Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser graffitti hits downtown LA

Cool

What is the DLP's light source?
    A really bright light bulb and a spinning color wheel... Though I guess it would be possible to use a white light laser as a source too. You wouldn't need any galvos or control software, just a big honkin' Kr/Ar laser, a PCAOM to cycle through the colors really fast, and a lens to expand the beam.

Not sure if it would work any better or not though. (For sure it would be more expensive!)

Adam

By my rough calculations, you would need more than 10 watts (onto the screen) to get the same brightness as a 6500 lumen projector.

Smile

Hmmm... So Steve-o's suggestion of a 20 watt whitelight is probably in the ball park then. Of course, it would make the projector a heck of a lot more expensive. (Not to mention the logistical nightmare of hooking up 3 phase power and water cooling, plus the alignment issues...) But it would work in theory anyway.

Adam

So 10W = 6500 lumen projector? So why are we using lasers for shows instead of DLPs?

not if that 20w laser was dpss/diode based

*cough* big fuck off arctos white light laser *cough*
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

I'm down to <a pack a day.. <wheeze>
    Has anybody figured out how in the hell arctos aligned those 45 reds in their white-light rig?
    (and please dont say 'very carefully' )

I seen that video on You Tube a while back but figured it used some complex projection system. After examining the link provided, I was up and running in an hour or so! Not perfect though, I need a better camera. It's Fun! I was playing with it until 1AM. I'm gonna find a bigger wall tonight.
    Thanks!
    Adam

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    So 10W = 6500 lumen projector? So why are we using lasers for shows instead of DLPs?
    Because you can't get a collimated beam out of a DLP projector, and the color saturation of a laser is far superior to that of a DLP projector.

However, you point is valid... I was talking with Clandestiny about this a while back, and his take was that in a few years the quality of the image from a DLP projector would be good enough that he felt you could fool a naive audience into thinking they were looking at a laser projector so long as it was a small venue. (A short throw makes the DLP image look really bright, just like the image from a laser projector.)

Beamshows would be the dead giveaway though.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Because you can't get a collimated beam out of a DLP projector, and the color saturation of a laser is far superior to that of a DLP projector.

However, you point is valid... I was talking with Clandestiny about this a while back, and his take was that in a few years the quality of the image from a DLP projector would be good enough that he felt you could fool a naive audience into thinking they were looking at a laser projector so long as it was a small venue. (A short throw makes the DLP image look really bright, just like the image from a laser projector.)

Beamshows would be the dead giveaway though.

Adam
    i was watching the foo fighters performance on the big save the earth concerts recently and i was impressed at the huge screen projections on either side of the stage.
    i know you are talking about aerial projection, but i thought the illusion of beams they showed on the screens had an awesome effect.
    it made me think of lasers but gave the feeling you and the beams(or rather,the projector) were racing toward each other.
    really impressive i thought.

That was a semi-rhetorical question

Yeah, there is no replacement for coherent.
    A tungsten filament cant compete with a Fabry-Perot resonator cavity (no matter how small it is)
    Last edited by steve-o; 08-03-2007 at 08:45.