Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2019 sign-up thread

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

At the risk of being Cluebyfoured, I'm going to double post this as there aren't many days left and I don't know how many may have seen the other thread. (I didn't!)

My plan is actually bring a lot for the B/S/T area this year. What all I bring depends on what all fits but, there are a couple things that I should post first because of their size.

First is I have two brand new American DJ Vizi Beam 5rx moving heads.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item...RoCZyQQAvD_BwE

When I say new - I mean one hasn't even had the seal of the brown cardboard outer shipping box broken, let alone the colored graphical box inside. The other was opened and taken out long enough for me to plug it in, turn it on and scroll through it with a DMX controller for about 10 minutes. I bought a pair a few years ago and have never integrated them into anything I do. I'd *like* to because they're beasts but, truthfully, you really want more than two of these in most situations and I can't afford to buy several more. And I need the money more than I need them collecting dust. There is s sticker on it that says essentially do not shine them on anything closer than like, 40 feet due to risk of fire. Now THAT'S a bright light. :-) $950 each.

Second is a Mobolaser ML-10 with a 1 watt air cooled argon source. I can't vouch for the argon because I haven't fired it up in several years. The problem is it's in a massive road case since it was designed to also hold bounce mirrors. It's also 220/240v. The road case is 58 1/2" long, 22" wide and 29" tall including the large caster wheels. I bought it from a touring production company in Tennessee in perhaps 2011 and it arrived on a tractor trailer. Still one of the cleanest ML-10's I've seen and I have an assortment of turrets including 2 mirror and diffraction gratings. I think there may be a basic scan head as well. I don't recall exactly but, I probably have about $2700 tied up in the thing and I'm leaning towards about $1500.

Third is a large projector in a large flight case. I took pics awhile ago but, haven't gotten them up here. Some may recall seeing it as I got it from KGB Lasers in New Orleans. It was designed to eventually be a 5 watt RGB back when 5 watts of RGB was still impressive and is in a case made from two large optical breadboards on top and bottom (think LT1000 but perhaps 3 times the size of an LT1000 case) and has several grating effects with dmx controlled actuators built in along the path towards the DT40 wide scanners. The RGB sources really only total about 3 watts presently and include 532, 445 and I think 637. Sadly worth no where near the value of what I traded for it but, the parts collectively may be of value to someone although my first instinct is for it to go as a whole. I really don't know what to ask so, on this I'll say if you want pics and they don't post below, let me know and I'll try and and send them and then make an offer.

Aside from that there are a couple of Antari HZ-300 fazer knock offs made by Irradiant with very little use. There a large number of nearly new traditional chrome par cans. There are a number of intelligent scanner lights from Martin such as the SCX500 and 600 and a whole lot more. I'm bringing a couple weller soldering guns, and some other assorted oddball stuff to sell as well.

I know more of the interesting thing for folks are the little pieces of glass, brass and electronics that go into building a projector and I'll bring a lot of that too but the hard part is figuring out a price to ask since I didn't do well keeping track of what I paid for stuff. I know I have a couple special dichros that are over $100 each that I probably will never use but, I never labeled them. Duh! Might bring some old show laptops.

Oh! There is a tall wooden 20U rolling rack case with removable front and back that I'd love to get rid of as well. Black, carpeted ply. I'm thinking like $90.

Mirror balls. We will probably never ever attempt the "laser rain" effect at SELEM and, the owners of my building installed 6 large chandeliers in the ballroom so, I probably will never be able to use them here any more. There is a 24" Chauvet ball and 4 more 12" balls. I "think" I have motors for 4. There is one still up in the ceiling of the ballroom since I never got it back when the electricians put in the chandelier and if I can get up there with a lift I may be able to find the 5th one.

Projectors - we'll see what fits but in a perfect world I'll have maybe 6-10 for sale.

PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Based on the registration so far I think it's safe to say that this year will be a record year for SELEM in terms of attendance. Way to go everyone!

Adam
    I finagled my way out of work for a week so add one more to the list... I'll either be there Wednesday afternoon or Thursday AM.

