Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Projector enclosure design - ventilation recommendations?

Default Projector enclosure design - ventilation recommendations?

I'm working on a possible enclosure design for my (future) RGB laser projector. My current plan is to use a 30K scanner set, with 3 lasers of around a 700mW total output.

To keep the enclosure as compact as possible, I'm planning a split-level case design, with the support electronics on the lower shelf, and the lasers, scanners and optics on an upper shelf, all with appropriate heatsinks (as needed) and mounted to an aluminum plate for stability and additional heatsinking. Everything will be completely enclosed in the case, with about a 1 to 2" gap behind each shelf, which will allow cable routing and airflow between the upper and lower sections of the enclosure. I'm planning on using a 3-fan blower (3" fans) assembly behind the upper shelf to force airflow across the laser components.

Now to the questions -

(1.) Is the one fan assembly behind the upper shelf sufficient, or should there be forced air behind the lower shelf (support electronics area) as well?

(2.) Should there be a vent outlets included in this design, and if so, where should they be located for best air flow?

Thanks in advance!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

With good mounting of laser heads and galsov you don't really need airflow trough upper level. You can seal it up and cool the other side of the plate.
    Look at Arctos/Martin 1.6W units.

Cool

Airflow over the lasers means airflow past the optics, and that usually causes problems. Better to mount everything on large, thick aluminum plates. Then, if you still have heat problems you can blow air under the plate to remove heat without blowing air (and thus dust as well) onto your optics.

You design sounds just fine otherwise. It is a pretty typical layout for a small solid state projector. If it were me, I'd move the air through the case underneath the optical table only. That will cool the electronics you have under there and also help remove any heat from the table itself while keeping the optics clean.

Adam

And if you really need airflow you can build a dam around the optics portions so that the air flows on the backs of the laser and galvos but can't reach the glass.

Lightbulb

I would use an exaust fan or two also. I'd put them on the opposite side of the projector from the ones you have.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Good info - thanks to all who chimed in!

RR
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

When are you getting home from the war Dude?
    Or are you back now?

He said in another post that he was still over there, and probably would be for several months yet...

Hope he makes it home OK!

Adam

Yeah, Really.
    Bush is not doing a very good job with this, imo.
    Ok back on topic,
    This just occurs to me:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails optical.JPG  

Last edited by steve-o; 08-08-2007 at 06:04.

Yep, still here for a couple more months (probably), and still very much in one piece (hopefully to stay that way) - I appreciate you fellows expressing your concern, especially since we don't know each other outside this forum!! I definitely look forward to meeting you guys at the next SELEM meet after I get home!

My assignment here has been VERY unexpectedly different than what I anticipated when I came over, especially with my particular "skill set". As it turns out, I have a LOT of time to think about what I plan on doing when I get home, which is generally a good thing - but getting expensive!

It seems that the longer I spend planning my RGB projector, the more expensive it gets - and I haven't even SEEN my first set of scanners or bench lasers yet!! Bill Benner from Pangolin shipped my FB3 kit to me here so I can work with the interface and software "sans lasers", so I'm getting a very slight taste of what I can look forward to once I get a projector built. Of course, I was blown away by the capabilities of that interface, and now DMX-capability and a separate DMX controller console are on the projector parts list!

As Tim would say on "Home Improvement", must have "MORE POWER", and it looks like that's going to apply to lasers as well - 1 Watt (+) is getting closer and closer on the parts list...

Dang, you guys were right - this IS an expensive "hobby"
    RR

Sweet.....