Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2019 Presentation and Auditorium Schedules

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Who's running the Laserdock demo on Wednesday?
    I dunno. Swamidog or I, I assume. It's not really a demo, its just playing music to the Laserdock DAC/software and letting it do its thing. Through a better projector than what WickedLasers sells, though. If someone wants to create a fun music playlist that they'd like to play through it, please bring it with you on a USB key to SELEM.

I will also bring one of the new WickedLasers tiny cubes for folks to look at. It is damn impressive for the $$$. If I just wanted to play around with lasers and wasn't sure I wanted to invest the big money into hardware and software, I would give this a go as my first laser. It is also very useful as a portable toy for those of us that have already made the serious investment. Sadly it has yet to get varianced in the U.S.

Here's the promo demo:

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

wow...looking forward so much, especially after seeing the schedule.... Impressed, also looking forward seeing all the people from PL in real life...
    Leaving 2nd of August, first visiting NY (any laser / science related stuff i need to see there ? All tips welcome...) flying in on tuesdayafternoon to Charlotte...
    oh man, i am excited...
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    I dunno. Swamidog or I, I assume. It's not really a demo, its just playing music to the Laserdock DAC/software and letting it do its thing. Through a better projector than what WickedLasers sells, though. If someone wants to create a fun music playlist that they'd like to play through it, please bring it with you on a USB key to SELEM.

I will also bring one of the new WickedLasers tiny cubes for folks to look at. It is damn impressive for the $$$. If I just wanted to play around with lasers and wasn't sure I wanted to invest the big money into hardware and software, I would give this a go as my first laser. It is also very useful as a portable toy for those of us that have already made the serious investment. Sadly it has yet to get varianced in the U.S.

Here's the promo demo:

-David
    You could demo the basic functions of LaserOS though, right?

Default Unfortunate turn of events - Scanimate Presentation Update

All,

Due to a very unfortunate and surprise health related issue, Dave Sieg will be unable to make his presentation on the Scanimate system this year at SELEM 2019... He is currently back at home, but sadly will be "out of commission" for a couple of months.

I ask all of us to wish Dave a speedy recovery, so we can look forward to seeing him next time.

I know how much I, and all of us were looking forward to this presentation AND meeting and talking with Dave, but we will have to wait another year - his health is the most important thing right now. Dave was also really excited to meet all of us, and see the "laser versions of Scanimate" and all of the cool new projects and experimental stuff we are all working on. We will need to post a lot pictures especially this year, to help keep his spirits high too, if not here, then on Facebook > Photonlexicon, maybe even a live stream

Thanks, see you all in a week, and safe travels to everyone
    Did my first "Laser Lumia Show" in 1974... and have never stopped experimenting !

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    You could demo the basic functions of LaserOS though, right?
    After playing with this earlier today, I think I can. I'll keep working at it as time permits.

-David

Default Did I see someone mention LASER LUMIA...

Quote Originally Posted by Lumia View Post
    All,

Due to a very unfortunate and surprise health related issue, Dave Sieg will be unable to make his presentation on the Scanimate system this year at SELEM 2019... He is currently back at home, but sadly will be "out of commission" for a couple of months.

I ask all of us to wish Dave a speedy recovery, so we can look forward to seeing him next time.

I know how much I, and all of us were looking forward to this presentation AND meeting and talking with Dave, but we will have to wait another year - his health is the most important thing right now. Dave was also really excited to meet all of us, and see the "laser versions of Scanimate" and all of the cool new projects and experimental stuff we are all working on. We will need to post a lot pictures especially this year, to help keep his spirits high too, if not here, then on Facebook > Photonlexicon, maybe even a live stream

Thanks, see you all in a week, and safe travels to everyone
    Aron, you're mention of Laser Lumia struck a chord. I hope Dave recovers well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laser Lumia - 1978.jpg  

Laser Lumia - Winnipeg Free Press 1980.jpg  

LASERLUMIA - Hayden Planetarium ticket 1984.jpg  

LASERLUMIA - Mind Bending Laser Show article in Miami WHERE Magazine - Aug 11 1979.jpg  

Symphony Night Fever - Laserlumia - 2-3-1979 - 1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Lumia View Post
    All,

Ouch that's not good, hope he recovers fast.
    Wouldn't it be nice to send him a big post card with good luck wishes for him from all people present ? So that he knows we are thinking about him, wishing him well ?
    That is, if someone has his snail mail address ?
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Default My first "Show"

Love the history, that "Laser Lumia" show was just a few months after I started at AVI!

I need to explain my tagline (for those who may wonder) "Did my first "Laser Lumia Show" in 1974... and have never stopped experimenting !"

My first "Show" was for my parents and grandparents... It consisted of an over driven penlight bulb, with integral lens, and lasted about 2 minutes, got hot as hell, burned my fingers, and was like looking at a welders arc. The light "beam" was projected thru various colored cellophane pieces, and reflected off tin foil - all to any music that was playing on my AM radio at the time (it was Christmas time).

After that, my parents / grandparents knew I was "different", a special child, and by special, I mean crazy. The next year I purchased a new Metrologic He-Ne for ~$350 (IIR), and was all of the money I had saved up from cutting grass for a few years, and all of my birthday money (even I wondered if I was crazy!)... I ordered it via Telex to Metrologic, at a friends father's business, got a confirmation, and sent a check my dad wrote from his business (they would not except a personal check ).

That bright red "Laser Light" was magical, it allowed my to remain a child all of my life.

The rest is history - or hysterical, depending on how you view me
    Did my first "Laser Lumia Show" in 1974... and have never stopped experimenting !

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post

Here's the promo demo:

-David
    It will be nice to see one of those in person. I kind of want to get one.

Hey upcoming SELEM attendees,

The SELEM schedules have been updated several times in the first post in this thread. As I'm about to leave for the venue, this is the last time they will be updated here. Additional changes will be made to the hardcopy posts printed throughout the event and in the on-line schedule that Sal (Discothefunkyhippo) created as well as alerts made in GroupMe.

Thanks and safe travels to all!

-David