Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homebuilt Manganese Vapour Laser (MnVL)

Today I've loaded this laser tube with lead. The buffer gases are the same, operating temperature is much lower. Optimal PRR is low too. I saw lasing on 722 nm, it is still quite visible. It is a bright red spot with magenta tint. Output power was quite low, possibly some tens of mW. It couldn't burn anything when focused. Lasing exists till Helium pressure that exeeds 100 Torr. Lead also sputters quickly throughout the tube making the OC dirty. Also it is quite difficult to make adequate pictures of the laser beam. The camera doesn't pass over the colour correctly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN6494.JPG  

DSCN6493.JPG  

DSCN6489.JPG  

DSCN6496.JPG  

DSCN6499.JPG  

DSCN6500.JPG  

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserbuilder View Post
    Today I've loaded this laser tube with lead. The buffer gases are the same, operating temperature is much lower. Optimal PRR is low too. I saw lasing on 722 nm, it is still quite visible. It is a bright red spot with magenta tint. Output power was quite low, possibly some tens of mW. It couldn't burn anything when focused. Lasing exists till Helium pressure that exeeds 100 Torr. Lead also sputters quickly throughout the tube making the OC dirty. Also it is quite difficult to make adequate pictures of the laser beam. The camera doesn't pass over the colour correctly.
    Next stop, Bismuth, at 472 nm.. You'll need a tiny amount of another metal, like the manganese, or a iodide or bromide in there to break up the bismuth dimer... Strontium is 445 nm, but usually needs a halide to be efficient. I'm sure you know about the tiny amount of pure hydrogen trick, when using halides.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-02-2019 at 13:20.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Very impressive! Thanks you for teachning us how its done!