Thread: Discoscan Lens

Default Discoscan Lens

Looking to pick up a Discoscan lens, newest version. I could pay $250 today

Quote Originally Posted by maxcady View Post
    Looking to pick up a Discoscan lens, newest version. I could pay $250 today
    Unfortunately I doubt you'll find many takers. Pangolin just increased the price on these. They used to sell for around $400 if I remember correctly, but now they've tripled in price to $1200.

There is an after-market camera lens that will give you nearly the same effect as a Discoscan lens, but you would need to build your own mount for it. Flecom was telling us about it at a FLEM some years ago; I seem to recall it was quite affordable (Like $165-ish?) but that was several years ago. Still worth looking into though, given the high cost of the Discoscan lens nowadays.

Also, check with Lumia (Aron Bacs) here on PL. He had some of the original AVI Omniscan lenses for sale a while ago. If he's still got some, that might be another option. They're not as cheap as the photography lens I mentioned above, but they're still less expensive than the new retail price for a Pangolin Discoscan.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Unfortunately I doubt you'll find many takers. Pangolin just increased the price on these. They used to sell for around $400 if I remember correctly, but now they've tripled in price to $1200.

There is an after-market camera lens that will give you nearly the same effect as a Discoscan lens, but you would need to build your own mount for it. Flecom was telling us about it at a FLEM some years ago; I seem to recall it was quite affordable (Like $165-ish?) but that was several years ago. Still worth looking into though, given the high cost of the Discoscan lens nowadays.

Also, check with Lumia (Aron Bacs) here on PL. He had some of the original AVI Omniscan lenses for sale a while ago. If he's still got some, that might be another option. They're not as cheap as the photography lens I mentioned above, but they're still less expensive than the new retail price for a Pangolin Discoscan.

Adam
    I asked on the there facebook page if that 4X increase was correct. They never answered, but if you search there are vendors with old stock selling in the $350 range. I picked one up last week.
    leading in trailing technology

https://www.kvantlasers.sk/laser-dis...ssories/page:2

This doesn't look promising

From the Kvant website:

"Unavailable until further notice!"

But you CAN still get the bracket for it

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    I asked on the there facebook page if that 4X increase was correct. They never answered, but if you search there are vendors with old stock selling in the $350 range. I picked one up last week.

Maybe they've just hit a production issue that's causing a shortage. That often explains why some vendors suddenly triple or quadruple prices.

working on it
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    working on it
    Does someone monitor your facebook page as i never got a response there but picked one up from a reseller. Was disappointed in the no response there

Hey polishedball,

Typically we do (Justin) but between him traveling the world lately for various meetings, new employees and moving offices it likely got missed. We're transitioning roles too, so Calvin and Lyra will be monitoring, but they're both new to their roles and may not have had all the information. I just found out about the Discoscan situation last week!

Not trying to make excuses, just my idea of what may have occured.

As always 1-800-PANGOLIN is the fastest and easiest method
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    Hey polishedball,

Typically we do (Justin) but between him traveling the world lately for various meetings, new employees and moving offices it likely got missed. We're transitioning roles too, so Calvin and Lyra will be monitoring, but they're both new to their roles and may not have had all the information. I just found out about the Discoscan situation last week!

Not trying to make excuses, just my idea of what may have occured.

As always 1-800-PANGOLIN is the fastest and easiest method
    Thanks I honestly just wondered if it was a mistake and would have prefered to order in the USA, but got mine internationally no issue.

Glad you got it!

I'll make a note at our next company wide meeting to clarify who's job it is to monitor Facebook (my guess is this was a situation of "I'll let the other person do it") so we can be more responsive on that platform as it is still growing in popularity...

Thanks for the feedback!
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com