps stays hight - around 20 degrees. But then most galvos themselves can support 60 degree scanning.
    I also thought to increase scanning angle by adding lenses. Like Pangolin's DiscoScan or something similar.

So my questions are as follows:

1. How much slower would be the kpps if you make scanner to scan on 60 degrees? If a need to draw only a few straight lines on this area, will it be enough for them to be displayed without significant flickering?
    2. If I would to increase scanning angle with lenses, how much distortion will the beam have? I understand that if I draw a line from center to the side, it will be more thick on the side. But how much thicker? How can I calculate it?

Any additional comments are much appreciated!

... instead of lasers you can use video-beamers and "simulate" the laser-beamshow without any flickering.

And: you can make "any size" of scan-angles with spherical mirrors

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

... instead of lasers you can use video-beamers and "simulate" the laser-beamshow without any flickering.
    Well, using standard video projectors was my first idea of course. There are powerful short-throw projectors available on the market which of course will work fine. But they are way too expensive (can be around $3000). And it seems like a huge overkill to use such projector when I only need to draw simple lines.

I am trying to build much-cheaper device, with cost maybe around $200-$300.

And: you can make "any size" of scan-angles with spherical mirrors
    Well yes, actually this is something I investigated as well. And I have same question for ray distortion here as I had for lens. I actually assumed that ray distortion will be similar for mirror and for lens (is this correct? ).

Also I could not find anyone who tried galvoscanner lasers with spherical mirrors, to see how it would work...
    Last edited by Nikarus; 01-17-2019 at 03:51.

... when experimenting (and using) video-beamers for 3D-printing and 3D-scanning with DavidLaserscanner, I've bought different "broken lamp" beamers on ebay for prices from 15€ to 60€ -- and either modified them for "lamp-less" and/or replaced the original lamp with another or with high-power LED's (watercooled with 9Watts @405nm) or with lasers.

Then we started several "group-buys" for the salvaged Casio-beamers (XJ-A130 or XJ-A230, where the first blue 1.5W-diodes were extracted) - they were 35€ or 45€ each

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425