Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2019 sign-up thread

Hey Ryan; any chance we could slap a Wobbulator onto that 33W monster?

I'll just stand over here...

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Well, using any of the plastic grating disks might be a bad idea, or at least a short-lived one

Quote Originally Posted by aberry View Post
    Well, using any of the plastic grating disks might be a bad idea, or at least a short-lived one
    but it'll look SO COOL while it melts!

I'm generally a huge fan of destructive testing (and percussive maintenance)
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    I'm generally a huge fan of destructive testing (and percussive maintenance)
    you're on! I'll make a plastic grating disc SPECIFICALLY for us to melt...BUT ONLY IF YOU BRING THE 33W RYGB

"Do you smell that? Burning plastic, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of burning plastic in the morning. . . Smells like . . . victory. . . Someday SELEM's gonna end."

-CountFunkula
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Late to the party here, but I'll be there! Payment sent, large shirt.

Looking forward to hanging out and catching up with everyone, I know I've been a bit of a ghost since the last SELEM... Real life caught up with me pretty hard and I've needed to focus all my energy on adulting for the past few months, and cutting out all social media/excessive mobile screen time in general has really done wonders for my productivity. I can't wait to catch up on all the projects here and see in person what you guys have all been working on!

I don't have much in the way of new stuff to bring this year, but next year will be a different story...the time I have been able to set aside for laser stuff this year has been a lot of conceptual work and experimentation with Beyond's capabilities, to hopefully figure out an efficient way to build the grand plan that has been evolving in my head over the past few years. I'm almost to the point where I feel confident in beginning some actual coding (refactoring lots of code in Beyond is so frustratingly slow that I would rather spend 100 hours figuring out how to do it all correctly ONCE than do the same things over and over for 50), and I can't wait to see what you guys think in a year or two.

Hardware plans for this year are still being figured out, but I definitely won't be bringing anything over the top either quantity or complexity wise. We are currently in the middle of (attempting to) buy a house, which is where most of my organizational focus will need to stay for a while. If all goes well though, the forecast for water cooled ion lasers in the basement is looking VERY promising, and I'll have a display setup that I'm not sure anyone else has attempted yet: big gas meets big...lack of gas?

DZ: If you can make it this year, I have a laser I think you (and the rest of us) would enjoy connecting to your hallway rig, but it does need a fair bit of table space. I'll take some measurements and see what we can sort out.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    ". . . Someday SELEM's gonna end."
    No way! Not if there's anything I can do about it!

Would any of you beer drinkers like to try some stuff from where I live?

ETA: Do the suites have 2 separate rooms? If they do and someone doesn't mind me having one of the rooms, count me in. I'll be arriving the 8th.
    Last edited by DrEvil; 07-19-2019 at 23:01.

Hey everyone;

Just wanted to remind everyone that Standard registration is now closed and the shirt order has been finalized. Late registration is from now up through registering at the door, for $179.

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    From what I understand the Cafeteria will be available for the general make/fix/tinker correct? Club is back in the Gym? How is table availability?
    Correct. If you have tables for your stuff, please bring them. We will have a limited supply of tables from the venue, and both Brad and I will be bringing a few extras as well.

If I can get it working I'll try to bring the Amiga 2500HD or 4000T w/ Pangolin LD400, Win98 computer with Pangolin LD and maybe Laser Illusions (if I can find the serial number bypass since the stupid DAC lost it's serial.)
    I can get Rick's software running even without the serial key. He showed me the secret back when I was trying to help him solve the memory leak bug.

In the case of these I could use a bunch of smaller laser projectors. I can bring my two 3 watt pluto 2's and they are free to use in auditorium or anywhere they are needed.
    We'll try to get some lower power projectors for you. Worst case though - bring the Plutos just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    I'm going to see if I can bring up some of our Amiga and other various stuff from the graveyard to tinker with as well... I have no idea how to use any of it though.
    I'm a long-time Amiga user; if the hardware boots up we are golden.

Bringing a Kvant 20W+++ is still up in the air, depends on our rental inventory that week, I likely won't know till week of. But shooting for a 33W RGBY...
    Understood! The 33 watt unit would be amazing if it's available. (Lovely OPSL Yellow!)

Got approved for a few cool raffle prizes as well
    That's great news! Much appreciated dude!

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Oooooooh did I read that right YELLOW!🤗
    Yep. The 33 watt Kvants have OPSL Yellow in them. Supposed to make for an amazing color palette, although I haven't seen one in person yet. Last time I saw true yellow in a projector was years ago when we had the Coherent Starlight II up in the balcony...

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Someday SELEM's gonna end.
    Well, yeah, that would be Sunday, August 11th. But that's just when it ends this year. We'll be back next year, and the year after, and so on!

Adam