Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Static Lumia pics

Default Static Lumia pics

Lately I have been working with taking photos of patterns that I get by not running the motor, but turning the disk by by hand till I get something I like and then taking a photo of it.
    Just wanted to share and see if anyone else is doing this.
    Thanks
    Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190323_1936.jpg  

20190323_010609.jpg  

20190323_193618.jpg  

hotblue.jpg  

Looks good. I do this too.
    I find a combination of Ttube before a disc works best.
    As my Wobbulator discs are magnetically mounted, the are easy to adjust this way.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

nice work. I tried the same. There was a guy doing this if you google it. His images blew me away. It was microscopic diffraction patterns. Mike might know who I'm talking about. It was just so delicate.

found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLWbl89bWVs

Maybe someone can get him to come to SELEM https://www.linkedin.com/in/bbern/
    Last edited by kecked; 05-28-2019 at 11:56.

Holy crap! Brad Bernstein is a SELEM veteran! (BradleyJay) How in the hell could I have known him for years and yet not ever viewed this video before!?!

That's some seriously cool shit... We need to get him back to SELEM this year and have him demonstrate this!

Adam

Make it so captain

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Holy crap! Brad Bernstein is a SELEM veteran! (BradleyJay) How in the hell could I have known him for years and yet not ever viewed this video before!?!

That's some seriously cool shit... We need to get him back to SELEM this year and have him demonstrate this!

Adam
    Yeah, seems like something that would make for a nice session in the auditorium. The music goes a long way to making the lumia even more interesting.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    nice work. I tried the same. There was a guy doing this if you google it. His images blew me away. It was microscopic diffraction patterns. Mike might know who I'm talking about. It was just so delicate.

found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLWbl89bWVs

Maybe someone can get him to come to SELEM https://www.linkedin.com/in/bbern/
    Great lumia video. One easy methodology to achieve similar results (and it almost always guarantees similar, mind-blowing results) is to fine focus the beam on the rotating lumia target TT or display wheel. Back in the day, this was our standard method for getting an array of effects from any given lumia tube/disk, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Great lumia video. One easy methodology to achieve similar results (and it almost always guarantees similar, mind-blowing results) is to fine focus the beam on the rotating lumia target TT or display wheel. Back in the day, this was our standard method for getting an array of effects from any given lumia tube/disk, etc.
    I still love this and want to know how it’s done

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I still love this and want to know how it’s done
    Place (mount temporarily or whatever) a simple, convex lens in the beam path to modify the beam diameter. Your basic magnifying glass is a simple, convex lens. It is desirable to know the focal length of the lens but not all that important since shooting the laser beam through the lens will show you it's focal length, the distance from the lens that the beam becomes it's smallest diameter before it expands into a much fatter diameter beam.

It is at or very near the modified beam's focal length that you want it to shoot through the lumia effect media. You also want the lumia's rotation rate to be very, very, very slow and a speed controller is highly desired. Shoot for a rotation speed of .1 to .25 rpm to start with. My bet is that the lumia pattern consist of small, round dimple-like impressions in the clear plastic or glass tube media.

I haven't had a optical laser jig setup in eons but will see if I can whip something together and take pics and/or videos. Or if someone else can do so sooner than I can, that would be great.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Place (mount temporarily or whatever) a simple, convex lens in the beam path to modify the beam diameter. Your basic magnifying glass is a simple, convex lens. It is desirable to know the focal length of the lens but not all that important since shooting the laser beam through the lens will show you it's focal length, the distance from the lens that the beam becomes it's smallest diameter before it expands into a much fatter diameter beam.

It is at or very near the modified beam's focal length that you want it to shoot through the lumia effect media. You also want the lumia's rotation rate to be very, very, very slow and a speed controller is highly desired. Shoot for a rotation speed of .1 to .25 rpm to start with. My bet is that the lumia pattern consist of small, round dimple-like impressions in the clear plastic or glass tube media.

I haven't had a optical laser jig setup in eons but will see if I can whip something together and take pics and/or videos. Or if someone else can do so sooner than I can, that would be great.

Cheers,
    Be damn. I found stuff I hadn't used in decades within just minutes and setup a crude demo of what I've been describing for one method to create the lumia effect mentioned by kecked.

I'm attaching two still images showing the basic optical setup. In my example I used a 1.3" focal length simple lens to focus the beam to a small point at the point of contact with the back of the lumia disk (I also found in record time). The output of the lumia disk is projecting on an 8.5" x 11" piece of flat white printer paper at a distance of 6.75".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OpticalSetup-e.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	56569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lens+LumiaDisk&Motor-e.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	56570

I'll upload the video I took to my Youtube page and post here shortly. Here it is: https://youtu.be/widvhNOKJPY
    (apologies for the laser reflections in the video, but this was all a quickie and the phone camera was to the right of the laser, shooting at an angle.)

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 05-18-2020 at 14:15.