Thread: New unidentified mirror :-)

Default New unidentified mirror/lens :-)

I found 4 of these. The are large and heavy. 18” across and a bit over an inch thick. Any clues on what they are or what they are used for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

image.jpg  

Last edited by 1Gemroz; 08-11-2019 at 18:19.

Most likely newtonian telescope primary blanks. Look familiar? http://www.telescopemirrorblanks.com
    Last edited by absolom7691; 08-12-2019 at 02:39.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Most likely newtonian telescope primary blanks. Look familiar? http://www.telescopemirrorblanks.com
    Ha. Yep that’s it. Thanks so much.

Here is the last mirror/lens i found. Looks to be new. 15” across, 2.5” deep and concave. Also has a black square around it. Is it basically the same as the other 2 blanks and just happens to be concave or is it something completely different?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

image.jpg  

15”. How much you want for them.

I don't think they're telescope mirror blanks. I see one blue reflection and one white reflection of the room lights. That indicates a coating on one side. Maybe a UV mirror. If it is, the coated surface will bring light to a focus. Try it with sunlight, and look for a focus about 8 feet away. If it is a UV mirror, the surface will be very highly polished and ultra-high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    I don't think they're telescope mirror blanks. I see one blue reflection and one white reflection of the room lights. That indicates a coating on one side. Maybe a UV mirror. If it is, the coated surface will bring light to a focus. Try it with sunlight, and look for a focus about 8 feet away. If it is a UV mirror, the surface will be very highly polished and ultra-high quality.

I thought that at first but I don't think it's coated, I think that's the the color of the reflected light. In the second picture, it's the same color of light reflected on the shiny countertop too. Plus, toward the front of the glass, it looks like the light reflected there is white, not blue.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I thought that at first but I don't think it's coated, I think that's the the color of the reflected light. In the second picture, it's the same color of light reflected on the shiny countertop too. Plus, toward the front of the glass, it looks like the light reflected there is white, not blue.
    Sorry i should of made the clear. The other one is definitely blue.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    15”. How much you want for them.
    Make an offer if you like. And do you know what this lens/mirror is called?