Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing: "The Radiator"

Looks like a fun piece of gear. Just pledged my $.

Any plans to make it 19" rack mount?

The ILDA input sounds like a good idea too.
    Eric in New Orleans

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

thank you!

I'll talk to Andrew about the idea being able to bolt rack ears on it.

Quote Originally Posted by djeric68 View Post
    Looks like a fun piece of gear. Just pledged my $.

Any plans to make it 19" rack mount?

The ILDA input sounds like a good idea too.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Okay, can I just say that ILDA was the F...ing worst thing that ever happened to laser shows? If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I’ve seen two different “lumia” “shows” here in the last two weeks where the “choreographer” thought strobing the lumia was a good idea. Hammer/f...ing/nail - rent a clue - see if you can cope with it...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Okay, can I just say that ILDA was the F...ing worst thing that ever happened to laser shows? If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I’ve seen two different “lumia” “shows” here in the last two weeks where the “choreographer” thought strobing the lumia was a good idea. Hammer/f...ing/nail - rent a clue - see if you can cope with it...

I hate to feed the trolls and have yet another thread derailed by the "artist" formerly known as but... The tools don't make the artist. Any artist can use any tool. Some are dismal at it, others are amazing. I've seen sheet-metal art that dispels the hammer bit but it's hyperbole, I know. Thing is, using ilda as a function generator is not just using a hammer. Laserium recorded bits of their shows that, granted, were artist generated but parts were still canned and the laserist would manipulate the canned show while adding in live elements. Magnetic tape or ilda... doesn't matter, still a canned seed.

Art is a passion and "artist" is not a status so, get over yourself. You are a Laserium laserist but you wear it like a badge. I see no passion there. Just self-righteousness. Why the fuck do you care what others use as their medium? If they are poor at creation and/or execution, they will fail. You're like the painter that said photography would ruin art.

Anyway, I am done with this conversation. Sorry to do this in your thread, Chris. Your last video is pretty awesome. I have no doubt you will be presenting this lovely device at SELEM. I hope someone gets video of the demonstration, if there is one.

Way back when, we (at laserium) shared with each other things that worked and didn’t work - at all. (because - well - there was this thing called an audience - way back when...) Pretty much, we all came to believe that strobing the audience was a bad f...ing thing to do, if you think it’s just another artistic choice, run with that..., but just perhaps your software is constraining your creativity...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I’ve seen two different “lumia” “shows” here in the last two weeks where the “choreographer” thought strobing the lumia was a good idea.
    So based on two shows you didn't personally care for, you jump to the conclusion that ILDA is the worst thing that ever happened to laser shows? How does that follow? Do you honestly believe that those two lumia shows represent the entire body of laser show artwork?

I think what you meant to say is that ILDA is the worst thing to happen to the shows that *you* used to like, because you prefer that everything be just the way you like it, and to hell with what other people might want to experiment with or enjoy.

rent a clue - see if you can cope with it
    Pot.kettle.black. You need to rent a clue, as it's abundantly clear that you *can't* cope with it. NEWSFLASH: Not everyone agrees with your personal tastes. More to the point: art is, and as always been, subjective. How is it that you've been in the industry this long and you still haven't figured that out?

To give you an example: I don't particularly care for hardstyle/jumpstyle EDM. Given your old-school comments in the past, and the fact that we're likely from the same generation, I'll venture a guess that you don't care for it either. But regardless of our personal tastes, that doesn't take anything away from the people who *love* this music, or the laserists who produce choreographed shows for this music. Who are you to deny them their enjoyment?

Would I pay to go to a laser show featuring hardstyle music? Probably not. But that doesn't mean I'm going to shit all over someone else's work - especially when they clearly have a passion for it. Sure, I might offer some suggestions, but if they want to do things their own way, so be it. I don't have to go to that show, and neither do you. There's lots of other laser artwork that does appeal to me. And guess what? Most of that new artwork owes a debt to ILDA.

Way back when, we (at laserium) shared with each other things that worked and didn’t work - at all.
    Do you honestly believe that this doesn't happen anymore? Come on - get with the times already! There are these new things called Laser Enthusiast's Meetings - perhaps you've heard of them? It's a chance for hobbyists and budding artists to get together with industry professionals and share information while enjoying the artwork and the camaraderie.

Instead of pissing and moaning about the new generation of talent-lacking laserists, why not come out and meet some of them in person? At least that way instead of sharing between "each other at laserium" (which doesn't do anything but perpetuate laserium-style shows), you can share with people who weren't even alive when laserium was a thing, and might still not even know what laserium was all about. And who knows? You might become enamored with what some people are doing with their modern take on old-school abstracts (like the Radiator, for example).

Seriously dude - the "I was doing lasers when you were a child" routine is getting old. We get it - you've been there and done that. But don't get so arrogant that you miss the new stuff happening now. You're never so old that you can't learn something new (and I say that as a grandfather).

Adam

There are two kinds of fool. One says, “This is old, therefore it is good.” The other says, “This is new, therefore it is better.” - Dean Inge

When you pick up a guitar for the first time and you play around with it - everybody knows you can't play. Laser stuff is pretty much innately pretty - even when it sucks. There is so much more technology available today. So many more people using it, but Sturgeon's law still dominates. You look at the past for a reality check - If people "way back when" we doing stuff worse than today - that's great - if you're just doing different stuff than yesterday and you don't realize it's because your tools and worse your understanding of those tools is simply the reason it looks different - well I'm not going to pretend all is well in laserville.

blah, blah, get off my lawn
    Post some videos of your latest work. I'd love to learn where the threshold is for what is truly art.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

In an attempt to steer this thread back to the actual topic at hand, here's some footage from a recent performance I did with the Radiator.

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Chris -

Are you planning to have one of the latest versions of Radiator available at SELEM for some hands-on demonstrations?
    I figure that's probably all it would take to push me over the "gotta' have that, take my money" abyss, LOL...

Thanks!
    Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....