Thread: Not eligible for rehire

Default Not eligible for rehire

So I am posting this on here as this seems to be a form with extremely educated, intellegent like minded people and some other forums I have been on regarding work and employment issues are cesspools.

So I was laid last January and I have a friend who is a manager at a telecom company who I am hoping can call in saying that I submitted a resume (which I did) and that they are checking for rehire eligibility.

IF they say I am not eligible for rehire has anyone every started a business and then rolled all of their past experience under that new umbrella and then just used trusted people as references in order to completely eliminate that company from their resume, social media, linkedin, etc. Since stating that someone is "not eligible for rehire" is not slander or liable there are no consequences for the company even if the reasons are retaliatory or petty.

In my case it would be even easier because I worked for a contractor and I worked directly with clients for over a decade who loved me and I have great references from them. But there were some on the contract shop that did not like me much. It would be super easy to just create a company and say I was a contractor to XYZ corporation which I was a contractor to them and have all the references, it just wasent through my own company at that time. But im not going to starve over a technicality when the courts give companies such easy outs for giving invalid negative info out.

Does anyone see any other option since companies are given great leeway in the USA to commit liable and slander with little consequences. In most other places (outside the USA) I would think that stating someone was ineligible for rehire would open them up to law suits because it can have a negative impact on a job seekers search and it may not be for a valid reason to a reasonable person.

Let me get this straight? You're trying to get hired at the same company you got laid off from a year ago and want to hide the fact that you worked for them already?

I've seen a lot of people put their own company on their resume and use it to fill time. They always say they do consulting/contract work under that name. I usually don't give much weight to those, though, when I consider candidates.

I would advise against it. Depending on the size of the company, most background checks will show that you're lying. Ineligible for rehire looks much better than stating you didn't work at a place and then get caught up in a lie. Besides, ineligible for rehire only means that you can't be hired back, that can be for a multitude of reason that don't include job performance. You can always argue that fact. If you find out that a previous employer implied that you were an unsatisfactory employee, that is grounds for a lawsuit.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 01-14-2019 at 07:55.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Let me get this straight? You're trying to get hired at the same company you got laid off from a year ago and want to hide the fact that you worked for them already?

I've seen a lot of people put their own company on their resume and use it to fill time. They always say they do consulting/contract work under that name. I usually don't give much weight to those, though, when I consider candidates.
    No I am not looking to go back (unless the clients request me and they want to pay) and I have no references there but because there company name is on my resume a prospective employer could call.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by akmetal View Post
    No I am not looking to go back (unless the clients request me and they want to pay) and I have no references there but because there company name is on my resume a prospective employer could call.
    ~~~
    Let it be and put it down.
    ~~~
    One: Your Employment has been entered in lot of databases.
    Two: After a few lawsuits in the US recently, most employers big enough to have HR department will do little more then verify your date of employment unless your a licensed professional.
    ~~~
    ~~~
    Case in point. My university I graduated from never entered my graduation into a few traditional databases. So some data bases were reporting I had no degree, yet I had one on my resume. Finally one nice lady called me and let me know what was going on.
    Cue a drive to the University Registry Office and much one sided yelling and screaming with the words "Treble Damages". I cannot help but wonder how many good jobs I did not get. Even though was not lying on my resume, it was probably treated as such. I became a very loyal employee for her telling me the truth and helping out. Besides, if you were truly laid off for reasons beyond your control, HR usually feels guilty and will speak well of you. Not eligible for rehire means your manager ticked a box on a form. Computers suck... I once talked to an Employment Lawyer about this, and she agreed, put everything down. Your human, which means your not that good at keeping secrets, you will eventually talk by accident, and lying is worse.
    ~
    plus you discussed the idea in an open forum.

~

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-14-2019 at 10:34.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I guess selling laser weapons to the US military isn't working out so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    I guess selling laser weapons to the US military isn't working out so far?
    Still have to have proper cash flow until that point is reached ... but you knew that ...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    ~~~
    Let it be and put it down.
    ~~~
    One: Your Employment has been entered in lot of databases.
    Two: After a few lawsuits in the US recently, most employers big enough to have HR department will do little more then verify your date of employment unless your a licensed professional.
    ~~~
    ~~~
    Case in point. My university I graduated from never entered my graduation into a few traditional databases. So some data bases were reporting I had no degree, yet I had one on my resume. Finally one nice lady called me and let me know what was going on.
    Cue a drive to the University Registry Office and much one sided yelling and screaming with the words "Treble Damages". I cannot help but wonder how many good jobs I did not get. Even though was not lying on my resume, it was probably treated as such. I became a very loyal employee for her telling me the truth and helping out. Besides, if you were truly laid off for reasons beyond your control, HR usually feels guilty and will speak well of you. Not eligible for rehire means your manager ticked a box on a form. Computers suck... I once talked to an Employment Lawyer about this, and she agreed, put everything down. Your human, which means your not that good at keeping secrets, you will eventually talk by accident, and lying is worse.
    ~
    plus you discussed the idea in an open forum.

~

Steve
    I am quite frankly surprised at what private companies can get away with in the USA and there has been very little outrage to change laws to favor employees in cases like this. It would not hurt the employer to simply make any answers that could result in a negitive outcome slander or liable. Change the laws and a couple 7 figure law suits and companies will start modifying behavior. The more predatory and opportunistic our society gets there will be more and more laws needed to prevent feudalism.

If someone is an incompetent dolt they won’t havd any references to draw from.

"Not Eligible for Rehire" can mean lots of different things. It can mean you were terminated for cause. It can mean there was a mutual agreement where you left in leu of them firing you. It can even be something as simple as you quitting without giving your employer 2 weeks notice.

That being said, few employers bother to check your employment history because they know that all they will get is the dates you worked for them and the answer to the question of whether or not you are eligible for rehire. (Companies have been sued for telling people more than that.) Because they can't get any more information, there's little benefit in checking. Unless it's for a really big company (or for anything requiring a security clearance), it's unlikely that anyone will contact your old employer.

If the subject does come up during an interview, simply explain your side of the story and let it be. Don't embellish, don't sugar coat, and don't get personal. Make it clear that you consider the matter closed and you have moved on. The more trouble you go through to disguise the issue, the worse it will be for you if anyone ever discovers the deception. (Gaining employment under false pretenses is a fireable offense.)

Given that your previous employer can not legally offer their side of the story if they are contacted, even if they were out to burn you they have no real way to do so. Thus there is little reason to fear telling the truth to your new employer. Plus your new employer should be able to make their own estimate of your ability/experience and personality during the interview process. Just don't make a big deal out of it. That is the real red flag.

Adam

Last edited by kecked; 02-03-2019 at 06:54.