Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printers - Who has them?

I have 2 printers.

The big printer is a See Me CNC kit called Rostock Max. I've had it for over 10 years. It has many hours on it. My wife says it was one of the best purchases I ever make. I use it for large prints.

The smaller unit is the Any Cubic Photon. It is an SLA printer. The resolution is incredible. I have only had this one a few months.

Ryan asked about things we printed that are laser related.
    I printed a mechanical laser projector. It uses a hand crank geared to 2 cams that moves a laser pointer to create the images. It works OK, but the interesting part is the mechanical creation of the images. I had it at SELEM 2 years ago.

ChrisAttachment 55619
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190626_065852[1].jpg  

Sis is a sticky mess. I’m not impressed but my only entry point is formlabs form1. Quite frankly when it works it’s amazingly g and when not it’s horrible. To much when not compared to when does. Also cutting the supports is Royal pita. Pva is much better. To bad it can’t be recycled. Really it could. If dissolved in water all you really need is an extruder/ dryer head to make new support again. Surprised no one has tried.

dissolve in straight water skip alcohol and NaOH. Yes would take longer but you recover the pva. Guess it’s not that expensive that people care.

my only complaint with Prusa is the waste block when multimaterial printing. I think two heads would be worth it to save on support or a second color. Purging each time especially for support is a major waste. I can see other color but not support. Some time the block is bigger than the piece being printed. Even if it was used to print a different object in random color it would be better. Heck print benches all around the build platform. At least do something with it. Or make separate color pile blocks so you can recover and maybe use the blocks for something else? Legos?

Default resin printer 300.00

I don't personally own any 3d printers because I just mooch off of the ones at work . That being said: Stratasys Objet Eden 360V; formlabs; and a tazbot for quick FDM jobs. A few years ago, I built a beam table where almost all of the optomechanics and adapter plates were 3d printed. Gave a presentation on it at SELEM and we used it for beam effects on the stage w/ a SP-168 during the live DSOTM show that year. I made all of those parts on the Objet. The resin is a dream to tap and holds a thread remarkably well.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    It is slightly concerning that people who are injured have to print their own med kit
    Yeah if they're not fast you could bleed out whilst your waiting.

... hmmm ... I just imagine: every driver has an "emergency 3D pen" in his medicine box to be able to help out in case of an accident

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

I recently bought a CR-10s and have been having a lot of fun with it. Made some lamps with custom wired ws2812 addressable LED strips run off of an ESP8266 and WLED. Picture below for reference! Had a odd, related/unrelated question. Has anyone ever tried to create laser lumia off a 3D printer? I had an idea of taking a distorted bubble image or something distorted and converting to a lithograph and printing in translucent filament and was curious if anyone has tried this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPEG_20200513_144118.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	56817

You all have some amazing machines. I started with the Printrbot Kickstarter machine and after several upgrades that were mostly toys, I now have a Prusa MK3S which I consider a proper tool. It's in another room controlled by a Raspberry Pi running Octoprint. 99.5% of the time I throw jobs at it and come back later to finished parts. First printer I've owned that does not need constant adult supervision

One of my recent projects is an adjustable beam expander for Taipan laser heads. I've gotten reasonably proficient with Fusion 360 and have been able to print amazingly functional fine pitch threads so the only parts that are not printed are the lenses. A while back I got into OpenSCAD and made a parametric galvo mirror mounting jig, and optical chopper blade.

Does 2.5D count? I got a used Othermill so I can whip up PCBs in short order. Usually single sided and with 20 mil traces, 32 mil spacing so I can use a 1/32" end mill instead of the 1/64". Still *way* better than hand wiring prototypes.

It still feels like living in the future every time I go from idea to function device all in-house.

... yes, one of my interests is exactly this "ultimative DIY capability", regardles of material or fabbing technique

Until now I have several systes and tools for:
    - CNC-milling (when needed, for submicron-capabilities too)
    - 3D-printing -- FDM, UV-jetting, DLP-UV-resin, LOM, ...
    - SLS with all sorts of laser-meltable powders
    - DLM with metal wires, ...
    - laser-cutting and -engraving
    - micro-assembly

... but lacks of chip-manufacturing capabilities yet

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... but lacks of chip-manufacturing capabilities yet

Viktor
    just ask mixedgas how good I am at making chips on a lathe!

i can turn anything into chips....and lots of smoke.