Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: Static Lumia pics

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cleveland Ohio
    Posts
    2,521

    Default

    ithought he might have been doing something with oil or such. I have the same glass wheel frommikes Lumia device

    heyfound this watching your video

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gTpOzS-bmN0

    didnt know an led could focus that much.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Great lumia video. One easy methodology to achieve similar results (and it almost always guarantees similar, mind-blowing results) is to fine focus the beam on the rotating lumia target TT or display wheel. Back in the day, this was our standard method for getting an array of effects from any given lumia tube/disk, etc.
    yes, it is a most visually riveting video, especially since it is multi-colored. Dimpled glass gives far more detail in the whisps compared to plastic, which is what I used. I'll do another video with one of my glass tubes for lumia and post it for comparison. Also, there was a lot of detail in my 1st video, I just didn't have the camera's video exposure set properly to capture it effectively.
    ________________________________
    Everything depends on everything else

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Posts
    2,530

    Default

    Just found some new glasses and put in motion this weekend.
    https://youtu.be/ff2NGxPoDfQ

    [youtube]https://youtu.be/ff2NGxPoDfQ[/youtube]
    leading in trailing technology

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    yes, it is a most visually riveting video, especially since it is multi-colored. Dimpled glass gives far more detail in the whisps compared to plastic, which is what I used. I'll do another video with one of my glass tubes for lumia and post it for comparison. Also, there was a lot of detail in my 1st video, I just didn't have the camera's video exposure set properly to capture it effectively.
    My apologies for using such a low power laser for my demonstrations, but it was just the easiest thing to use to get this optical jig together quickly. I spent more time last night fine tuning my Samsung cell phone's Camera app exposure settings. To me (an old fart) the video I'm posting yields better results.

    Samsung Galaxy S6 camera settings: ISO 160, Shutter speed 1/500th sec.

    This video shows both the unfocused and focused beam lumia results. The lumia medium is a plastic disk, commonly available in large sheets at hardware stores in the mid 1970's to early 1980's, flat on the beam entry side, molded surface on the beam exit side. The effect is more striking when using a dimpled glass tube as the effects medium. (I just could not find the one glass tube I had...or used to have but have plenty of glass tubes to make new ones.)

    https://youtu.be/o2MJRyXzcq0
    ________________________________
    Everything depends on everything else

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Did anyone tried to project a lumia effect from a long distance on a small wall?
    Is there a way to make the image smaller after the lumia wheel?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aricha View Post
    Did anyone tried to project a lumia effect from a long distance on a small wall?
    Is there a way to make the image smaller after the lumia wheel?
    You ask a great question, Aricha. I can only speak from my experiences from 40+ years ago. Back then we had to explore what options came to mind to solve this same problem. It came down to two choices, stated here in order of easiest solution. (Also back then we just called them "laser cloud effects or laser clouds" and gave them names to describe their essence.)


    1. Find, or create a different refraction medium (lumia wheel, etc.) that produced the desirable lumia "cloud" size needed for the projection throw required.

    2. Try to focus the desired lumia cloud output with lenses, which in effect is using or creating a reverse zoom lens arrangement. A 10:1 35mm camera zoom lens could reduce the size of the lumia effect by a factor of 10 when used in reverse. This solution was an enormous pain in the butt.

    99% of the time we opted for #1.
    ________________________________
    Everything depends on everything else

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Thank you Lasermaster

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    1 hr from everything in SoCal
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    To follow, at this point it's better to make your own lumia glass. If you want a "smaller" lumia image, you need less dramatic inflections in the glass. The more dramatic the "hills and valleys" are, the wider the throw. I have found the easiest and safest lumia glass to start with is small borosilicate vials. if you heat gradually, they are pretty safe to work with. I have no glass experience and my first torture tubes were a piece of cake!

    The three in the middle are ones I made.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190601_170736014.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	56577
    Those who fail to grasp art are the ones who criticize it.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    To follow, at this point it's better to make your own lumia glass. If you want a "smaller" lumia image, you need less dramatic inflections in the glass. The more dramatic the "hills and valleys" are, the wider the throw. I have found the easiest and safest lumia glass to start with is small borosilicate vials. if you heat gradually, they are pretty safe to work with. I have no glass experience and my first torture tubes were a piece of cake!

