Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hand drawn hologram

Default hand drawn hologram

http://amasci.com/amateur/holo1.html

Not sure this really qualifies as a hologram as it is not a diffraction pattern.

"a three-dimensional image formed by the interference of light beams from a laser or other coherent light source."

http://amasci.com/amateur/hand1.html

verdict?

The very first 3D holographic image was made by hand drawing the fringes to be expected from a simple image (three crossed wires). Transparencies of the drawings were viewed in a stereoscope as in-line Gabor type holograms. A paper about the technique is below. This was done before Leith & Upatnieks published their work on the off-axis technique, or got a laser and made the first hologram of diffuse 3D images.

I think "scratchograms" are holograms. The definition you provided are way too limited. Holograms can certainly be made without laser light. Acoustic holography is a good example. My definition is "A hologram is a record of relative phase information, made using the interference properties of waves."

Meyer-Arendt.pdf
    Last edited by Eidetic; 06-20-2019 at 06:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    The very first 3D holographic image was made by hand drawing the fringes to be expected from a simple image (three crossed wires). Transparencies of the drawings were viewed in a stereoscope as in-line Gabor type holograms. A paper about the technique is below. This was done before Leith & Upatnieks published their work on the off-axis technique, or got a laser and made the first hologram of diffuse 3D images.

I think "scratchograms" are holograms. The definition you provided are way too limited. Holograms can certainly be made without laser light. Acoustic holography is a good example. My definition is "A hologram is a record of relative phase information, made using the interference properties of waves."

Meyer-Arendt.pdf

Thanks for the reply I am not educated on the history of holograms. It looked interesting so I thought I'd add a post to a quiet forum section.

Looks like the same as what's on the Star Wars records.

Now I like that. Wonder if you could do this with a laser cutter to make slight grooves. Much more complex possibilities. Write some code to take an image and convert to the scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Now I like that. Wonder if you could do this with a laser cutter to make slight grooves. Much more complex possibilities. Write some code to take an image and convert to the scratches.
    I like where your head's at! That would be really cool. It would be fairly precise too. Curious how small a spot the laser would have to be. I imagine pretty damn small.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Thanks for the reply I am not educated on the history of holograms. It looked interesting so I thought I'd add a post to a quiet forum section.
    Next time I'm at your place I'll bring some LitiHolo film..

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

People use e-beams to write surface relief fringes (scratches) into substrates to make masters for embossed hologram production. The resolution and complexity of the image comes with smaller and smaller fringes. Same thing with digital holography on LCoS. We're using 3 micron pixels and they're the smallest available, but they really need to be an order of magnitude or two smaller.

... hmmm ... my fiberlaser has normally 30 micron spot-size and can be optimized to 10 microns, what's too big for details with 3 microns or even finer.

But my sister showed me some "shrinked art", made with common "thermoformed" packaging materials, which shrinks up to 3x-6x smaller, when heated in the oven.

Could be an option to engrave the thermoformed (stretched) plastic and then shrink it, to get much "finer" lines ?!?

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... hmmm ... my fiberlaser has normally 30 micron spot-size and can be optimized to 10 microns, what's too big for details with 3 microns or even finer.

But my sister showed me some "shrinked art", made with common "thermoformed" packaging materials, which shrinks up to 3x-6x smaller, when heated in the oven.

Could be an option to engrave the thermoformed (stretched) plastic and then shrink it, to get much "finer" lines ?!?

Viktor
    oh I’m liking where this is going. Something old something new. Who can code this to try it? I’ve never seen this done in software. I’m sure it can be done on a laser cutter. If a compas scratch is small enough so is a laser ditch. For that matter blowing away anodizing on aluminum with laser cutter should make a durable end product. BUT. How about on bent shapes so say all surface of a cube or sphere or whatever can show. I’d like to see a comic strip or such. How about holographic dice? A billiard ball with hologram numbers? .....

etch in differenct color layers so when you change lighting lighting it changes what you see. Say thee or four color layers based on depth... oh yea I like this. Greeting cards. Instruction manuals. Lots of possibilities.