Thread: Laser Projection Screen

Default Laser Projection Screen

Forum Folks,

I have a Kvant 6W laser, and don't always have a wall, dam, etc. to project on. I am currently using Pangolin's QuickShow program to drive the laser projector. I have a truss system which is 10H X 20W to hold my heavy laser barrier curtain material (basically for safety purposes), and had been using some black scrim material in front of the laser barrier to project on, which does work, but it would seem logical that there probably is some other material that I could get to project on which would display the colors, character, shapes, etc. much better.

There are numerous materials available in different colors for outdoor projection screens for other types of projectors other that a laser, but I was wondering if any of you have past, or current, experience with what type of material would be best for outdoor theatrical laser use, and/or a website to purchase something like this? Thanks, Robb

Quote Originally Posted by robb View Post
    Forum Folks,

I have a Kvant 6W laser, and don't always have a wall, dam, etc. to project on. I am currently using Pangolin's QuickShow program to drive the laser projector. I have a truss system which is 10H X 20W to hold my heavy laser barrier curtain material (basically for safety purposes), and had been using some black scrim material in front of the laser barrier to project on, which does work, but it would seem logical that there probably is some other material that I could get to project on which would display the colors, character, shapes, etc. much better.

There are numerous materials available in different colors for outdoor projection screens for other types of projectors other that a laser, but I was wondering if any of you have past, or current, experience with what type of material would be best for outdoor theatrical laser use, and/or a website to purchase something like this? Thanks, Robb
    I sewed together a bunch of curtains liners and that worked pretty well. I am not sure what the official name is but they are those thing whispy white things that you can see through.

Gray Skeeta screen.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

The screen is a good idea especially for large screens as it lets air through so it doesn’t get blown around as much. It’s lighter too. It also increases contrast as there is very little off axis reflection. I just tried it on my movie screen and it worked similar to using black cardboard. Thanks for the idea.

Default Projection screen

[QUOTE=clickamouse;348206]Gray Skeeta screen.

I have some black Skeeta screen, which as I said does work okay, but you, and some others have suggested the gray scrim, and Skeeta does have "Slate" color, which is gray, so I think I will order some and try that. No one has suggested a light color, like white canvas, so guess I will stay away from that since it might cause some other problems that I had not considered, like being too bright to the audience, etc. I have looked for some kind of article about laser projection screens, but just haven't found any yet. Thanks a lot for your response. Robb

White shows reflections. Dark is mostly invisible in the dark. No unwanted back reflection. Not free lunch it also dims the image. I wonder if you added enough power to get the image to the same brightness level if the scattered light would be the same as less power on white screen? Do not know but that seems intuitive. So maybe just use white and turn the power down. The screen itself however will scatter over its entire surface so it should be worth using the darker color to reduce ambient light scattering and to hide the screen itself so back to benefit for darker screen. That’s my logic your mileage may vary.

Default DSLI Jon's contribution

From many years ago:

https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums....php?groupid=2

https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...4&d=1227598975 ..you're Welcome..

A search on PL for Skeeta reveals this.

Thank him, not me; this was a big help to me as well.

HTH...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Too bad the screen isn't metal and the horizontal and vertical wires electrically isolated. Would make a sweet bug zapper. Hey make it capacitive instead and use it to direct a stepper motor to a 100w co2 laser. Detects a bug, selects the pixel detected, and fires. Could even add a camera so it can tell the difference between a bug and say a hand. ZappoIncinerato AND a laser show. you could selectively heat junctions and pass a laminar flow of methane over the screen to make it catalyticly glow but then you platinum screen. (you do know I'm kidding...I hope)

The links are dead but you can find them by doing your own search for skeeta. Thanks for sharing. The stuff from home depot works fine.