Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visited the graveyard today

For sure it needs archived. Be a real shame to let that history vaporize. Let me know the hardware needed to read them and I’ll try to get a rig together. I have plenty pc stuff but the oldest mac I have is an se30. I have nothing amiga or commodore however. I may even have an a 10” floppy reader that still works. Sorry nomplatten readers. Pitched that with the last vax system. Plus need a truck to move it.

i think I see jazz drives. I even have that!

I've got an A500 that should be able to read the discs. But getting the files off the system is the issue. Serial would take forever. Also, we'd need to get a copy of a disc imaging program (like DiskMasher)...

Ethan has a 2500 with a hard disc, but unless he's got a Bridgeboard you still have the same problem of how to get the files off the Amiga's hard drive. (None of the Amiga's ever shipped with a network card, but with a bridgeboard you could have a second hard drive formatted in FAT16 that you could dump the files to and then connect to a PC.)

Wish I had kept more of my old Amiga stuff...

Adam

It's actually quite easy to add networking to an Amiga, I've done it. If I remember correctly, I used a PCMCIA network card and used Cygwin to provide the network services.

thats only an option on an A600 but there are a few ways a gotek is not the much or a vampire can do it but it a little overkill

i may have an old zorro arcnet card if anyone knows how to set that up in a modern network

Mine's a 1200, but I guess it's effectively an upgraded 600.

Ethernet wasn't really a thing for home computers in the 80's, which is why network support is so lacking for the Amiga. Hell, in the mid 1990's (long after Commodore folded) I remember pounding away for a couple hours just to get AmiTCP to work with my USR V.everything modem because we finally got a local dial-up ISP in Charleston. I didn't need a network port on my home PC until around 2000 or so when cable internet finally became available in my neighborhood. By that time I had long since given up on the Amiga.

PCMCIA slots were unique to the 600 and 1200 models, but if you have a working bridgeboard you can install an ISA ethernet card and access it from the MS-DOS side. (at least for the 2000, 3000, and 4000 models) Alas, all I have left now is an A500 and a CD-32.

Wonder if anyone was ever able to get the WinUAE to support reading and writing Amiga-OS floppies on a PC? If so that would be another solution... (I've been out of the community for so long that I don't know what's possible with modern hardware.)

Adam

Maybe David Francus or Aron can swing by the storage unit with me someday. They would be able to recognize what is of use and whatnot, and given that I get blessings from BB, I'd be happy to haul it all up to play with for SELEM
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Adam tell me what you need and I’ll hit up eBay. I’m driving down this time so I’ll have room. However.....it’s not coming home with me. I got enough stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    and given that I get blessings from BB
    What with all these support/upgrade/patching/etc improvements he's sounding more and more like the Messiah every day!!
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I'd love to see the Amiga running older stuff at SELEM.

They were always nice machines