Thread: some unusual dlp to dlp projection ideas

Default some unusual dlp to dlp projection ideas

EDIT: Never mind, was a silly idea.
    I'm keeping this link though because it's very interesting and describes almost what I wanted to do: https://www.zeiss.com/planetariums/i...ts/velvet.html
    Last edited by 2funuk; 01-21-2019 at 01:28.

Zeiss does this using two 2560x1600 dlp chips in their current generation Velvet projectors. One chip simply illuminates the 2nd chip which does the actual color image. When both are "black" the native contrast is 2.5 million to one.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Yes, I believe there was one other company who was trying to commercialize such a dual DMD design for the consumer market.
    Last edited by 2funuk; 01-21-2019 at 01:29.

I'd think the real cost of any system to piggyback a really good native contrast would be so much more dependent on the optical hardware than the cost of the DLP chips and their electronics as to be barely significant. Add to this that at least US planetariums have convinced themselves that high contrast isn't important, and the simulator folks only think it's important for a small fraction of simulations - it's likely to be a development without a perceived need...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso