Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 206

Thread: SELEM 2019 sign-up thread

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,488,804

    Default

    Updated the attendee list! Looking really good this year. Here's a few updates:

    DZ: I think you'll be fine in the little nook near the entrance ramp for the gallery. Will Joe be joining us again this year? I know his mobility is restricted these days, but if you set up there he should be OK to move between there and the auditorium without too much hassle.

    For anyone bringing glow in the dark stuff (Kumpula, Swami, others?): I'd like to repeat the setup we had last year in the entrance way between the outside doors and the auditorium lighting and sound booths. Does anyone see a problem with that?

    I'd like to keep the gallery mostly open this year so we can set up tables so people have a place to eat. It also helps with traffic flow to not have that space choked with people all the time. Presentations will be in the upstairs classrooms or in the Cafeteria. Most of the demos will be in the cafeteria as well (with a few exceptions).

    Re: subwoofers - As Brad mentioned, we already have one for Club-SELEM. At present we don't have one for the Auditorium, but I'm not sure we'll need one. Worst case, I can get a B-stock 18" JBL 1000 watt powered sub for around $500 if we decide we can't live without it.

    The Eurorack synths and DJ gear sound great! This will dovetail nicely with the renewed interest in all things analog, from abstracts to Scanimate! Sal, do you want all your gear in the club, or will you want to have some in the Cafeteria to demo? Obviously you can always move it if you need to. Just thinking that if someone else is spinning in Club-SELEM and you want to demo the Euro-Rack, you'd have to shout to be heard over the sound system.?.

    General Question to all DJs: do we want to have a separate, dedicated DJ space in the Gym, or should we continue with the typical line of tables at the back like we've done in previous years? Thinking that if 3 or 4 DJs are all set up in a line along with all the laser consoles we might end up with a space crunch.?.

    Last year in the cafeteria we had DJs swapping out their gear after their set due to the small space and this led to some equipment problems / lost cables / etc that I'd rather avoid this year if at all possible. If people agree that table space along the wall could be a problem in the gym we could easily mark out a dedicated DJ area on the side (thinking maybe in the back corner just in front of where I normally set up my console so it would be close to the main mixer). Thoughts? (Hope that there will be a few DJs present during load-in to help set this up...)

    Love all the ideas for the Auditorium live abstract shows! I'm sure they will *ROCK*. At the moment we have Friday and Saturday from midnight until 2 PM blocked out for this, but we can add more time in if people want. Please get with David Kumpula to check the schedule. (Note that we'll have live music in the Club pretty much all the time, so as a guideline - where possible - I'd like to have the live beam shows in the club and use the auditorium more for abstracts and graphics.)

    One general note about the Auditorium: We're planning to integrate a master kill switch on a small lighting desk in there. Basically we will have a buffering device installed in-line on each ILDA cable between front-of-house and the projectors on stage and in the balcony. All these buffers will connect via DMX to the lighting console, and a single button on the console will kill the RGB output on all the buffers.

    We will also use these buffers to zone in all the projectors. Thus, when people go to the auditorium to get set up, they shouldn't need to adjust any zoning at all. Set the scan field to 100%, and the buffer boxes will do the rest. (That's the theory anyway - we shall see if we can actually get it all to work!) If this ends up being a huge headache, we can scrap the idea and go back to the old way where everyone zones in manually. But if this does work it should dramatically cut down on wasted time in the auditorium.

    Note that at the moment we are still planning to do an outdoor laser show with the Western Piedmont Symphony Orchestra in downtown Newton on Sunday night after SELEM is over. (Just like we did the past two years.) However, this year things are rather disorganized on the part of the town *and* the Symphony, so I'm starting to have my doubts. I'll keep everyone in the loop as we get closer.

    Less than a month to go! And only 11 days left to sign up at the standard rate and be guaranteed a shirt! (Registration price goes up on the 20th, but the shirt order also goes out that day.)

    Adam

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69
    There WILL be a sub in the club. It's the auditorium that I may not have a sub for.
    Well, that's what I get for skimming the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo
    The Eurorack synths and DJ gear sound great! This will dovetail nicely with the renewed interest in all things analog, from abstracts to Scanimate! Sal, do you want all your gear in the club, or will you want to have some in the Cafeteria to demo? Obviously you can always move it if you need to. Just thinking that if someone else is spinning in Club-SELEM and you want to demo the Euro-Rack, you'd have to shout to be heard over the sound system.?.
    The eurorack system will live in the Cafeteria so people can play with it to make sound or hook it up to the laser (or both!). It won't be too hard to move if we want to have an EPIC jam in the Club. I can probably bring a table for myself in the Cafeteria, though I might need 2 :\

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo
    General Question to all DJs: do we want to have a separate, dedicated DJ space in the Gym, or should we continue with the typical line of tables at the back like we've done in previous years? Thinking that if 3 or 4 DJs are all set up in a line along with all the laser consoles we might end up with a space crunch.?.
    My DJ setup fits on half of an 8ft table. My eurorack cases also can fit on half a table. I will be there for load in so I can help with logistics. Guessing Kevin will want his own table. We have a bit more space in the Gym if I remember correctly. What we did last year by putting the DJs in front of the laser control worked pretty good and we could do that again.

    Who else wants to DJ? Please comment!

    Also, I'll be around till Monday again this year.

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North of Jackson Michigan USA
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Updated the attendee list! Looking really good this year. Here's a few updates:

    DZ: I think you'll be fine in the little nook near the entrance ramp for the gallery. Will Joe be joining us again this year? I know his mobility is restricted these days, but if you set up there he should be OK to move between there and the auditorium without too much hassle.....

    Adam
    We (Whitcher and Draco, actually) will be bringing 2 tripods to hold our 6 lumiators.
    This is so we can split them up if needed, between the auditorium and wherever else desired.
    Bringing our 6-channel analog lumia controller:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-chan.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	584.7 KB 
ID:	55661

    and our 3-chan:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-chan.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	599.7 KB 
ID:	55662

    One of these was designed by an engineer (Wayne), and one by an artist (me).
    Can you tell which is which?

    Cheers...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cleveland Ohio
    Posts
    2,132

    Default

    FINALLLLLY!!!! Innovation is returning

  5. #115
    swamidog's Avatar
    swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    santa fe, nm
    Posts
    1,545,360

    Default

    I'll be bringing one of these....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radiator-top-down.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	460.9 KB 
ID:	55663
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

  6. #116
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC
    Posts
    520

    Default

    I'll be bringing this again this year. Has a few new features on it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Console.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	660.7 KB 
ID:	55664
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

  7. #117
    swamidog's Avatar
    swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    santa fe, nm
    Posts
    1,545,360

    Default

    i'm secretly in love with your two player video game abstract console.

    it's so amazing and fun

    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    I'll be bringing this again this year. Has a few new features on it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Console.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	660.7 KB 
ID:	55664
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

  8. #118
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i'm secretly in love with your two player video game abstract console.

    it's so amazing and fun
    Places his quarter on the console for next play.



    I love the skeleton and Halloween fence in the background.
    Chris

  9. #119
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Last year on the last night of SELEM swami was wanting to head out, probably at a reasonable hour, since he had a flight the next day. I was able to suck him in for another two hours by letting him take a turn on the console. What are friends for right.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

  10. #120
    swamidog's Avatar
    swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    santa fe, nm
    Posts
    1,545,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Last year on the last night of SELEM swami was wanting to head out, probably at a reasonable hour, since he had a flight the next day. I was able to suck him in for another two hours by letting him take a turn on the console. What are friends for right.
    you are the devil and i thank you for it.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •