Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing: "The Radiator"

Default Bigger Radiator Screen via remote Viewing ?

The one thing that mostly annoys me about the radiator is the tiny tiny screen.
    Mostly because i am short sighted, and in my age, my eyes struggle a lot focusing between the laser image several meters away and the screen on my lap.

When i read that linux on a quad core computer runs the device, i tried my luck and connected the Micro USB-Port to my Mac.
    A drive named "boot" showed up, and i tar' ed its contents ( mostly hardware-related stuff, like device-tree-blobs (*.dtb)) to the mac.

A quick port scan revealed the usual suspects: ssh, dhcpc, zeroconf,
    but the root filesystem is not accessible until now.
    Upon opening the case i found a Raspberry 3+ Compute Module.
    Since this is very well documented, its only a matter of time, until i get there.

I would like to start a service that presents the tiny screen to another computer via the network port (with Teamviewer, realvnc, remmina etc. , you name it).
    Then I could turn a bigger monitor even to portrait mode...

Is anybody else interested in this?

@swamidog: Could we dedicate a key Combination or a menu item to outputting the Radiator screen to the HDMI Port?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

I'm not sure what you intend to accomplish by scraping the file system, but... <shrug> Please be careful, we certainly can't offer support if you break something by making changes to the internal Radiator configuration.

There are better ways that we're talking through. Since the Radiator supports bi-directional tcp communications, it is possible to create alternate external interfaces. I would love to do a TouchOSC system running on an a tablet. It would be pretty trivial, we just need open up some more variables to the network communications and then you guys could spin up any sort of display you want.

Honestly, I think as you get more comfortable with the Radiator, you'll become less and less dependent on the built in display, but I do agree on the utility of having a larger display.

Quote Originally Posted by shivahoj View Post
    The one thing that mostly annoys me about the radiator is the tiny tiny screen.
    Mostly because i am short sighted, and in my age, my eyes struggle a lot focusing between the laser image several meters away and the screen on my lap.

When i read that linux on a quad core computer runs the device, i tried my luck and connected the Micro USB-Port to my Mac.
    A drive named "boot" showed up, and i tar' ed its contents ( mostly hardware-related stuff, like device-tree-blobs (*.dtb)) to the mac.

A quick port scan revealed the usual suspects: ssh, dhcpc, zeroconf,
    but the root filesystem is not accessible until now.
    Upon opening the case i found a Raspberry 3+ Compute Module.
    Since this is very well documented, its only a matter of time, until i get there.

I would like to start a service that presents the tiny screen to another computer via the network port (with Teamviewer, realvnc, remmina etc. , you name it).
    Then I could turn a bigger monitor even to portrait mode...

Is anybody else interested in this?

@swamidog: Could we dedicate a key Combination or a menu item to outputting the Radiator screen to the HDMI Port?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    I'm not sure what you intend to accomplish by scraping the file system, but... <shrug> Please be careful, we certainly can't offer support if you break something by making changes to the internal Radiator configuration.
    It is just out of curiosity, I was just wondering what's under the hood...
    The primary reason i started thinking was really the screen thing!
    S
    o I was thinking of an easy fix for this. Displaying the small screen onto a bigger one just seemed the way to go...

There are better ways that we're talking through. Since the Radiator supports bi-directional tcp communications, it is possible to create alternate external interfaces. I would love to do a TouchOSC system running on an a tablet. It would be pretty trivial, we just need open up some more variables to the network communications and then you guys could spin up any sort of display you want.
    TBH, I have not too good experience with OSC on Mac and Linux, often the transmission from and feedback to an old iPad, was not reliable. The iPad may be to blame.
    (I tried this with QLC+ , Max MSP and PureData)

Honestly, I think as you get more comfortable with the Radiator, you'll become less and less dependent on the built in display, but I do agree on the utility of having a larger display.
    I think my approach is a rather analytical one, because I also hooked a cheap Chinese 4 channel scope to LFO 1+2, and X and Y outputs, to really see all the waveforms on the same timebase and their interaction with the other modules.

BTW: I found a minor issue when saving a setup to one of the 10 preset keys: even when i press and hold Shift+Enter, then press some Modules select buttons to NOT store them, as mentioned on page 12, all modules will get stored, and all the tiny colored boxes below the peview pictures are there.

Would You announce new software/firmware versions You offer for download and publish a changelog?

Do you already have a distributor in Germany ? If not, maybe i would buy some radiators and sell them in Germany...

Curiosity is an excellent thing

I've done a few arts festivals using touchOSC on an ipad talking to a linux app I developed. I never had any data transmission issues. You may be right about having trouble with your old ipad, or maybe something was flakey with the wifi.

Remember, that little screen isn't super high res. If you do manage to redirect it to an external display, it's either going to stay tiny or get super chunky.

Thanks for the heads up on the presets. I haven't noticed that issue. Can you prepare a little video and mail it to us so we can see exactly what's happening? Are you sure it's skipping an entire module or just some phase data in that module?

I'd love to see some photos / video of your setup with the scope

We're not currently looking for international distributors, but I appreciate your offer and will keep it in mind.

It is just out of curiosity, I was just wondering what's under the hood...
    The primary reason i started thinking was really the screen thing!
    S
    o I was thinking of an easy fix for this. Displaying the small screen onto a bigger one just seemed the way to go...

TBH, I have not too good experience with OSC on Mac and Linux, often the transmission from and feedback to an old iPad, was not reliable. The iPad may be to blame.
    (I tried this with QLC+ , Max MSP and PureData)

I think my approach is a rather analytical one, because I also hooked a cheap Chinese 4 channel scope to LFO 1+2, and X and Y outputs, to really see all the waveforms on the same timebase and their interaction with the other modules.

BTW: I found a minor issue when saving a setup to one of the 10 preset keys: even when i press and hold Shift+Enter, then press some Modules select buttons to NOT store them, as mentioned on page 12, all modules will get stored, and all the tiny colored boxes below the peview pictures are there.

Would You announce new software/firmware versions You offer for download and publish a changelog?

Do you already have a distributor in Germany ? If not, maybe i would buy some radiators and sell them in Germany...

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Here's a little Black Fourday discount to help you get a Radiator

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0848.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	57350

Default Hidden Gem: (TAP) in to punch Music beat into LFO 1,2 and 3...

Hello,
    on the Radiator, in the three LFO sections, there is a line (TAP) right under the enable Button for each LFO.
    If You hold the SHIFT Button and tap in a Music beat on this button the LFO will pick it up.
    My piano metronome ranges from 40 to 240 Ticks per minute, and the frequency reading(in Hz = BPM/60) reflects that precisely.
    There is no mention of it in the manual.

Or did You people all know and just foolish me was too dumb to find the obvious?
    Did anybody else find other goodies?

Default first steps to remote-control Radiator

I found a strange behaviour:
    When I control the preset buttons via network, all is fine:
    Code:
    cat ./choose_preset |nc 10.0.0.23 4815
    switches to the fifth preset(starting count from zero) , with choose_preset containing (OS X's hexdump):
    Code:
    dirk➜~» xxd ./choose_preset                                                                                                                 
    00000000: 0a73 2032 3420 7472 7565 0a73 2032 3420  .s 24 true.s 24
    00000010: 6661 6c73 650a 0a                        false..
    dirk➜~»
    I just wrote the line in nano on the command line, no fancy ASCII wizardry...

and it works with Preset page selection:
    Code:
    dirk➜~»cat ./pg_incr |nc 10.0.0.23 4815
    dirk➜~» cat pg_incr    
    e 82 1
    but when I try to increment or decrement some knob, it always INCREMENTS it by 1 % each time I run it, no matter how much I try to change...
    Code:
     cat saturate_decrease_30ticks |nc 10.0.0.23 4815
    with saturate_decrease_30ticks containing (hexdump again)
    Code:
    dirk➜~» xxd saturate_decrease_30ticks                                                                                                            [19:26:57]
    00000000: 2072 2034 3120 2d33 300a 0a               r 41 -30..
    dirk➜~»
    Where am I wrong?
    Last edited by shivahoj; 12-01-2020 at 09:56.

also noted that the Mod P1, Mod P2 and Mod P3 knobs (as well as their "softknob" in the menu) have an incredibly fine resolution.
    Yes, I raised this with Chris on Messenger the first night I used my Radiator.
    I've heard it mentioned elsewhere too, so I'm sure its well on their radar.

In terms of the screen, would one solution be to send the screen out of the HDMI port to an external monitor?
    Obviously you'd have to choose between output or monitor (new option in the output menu) for the HDMI port, but its one option that might be flexible and quite easily achieved?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by shiva
    on the Radiator, in the three LFO sections, there is a line (TAP) right under the enable Button for each LFO.
    If You hold the SHIFT Button and tap in a Music beat on this button the LFO will pick it up.
    My piano metronome ranges from 40 to 240 Ticks per minute, and the frequency reading(in Hz = BPM/60) reflects that precisely.
    There is no mention of it in the manual.

Or did You people all know and just foolish me was too dumb to find the obvious?
    It hadn't occurred to me that wasn't in the manual.
    It's fairly similar to a lot of tap to time functions on lighting desks that I use, so I think I just saw the 'tap' word and realised it was a dual action button, so probably modified by the shift key.
    And it was!
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Controlling values with the panel protocol does not allow the changing of by specific amounts because it is just simulating knobs being turned. It is necessary to use the MIDI protocol if you want to set specific values.

I found a strange behaviour:
    When I control the preset buttons via network, all is fine:
    Code:
    cat ./choose_preset |nc 10.0.0.23 4815
    switches to the fifth preset(starting count from zero) , with choose_preset containing (OS X's hexdump):
    Code:
    dirk➜~» xxd ./choose_preset                                                                                                                 
    00000000: 0a73 2032 3420 7472 7565 0a73 2032 3420  .s 24 true.s 24
    00000010: 6661 6c73 650a 0a                        false..
    dirk➜~»
    I just wrote the line in nano on the command line, no fancy ASCII wizardry...

and it works with Preset page selection:
    Code:
    dirk➜~»cat ./pg_incr |nc 10.0.0.23 4815
    dirk➜~» cat pg_incr    
    e 82 1
    but when I try to increment or decrement some knob, it always INCREMENTS it by 1 % each time I run it, no matter how much I try to change...
    Code:
     cat saturate_decrease_30ticks |nc 10.0.0.23 4815
    with saturate_decrease_30ticks containing (hexdump again)
    Code:
    dirk➜~» xxd saturate_decrease_30ticks                                                                                                            [19:26:57]
    00000000: 2072 2034 3120 2d33 300a 0a               r 41 -30..
    dirk➜~»
    Where am I wrong?