    The three in the middle are ones I made.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190601_170736014.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	56577
    Your three tubes look great.

    Also, do not forget about textured acrylic plexiglass sheets which can easily be cut into circles of any diameter for mounting on drive motors.
    This link shows a sample set, the one on top would be typical of the kind of textured surface that would result in a small lumia suitable for long projection throws.
    https://www.eplastics.com/SAMPLE-ACR...xoCzAYQAvD_BwE

    This link shows one called "Cracked Ice" or Clear D3 that would make large images at shorter throws.
    https://www.regal-plastics.com/lighting-panels/
    Follow their web navigation here if the link to this texture doesn't take you there: Home // Acrylic (Plexiglass) // Textured Acrylic // Textured Acrylic Lighting Panels

    I just Google'd "Textured Acrylic Plexiglass Sheets". They are commonly used for overhead lighting fixtures. Hardware stores typically carry this stuff as well but not in great variation.

    Here are some examples pics from my library of my best and most loved "laser clouds", two made with different textured plexiglass patterns or a combination of two different textured disks, the "Clothes" one made with a torture tube created by Photonbeam.

    Laser used was a Coherent Radiation 1W Mixed Gas (Krypton/Argon) and/or 1W Krypton Ion Laser.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honk Kong Fashion Show-1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	56578
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser Redcloud-3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	56579
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stars-001a-RCloud2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	56580
    ________________________________
    Everything depends on everything else

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    1 hr from everything in SoCal
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Your three tubes look great.

    Also, do not forget about textured acrylic plexiglass sheets which can easily be cut into circles of any diameter for mounting on drive motors.
    This link shows a sample set, the one on top would be typical of the kind of textured surface that would result in a small lumia suitable for long projection throws.
    https://www.eplastics.com/SAMPLE-ACR...xoCzAYQAvD_BwE

    This link shows one called "Cracked Ice" or Clear D3 that would make large images at shorter throws.
    https://www.regal-plastics.com/lighting-panels/
    Follow their web navigation here if the link to this texture doesn't take you there: Home // Acrylic (Plexiglass) // Textured Acrylic // Textured Acrylic Lighting Panels

    I just Google'd "Textured Acrylic Plexiglass Sheets". They are commonly used for overhead lighting fixtures. Hardware stores typically carry this stuff as well but not in great variation.

    Here are some examples pics from my library of my best and most loved "laser clouds", two made with different textured plexiglass patterns or a combination of two different textured disks, the "Clothes" one made with a torture tube created by Photonbeam.

    Laser used was a Coherent Radiation 1W Mixed Gas (Krypton/Argon) and/or 1W Krypton Ion Laser.
    Thanks! The dimple tube I made is my favorite. I have one more beam deflecting Ledex to install and my Lumia projector will be done. I have another build thread going but i haven't updated it in ages. I have some good color blending going on that I am proud of. I'll post here when completed (should be this weekend). I never knew how much trouble mis-aligning beams was going to be to get the creamy color blending like what Polishedball has in his.

    I have never had very good luck with acrylic diffuser sheets. The throw is wide and the patterns always seem... harsh? That's the best way I can describe it. If anyone in the US has a Hobby Lobby near them, I found 1/8" Cracked Ice glass there. 12" sheet. That is one of my favorite patterns. I have found the difference between the cracked ice glass vs acrylic is that the texture is inverted. On the glass, the textured bumps are "Convex" and on the acrylic, they are "concave". It's pretty interesting.

    Very nice collection! Love the white you're getting off that Ar/Kr. DZ uses a mixed gas, as well. Sexy lasers. I would love to own one as they are pretty cheap now but water cooling and hefty power requirements make it less attractive not to mention the PCAOM needed for scanning.

    Do you have any pics of your hardware? If it's a trade secret, I totally understand.
    Those who fail to grasp art are the ones who criticize it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •