Thread: Some pretty amazing "3d" Tech

Default Some pretty amazing "3d" Tech

OK, nothing ground breaking here to anyone who's followed rave toys such as flow staffs.

However, this tech has now been applied to fans that can be fixed to walls and used for advertising or to "project" 3D effects, making them ideal for clubs, home parties etc (provided you keep the blades out of reach).

Several companies make this tech, and whilst ebay versions start from less than £100 for vga versions, there are more expensive 4 blade HD versions and even professional level 4K versions available, with 65cm being a common diameter.

A video from Linus Tech Tips here of a 4k pro version. Might not really be either 3D or holographic, but it is pretty impressive and cool looking for a club, party etc (suggest you up the viewing resolution to 1440P or 4K):

Cool! That said, US$3,240 per fan? Ouch. Now when China gets them down to US$324/fan, count me in for 9!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Check Techmoan on youtube, he reviewed a similar unit a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Cool! That said, US$3,240 per fan? Ouch. Now when China gets them down to US$324/fan, count me in for 9!

-David
    They have them on E-bay for around $150 for the 16 inch long units. That's with just two arms though, not the 4-arm design shown in the video. Still, they have something like 240 LEDs on them, so the resolution should be about half of the units shown in the video. I've toyed with the notion of buying one just to play with, but I have no idea how reliable they are.

I agree that at north of 3 grand per unit this is not something that will be adopted anytime soon. Especially when you consider that there's no good way to overlap adjacent fans... (You'll either have a dead spot with no video or you'll have varying depth on the rows/columns of fans.) But it is a cool effect.

Adam