Thread: After years of lasers hitting planes, the planes are now shooting back!

Talking After years of lasers hitting planes, the planes are now shooting back!

We should see if we could get Lazerjock to do this at SELEM this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnOicgd0zeo

Or no, wait - Pitts already has a bi-plane... And so does akmetal! Maybe one of these guys is up for the challenge?

In all seriousness though, while it looks very cool I'd hate to think about all the work that went into doing this - both to keep the plane safe and also to get clearance to do a stunt like this. Doubt they would be able to do it here in the USA with all the FAA restrictions.

Adam

What could possibly go wrong? All the dangerous stuff is headed away from the plane.

Apparently they did this show in Australia and started a brush fire with the fireworks! Honestly the lasers don't seem nearly as dangerous (to the pilot or the people on the ground) when compared to the fireworks...

Gotta admit though, it looks pretty cool!

Adam

Wonder how the FAA will deal with this one. A variance for pilots?

Does look pretty cool though.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

In the USA, Getting a projector approved and a FAA supplemental type certificate ( STC) for each aircraft involved would be a nightmare. Just getting a permit for "Doors Off" operation is a pain, fixing it to the aircraft would require massive approvals and an engineering consultant review. Then getting a laser qualified A&E, Test Pilot, and DER makes me shiver with pain at the thought. Commercial and academic airborne LIDAR is pretty common so there would be some systems knowledge available at FAA. FAA requires documented training so now you need a IP or CFL to teach you about your own system to fly with it, so unless you reregister as restricted or experimental life gets interesting for any other pilot. If there is a prior STC for a similar system it might be easier due to precedent.
    ~
    CASA, OZs aviation regulator, is known to be a particular PITA, I'm surprised they issued a STC or permitted that.
    ~
    Laser Animation Sollinger did that years ago, but without a brushfire.
    ~
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 03-11-2019 at 10:36.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...