Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Modulaser: the semi-modular laser synth

Lightbulb Introducing Modulaser: the semi-modular laser synth

I’m a designer/developer and for the past 2 months I’ve been working on something exciting. With 2 friends I made an app for generating laser abstracts, with new ideas for visual synthesis.

Some background: I've been discovering laser abstracts for quite some time. Always liked the idea of visual laser synthesis, but the way software did this felt too limiting. At the time I was also discovering sound with modular synthesizers in eurorack. I found out it was possible to use this modular synth for ILDA projectors as well (using LZX Cyclops). I got really excited by the endless possibilities of modular laser synthesis using hardware. HOWEVER. This was unusable for performances. I couldn’t save patches, let alone transitioning between them. Also, it was crazy expensive hahaha...

Modulaser
    That’s when the idea of Modulaser was born: a modular approach to digital laser synthesis. We used inspiration from various great apps to shape our own ideas into something useful. Some of the features we love are:

• Modularity: modulators like LFO's and audio can modulate pretty much anything
    • Ableton Link (syncs bpm with other audio/visual software in the same network)
    • Layering (and easily transitioning between them)
    • MIDI support (for knobs, triggering clips or just syncing BPM)
    • Audio input
    • 6 Waveforms (sine, square, sawtooth, triangle, line and noise) with slope control
    • ILDA file record
    • DAC output (currently EtherDream, LaserDock and Helios, Pangolin Beyond coming soon)
    • Perspective mapping
    • Mac and Windows

Download
    There's a free trial that you can download right away:
    https://modulaser.app

P.S. because it's still a somewhat early stage, feedback is super important to us! If you have any requests or questions, don't hesitate to let me know

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Is there some reason Modulaser Demo wants to phone home? Windows Defender blocked it and my protective firewall blocks the demo...

Btw, "Modulaser" is an
    already copyrighted and trademarked name in the USA for an active Ion laser product.

How will licensing work?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Is there some reason Modulaser Demo wants to phone home? Windows Defender blocked it and my protective firewall blocks the demo...
    We only use the network for two things; to setup a websocket server which only starts on localhost and only communicates with itself. And secondly it checks for updates on startup. It's on the roadmap to look for another way to start the websocket server without triggering Windows Defender. For now: are you able to maybe make a temporary exception in the firewall?

How will licensing work?
    More info on licensing can be found here: https://modulaser.app/support

Btw, "Modulaser" is an
    already copyrighted and trademarked name in the USA for an active Ion laser product.

Steve
    Don't ya just hate it when that happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Mixedgas
    Btw, "Modulaser" is an
    As a Dutch company, how does that affect them?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

This is really impressive. I like the price point. Eager to try this out.

Looks great!
    I noticed on the product comparison table, it says the standard version can neither output to DACs or save to ILDA. Is that a typo?

Quote Originally Posted by Grix View Post
    Looks great!
    I noticed on the product comparison table, it says the standard version can neither output to DACs or save to ILDA. Is that a typo?
    Thank you!

That's right
    Standard is meant to be used without lasers: for vj's that just want to create cool line visuals.
    You'll need the Pro version for anything laser-related.

Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for letting me know! I will edit this on the website soon, so it hopefully becomes more clear which version you need for the desired purposes

Hi, I have only been looking into this last few days as I got a LaserDock Dongle and a Helios being delivered soon. I have just bought Maxwell too, and it was after then that I found this. It seems to look similar to Maxwell, so I was wondering if it is the same people behind it, as Maxwell hasn't been updated since 2017, and Modulaser is new this year.

I will Play with the demo once my LaserDock dongle arrives, but I'm also curios from the publisher side what they may see as main differences between Modulaser and Maxwell (since I can't find much information yet) so hoping this way I can justify paying nearly twice the price of Maxwell for this. :-)

I love how old-school cool is making a comeback! Analog laser effects were a dying art, but now, thanks to the efforts of many dedicated enthusiast's we are seeing a huge resurgence in abstract laser art.

Carry on!

Adam