Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing: "The Radiator"

Default throw money

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    jest throw money at it until its solved!

Those look promising for use, would be nice if they came in rolls 4' to 6'
    wide and about 10' long or longer.
    I am going with SWAMIDOG's suggestion" cotton sheet painted 3 or 4 coats
    of glow in the dark @$29.00 a pint (ouch) Just to get it the set up and running. Then after playing around for a while I'll search out those rolls and or like products and experiment a bit. Need to find a UV projector for best effects, I bet one of my old cheep chines projectors would work providing it has a 405nm rather than a 445nm head in it. will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasertize View Post
    jest throw money at it until its solved!

Those look promising for use, would be nice if they came in rolls 4' to 6'
    wide and about 10' long or longer.
    I am going with SWAMIDOG's suggestion" cotton sheet painted 3 or 4 coats
    of glow in the dark @$29.00 a pint (ouch) Just to get it the set up and running. Then after playing around for a while I'll search out those rolls and or like products and experiment a bit. Need to find a UV projector for best effects, I bet one of my old cheep chines projectors would work providing it has a 405nm rather than a 445nm head in it. will see.
    the cotton works well just heavy and hard to store. This stuff is thin and light and durable. But it might also be reflective as hell and that would suck so you might need a clear frosted sheet in front of it. Now it’s getting expensive and complicated.

Default First results: controlling Radiator presetsfrom QLC* via MIDI

Quote Originally Posted by shivahoj View Post
    Since I am planning on a slightly larger setup with QLC+ (DMX and Artnet, several moving heads, foggers and Wash lights), Video(Resolume Arena) and a Radiator(via ILDA to a Laser, plus the HDMI signal fed back into resolume with a Blackmagic capture device), I want to automate as much as possible on Radiator.
    Right now , in Corona times, I have a lot of time thinking about new ways to do stuff...

I already tried to control Radiator via Network, see this post: https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sho...184#post355184
    but swamidog told me this is not the easy way to go.
    Now I hooked a simple MIDI fader device(http://www.doepfer.de/pf.htm) to the radiator, and I can control SOME things on the radiator. Most direct CC-controlled items work fine, these are all that have a number under CC in the manual.
    I didn't check them all, but the Bank Change (CC32) does not work as expected.it should accept values from 0-9, giving access to 10 Banks of 100 presets each. No matter what I send on MIDI CC32 here, the bank does not change on the tiny screen (or maybe it don't change anyways, because it is organised on 100 Banks of 10 Slots each?)
    Furthermore, in each bank, how (with which MIDI CC command) do I select one of the 100 presets and put it out to the laser?
    It NEEDS to be CC, because the software I chose as the central hub(QLC+ 4.12, because it is free and available for Mac , Win and Linux) can send out CC messages OR PC(program change) OR Note Velocity, but ever just one of the three. And I am stuck to CC, because I want to automate all the CC and NRPN(non-registered Parameter Number) values, and have to use CC for that.

I managed to get a setup for the first 100 radiator presets selectable via MIDI from QLC+ (like above, a free Lighting program). Here it is...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by shivahoj; 12-21-2020 at 10:12.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    Maybe I can clarify a little.

MIDI Bank and Program Change
    Presets within the currently loaded show can be accessed via MIDI Program Change and Bank Change
    messages. Presets are organized into 10 banks of 100 presets each. Program change values 0-99 can be
    used to select presets in the current bank. Banks are selected using the standard MIDI Bank LSB CC
    message. Send value of 0-9 to access one of 10 banks.

Changing a preset bank or value does not change the page display on the Radiator. They are uncoupled. If you want to change the page use midi cc 82 and a low value to decrement the page or a high value to increment the page. Remember, you are simulating a knob turn so there's no random access, but you could do 10 decrements to guarantee you're at page 0 and then an arbitrary number of increments.

a bank change must be followed up with a program change to activate a preset in the chosen bank... use program change 1-100 (0-99) to select presets within the bank
    Wait, what? This is very confusing.
    You write "you could do 10 decrements to guarantee you're at page 0", so i guess we are talking about the presets ordered in 10 pages by 100 presets mode? Otherwise, if we are talking about the 100 pages with 10 presets each(like in the display), i still might be high above page 0.
    But then, if we're talking about the organization in 10 pages by 100 presets, where we would use CC82, why are there only 10 presets to choose from (CC 20 to 29, on page 46 in the manual). I think these 10 CC's are equal to the 10 Buttons on the Radiator?
    Or would i need to use the CC82 (Preset page) form Appendix A and then CC32(bank change) from Appendix B?

TBH, i still don't get it when to use the Values from the Midi/TCP Panel Protocol(App. A), and those of the Midi control protocol(App.B). For example, both CC40(App. A) and CC1(App. B) control the Hue value, one via simulated turning of the knob, the other directly. Where is the difference?

I am only just learning Midi, so these might be noob questions...
    Last edited by shivahoj; 12-21-2020 at 14:28.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i've been experimenting a bit with combining radiator laser projection and video projection. in these videos i'm taking hdmi video out from the radiator, running it through synesthesia.live and video projecting the output over the laser projection.

i would love to do some of this in a dome or scale up onto the side of buildings.

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Cool Synesthesia

SWAMIDOG,
    outstanding! That's right up there with the UV projections you do.
    What is this Synesthesia? Is this a controller add on or soft ware that gives the extra effect? Dammit! Now I want one!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasertize View Post
    SWAMIDOG,
    outstanding! That's right up there with the UV projections you do.
    What is this Synesthesia? Is this a controller add on or soft ware that gives the extra effect? Dammit! Now I want one!
    synesthesia is video synthesis software:

http://synesthesia.live/
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    synesthesia is video synthesis software:

http://synesthesia.live/
    The real meaning of the word synesthesia is a phenomenon that probably occurs in the Cerebral Cortex of the human brain. It is the sensation of stimulus of one sense triggered by another sense. In other words, when you hear music, you might see colors in your imagination. Or when you see colors or shapes, you might imagine sounds. This is probably where the connection between visual representations of language originated. I know I have seen some art that quite literally bumps and hums with sounds in my mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

yes. the software is quite aptly named.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    The real meaning of the word synesthesia is a phenomenon that probably occurs in the Cerebral Cortex of the human brain. It is the sensation of stimulus of one sense triggered by another sense. In other words, when you hear music, you might see colors in your imagination. Or when you see colors or shapes, you might imagine sounds. This is probably where the connection between visual representations of language originated. I know I have seen some art that quite literally bumps and hums with sounds in my mind.

Default Cool

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post

That's cool to know, pretty much like the few and privileged that see sound, taste or smell sound.
    I'll bet The ones who do see sound would be the best at producing laser shows of any form.