All right! Glad you can make it this year!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFang View Post
    I finagled my way out of work for a week so add one more to the list... I'll either be there Wednesday afternoon or Thursday AM.
    Please bring your RC and FPV gear if you have the room! For sure we will be flying quads in the field outside, along with some mini quads (inductrix) indoors. Plus both Stuka and Lazerjock are bringing other RC gear (plans and possibly a Heli or two). Also, I'm sure there will be lots of people who would like to play with Maxwell - any chance you could set up a demo station in the cafeteria? There is a *ton* of renewed interest in abstracts.

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    heya, I tried to use the Holiday Inn room code the other day and it didn't work -- once I got time to call they said the room block was full
    It could be the block is full, or it could just be that the block has expired. I think they only hold the group rate through the 25th of July or something.

That being said, even if you have to book through the standard web interface (that is, you can't use the group identifier), you may still get the same rate. Adam Raugh mentioned that he had to add another room and he was able to do so for the same rate he paid for the first room he booked a few months ago.

Also, a reminder to everyone who is staying at the Holiday Inn Express: Please tell the person at the front desk to make sure they put you down as being part of the "SELEM Laser Group". This does two things: First, they will try to give you a room near other laserists, rather than on the far end of the hotel where there might be screaming kids. And second, it allows the hotel manager to see exactly how many rooms we end up booking for the event, even if not everyone signed up in time to take advantage of the group rate.

In the past the manager has reported fewer rooms rented than would be expected. This adversely affects our bargaining power to get lower rates and/or extra perks (like a free room for the after-SELEM cool-down gatherings each night). Example: one year she showed only 21 rooms booked for SELEM, but we had 52 people registered and almost 70 waivers signed. (Waivers include guests) So where did everyone stay? Sure, there were 5 people at the Trotthouse, and maybe 5 or 10 more at other Hotels besides the Holiday Inn, but even so we should have had at least 30 rooms for our group. When I pointed this out to the manager she said that the only way for her to see this is if the rooms are listed in the computer as being part of the group.

So this year please remember to mention that you are part of the SELEM laser group to the person at the counter when you are checked in. Tell them that it *needs* to be listed in the computer like that so the manager can see how many rooms we actually use - even if you didn't use the group code to book your room. That should give us some clout next year when we negotiate for more favorable rates.

And finally, for those of you considering the idea of splitting a room with someone, here's a tip: The cost of a suite is only a little more than a standard room ($15 to $20 more per night), but you get a *ton* of extra space and a real kitchen! If you want to split a room with someone, try to get a suite if there are any left. You are already saving a bunch by splitting the cost, so it's worth it to splurge a tiny bit to get the added comfort and privacy.

Adam

Default Room at Holiday Inn

Anyone,

I had a room reserved, which I no longer need at the Holiday Inn Express at the SELEM reduced rate (2 queen beds, $105 per night + $taxes / fees $27.30 = $237.30, unless there is some other additional fee?)...

The reservation is: checking in Thursday August 8, 2019 and checking out Saturday August 10, 2019.

It is reserved under my name, and I just need to figure out how I can transfer it... feel free to message me.

Aron
    Did my first "Laser Lumia Show" in 1974... and have never stopped experimenting !

I'd like to know if anyone has a red c-mount diode or have another way to fix this. The diode is dead. I want to keep the footprint the same and use the same driver if something has to be built from the ground up. If I can get it fixed at SELEM, that would be great. If not, that's fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190805_002159.jpg  

Black polo mafia... get those shirts ready!!!!
    Modern and Retro laser show hobbyist
    Pangolin QM16, QM32, Beyond Adv, LSX, ADAT, FB3, FB4
    LS Pluto II x 2, custom build x 1
    http://lasershowwiki.757.org for my all encompassing laser show wiki.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190806_143834.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	55801

Name:	IMG_20190806_153830.jpg 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	55802
    Setup in progress!
    Science! Constantly shifting collection of auction purchases, group buys, dumpster dove, and handmade lasers of all types.

Name:	IMG_20190806_173109.jpg 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	55803
    Projected logo
    Science! Constantly shifting collection of auction purchases, group buys, dumpster dove, and handmade lasers of all types.

Quote Originally Posted by DanBarlow View Post

Name:	IMG_20190806_173109.jpg 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	55803
    Projected logo
    From a IIGS?
    Modern and Retro laser show hobbyist
    Pangolin QM16, QM32, Beyond Adv, LSX, ADAT, FB3, FB4
    LS Pluto II x 2, custom build x 1
    http://lasershowwiki.757.org for my all encompassing laser show wiki.