Thread: FEELER FOR TEXLEM IN DFW Oct 12th-- FREE Lasershow- by 'Bricks in the Wall/PF band

Default FEELER FOR TEXLEM IN DFW Oct 12th-- FREE Lasershow- by 'Bricks in the Wall/PF band

Lots of details already posted here: Read/skim the posts-- reply there or here or both-- short notice LEMs need LOTS of help-- more hosts and for sure more sponsors.....
    https://laserpointerforums.com/threa...ny-lem.101070/

UPDATE--11 years 'later'
    FEELER FEELER FEELER__ lets make this happen!!!!

FEELER for TEXLEM 2019 --near DallasFortWorth (DFW)

Please post asap---this is a short notice LEM- so we need LOTS of help.

If I have left you out--sorry---

There is no reason that TEXLEM cannot be the next SELEM-- which also started small.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****8

You should skim/read all the posts before this one- lots of stuff on finding the best venue--find it-plan it and THEY WILL COME!!!

post your thought and follow this thread as well as the FBook TEXLEM --
    \

FEELER For TEXLEM 2019 --short notice--need LOTS of help --all plans are very subject to change--

DFWTEXLEM 2019 Oct 10 to 14
    Sat. Oct 12 "Bricks'' has Plano Tx FREE Concert in Plano (not far from Dallas--)
    Best ever and oldest Pink Floyd Tribute Band featuring our good friends Tiffany and Rick ('Hitecoop' )at Laser Forums,,
    Awesome Concert with outstanding Laser Show
    Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 9 PM – 11 PM

Legacy Hall
    7800 Windrose Avenue, Plano, Texas 75024

need ' ideal' venue-- close to Plano and/or Dallas
    Need more cohosts and sponsors.

*POSSIBLE*
    Co-Hosts Hakzaw-Tim Walsh, Rodman, Kaphen8ted-Greg 'Displaser', 'Sugeek', 'LarryDFW' 'Gadget' Kevin sponsored by AixiZ Laser Houston Chuck Maricle- Food by ;The PitMeisters' award winning BBQ Cook-Off Team-Cheif Chef Darryl Khoury and teammates.
    DJ by Digital Mayhem --Jimmy Moon and Darryl Khoury.
    The above list is not complete and only possible hosts and attendees--

Post your thoughts here please...

MOST IMPORTANT is the VENUE--

there are lots of requirements-- perfect venues are extremely rare.

BUT can be found-

Get with any LEM Vet to hear details--

Top of the MUST_HAVE list is the venue-- IF one could be found near Plano that would be great BUT anywhere near DFW is doable.
    Both SELEM and TEXLEM 2012 had super venues-- and finding more like those is th4 goal but any suitable venue will work-- later DFW TEXLEMs may be held in better & bigger venues.

The weather there then is great-- cool enough and yet not terribly cold either.

SO -- IF you are near DFW or know of any places to hold the next TEXLEM -- NOW is the time to find one.

Above all costs per attendee needs to be a low as possible.

One where we can stay overnight (to protect our gear) is a must.

These events can be very LOUD-- and the 'party' may go on all night.
    One with kitchen and showers is a big plus--
    Parking and power for camper trailers is important BUT water and sewage is not--just power is good enough.

Places that rent for parties on a regular basis often cost too much. Look for small/medium building for sale.

Whoever is handling the sales may be able to arrange a short term rental- with the possibility of holding a check for security and clean-up.

It will not help if you make this look anything remotely like a RAVE-- something more like a small 'Trade Show' or meeting looks better.
    It may help if we may want to come back one or more times per year.

This TEXLEM has a great draw with Rick and Tiffany's Pink Floyd show on Sat night--MYB some can help set up the lasers-- I know we all could learn a lot from Rick.

Note to all planning to do SELEM 2019 in Aug.
    PLEASE take advantage of the chance to find more members willing to come to TEXLEM2019-- INVITE everyone-- seek help with the work involved. All LEMs need a BS&T area-- that would be a GREAT PLACE to promote TEXLEM DFW-- and the BS & T area we would have there,,

seeking input and suggestions....

hak

Sorry I will not be at SELEM 2019 in person BUT will be with you in Spirit

hak
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Default underwhelmed

Had hopes there would be some encouraging posts..

W/O help there will be no TXLEMs

in any case...... I will be in Plano- for the PF show --with or without you..

The concert is in ~70 days..
    hak
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Default LEM Venue searching

I found (in 2012) a warehouse that was actually for sale.

I inquired with realtor about a weekend 'rental' in Freeport Tx.

The price was near perfect --only $150 and since I got the keys on a Thur- and did not need to return them until the next Wed. --so it was moar than just a weekend..they held my $200 check for deposit--in case we left it NOT cleaner than found.

Such places may be easier to find by driving around-- You can skip the ones looking unsuitable ---

too many homes too close-- (music)
    no parking
    no bathroom or shower.
    too nice and thus likely too spendy
    after that you can call the bigger realtors and ask about a place for a small 'trade show' w/ no more than 50 attendees. With possibility
    a place we can use again in the future.

Former Churches or funeral homes have lots of pluses.
    TEXLEM 2012 was in a perfect venue.
    Sadly we were only able to rent it once --and ONLY because it was
    booked solid except SuperBowl weekend.
    I could go on and on about how awesome that 1925 brick church
    was for our use.

Just on the outside chance we could meet again at "Urban 15''
    maybe someone could work on that.. George and Miss Kat were great hosts. MYB if they were approached knowing we would want it every year... San Antonio is located ideally for all Texans.

No doubt all who attended would want to go back there.
    At that time only two dorm rooms had beds. I gathered up a bunch of used air beds... I 'THOUGHT' none had leaks--Still not sure that Rod has forgiven me... he got a 'leaker' and very little sleep.. my bad....

For me Urban 15 is about 5 hrs drive (hauling a 16 foot mini camper,) and Plano/DFW is about the same. No big deal when you have driven to SELEM-- about 17 hrs. each way.

I hope to go DFW near Oct 1st-- and stay in the area as long as I can.

Kevin aka 'Gadget' has a shop with lathe and mill-I will bring a lot of Aluminum for all to use. So one or moar days we can go to Kevin's for hands-on help. Kevin lives very near where Rick and Tiffany live.

I will be asking Larry if he can host a seminar in DFW on Li-Ion batts and the danger involved. He has a nice place with a meeting room.
    This is very important to all of us-- Hardly anyone has no lasers powered with 18650s.

The highlight at LEMs for some happens when they sit down at the 'controls' and take command of dozens of 1+W lasers... so if you had no real interest in full color PJs--that changes at a LEM.

Including the LEMs themselves.

Bottom line... w/o LEMs, at best, I would have by now met a few members in person--BUT since my first SELEM I have met more than 100 members, and their guests. And stayed at their homes....like family.

I consider Adam (buffo)to be the 'LEM Master'-- and there is no way we can ever thank him enough..... I have learned the most from him..

hak