Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2020 possible date change - discuss!

Lightbulb SELEM 2020 possible date change - discuss!

Hey everyone!

At the close of SELEM 13 (just a few weeks ago) we discussed the dates for SELEM 14 next year. At that time we had settled on Tuesday, August 4th, 2020 through Sunday, August 9th, 2020. However, this creates a bit of a problem.

For the past 3 years we have been performing a live laser show to accompany the Western Piedmont Symphony Orchestra as they put on a free outdoor concert for the town of Newton on Sunday evening after SELEM load-out is completed. This concert is one of the main events that kick-off the week-long Soldier's Reunion Festival for the town of Newton, NC. The festival is timed each year to coincide with the 3rd Thursday in August. That's the day of the big parade, which concludes the festival. The Sunday prior to parade day is when the festival kicks off with the car show, the food trucks, and various live entertainment during the day, which leads to the "cruising" of all the classic cars and finally to the outdoor concert with the Symphony Orchestra Sunday night.

Here's where the problem comes in. If we stick with the dates above (August 4th - 9th), we will end up being a week early and thus we will miss the Soldier's Reunion Festival completely. That means no outdoor concert Sunday night after SELEM ends, and thus no outdoor laser show either. For 2020 the Soldier's Reunion Festival will kick off on Sunday, August 16th, with the big parade happening on Thursday, August 20th. (Because August 20th will be the 3rd Thursday in August for the year 2020.)

So the Symphony will be planning their outdoor concert for Sunday, August 16th, 2020. If we want to continue to be a part of that concert, we would need to move SELEM forward one week. Thus, SELEM 2020 would need to start on Tuesday, August 11th and run through Sunday, August 16th.

Personally I don't mind moving the event forward. I think there is value in continuing the work we've done with the Symphony, and I also think a great deal of SELEM attendees enjoy seeing the show and even being a part of it. However, I realize that many people do not have much flexibility in their schedules, which is why I'm bringing this up now. I'd like to hear from everyone who has a stake in SELEM - big or small - before a decision is made. The last thing I want to do is move the event and make it difficult or impossible for people to attend.

Please post below with your thoughts on this.

Adam

PS: I should point out that the Soldier's Reunion Festival has been going on for 124 consecutive years and is one of the oldest recurring patriotic festivals in the USA. As such, there's no way the festival dates will change. There is a remote chance that we could badger the symphony to change the dates of their concert and just agree to not be part of the festival, but without the draw of the other festival kick-off events I think this would seriously hurt the attendance numbers. Plus it would be a real blow to the festival to lose the evening concert, and that could have lasting negative political consequences. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.
    Last edited by buffo; 08-27-2019 at 05:10. Reason: typo

Hey Adam,

It sounds like pushing the SELEM dates to the following week is the right thing to do. I appreciate the heads up and will be there despite the week chosen as I plan my year around this event.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Moving the dates to the right so we stay aligned with the Soldier's Reunion Festival sounds like a good idea to me -
    From everything I've seen & heard I think the town folks are starting to expect the SELEM crew to be part of the performance!

This is almost a year's notice, so I think committing to the change now should give everyone plenty of time to plan accordingly.

(2020 might be the year I need to dust off my Cavalry Stetson & stick around for the concert )
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Already replied privately but, works for me too. AND, more importantly works for a number of people who traditionally have had problems with SELEM having been moved back a week due the school system a few years back. We may get some people that haven't been able to attend for awhile due to other conflicts. :-)
    PM Sent...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Moving SELEM a week forward to Aug 11-16 puts it in conflict with Santa Fe Indian market and means I can't attend.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hey everyone!

At the close of SELEM 13 (just a few weeks ago) we discussed the dates for SELEM 14 next year. At that time we had settled on Tuesday, August 4th, 2020 through Sunday, August 9th, 2020. However, this creates a bit of a problem.

For the past 3 years we have been performing a live laser show to accompany the Western Piedmont Symphony Orchestra as they put on a free outdoor concert for the town of Newton on Sunday evening after SELEM load-out is completed. This concert is one of the main events that kick-off the week-long Soldier's Reunion Festival for the town of Newton, NC. The festival is timed each year to coincide with the 3rd Thursday in August. That's the day of the big parade, which concludes the festival. The Sunday prior to parade day is when the festival kicks off with the car show, the food trucks, and various live entertainment during the day, which leads to the "cruising" of all the classic cars and finally to the outdoor concert with the Symphony Orchestra Sunday night.

Here's where the problem comes in. If we stick with the dates above (August 4th - 9th), we will end up being a week early and thus we will miss the Soldier's Reunion Festival completely. That means no outdoor concert Sunday night after SELEM ends, and thus no outdoor laser show either. For 2020 the Soldier's Reunion Festival will kick off on Sunday, August 16th, with the big parade happening on Thursday, August 20th. (Because August 20th will be the 3rd Thursday in August for the year 2020.)

So the Symphony will be planning their outdoor concert for Sunday, August 16th, 2020. If we want to continue to be a part of that concert, we would need to move SELEM forward one week. Thus, SELEM 2020 would need to start on Tuesday, August 11th and run through Sunday, August 16th.

Personally I don't mind moving the event forward. I think there is value in continuing the work we've done with the Symphony, and I also think a great deal of SELEM attendees enjoy seeing the show and even being a part of it. However, I realize that many people do not have much flexibility in their schedules, which is why I'm bringing this up now. I'd like to hear from everyone who has a stake in SELEM - big or small - before a decision is made. The last thing I want to do is move the event and make it difficult or impossible for people to attend.

Please post below with your thoughts on this.

Adam

PS: I should point out that the Soldier's Reunion Festival has been going on for 124 consecutive years and is one of the oldest recurring patriotic festivals in the USA. As such, there's no way the festival dates will change. There is a remote chance that we could badger the symphony to change the dates of their concert and just agree to not be part of the festival, but without the draw of the other festival kick-off events I think this would seriously hurt the attendance numbers. Plus it would be a real blow to the festival to lose the evening concert, and that could have lasting negative political consequences. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

What about before?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    What about before?
    Read the OP and you'll understand why not.
    PM Sent...

I don't care. Whatever makes sense.

Personally I don't mind moving the event forward. I think there is value in continuing the work we've done with the Symphony, and I also think a great deal of SELEM attendees enjoy seeing the show and even being a part of it.
    I agree that there is great value to SELEM (as an event that wants to continue in the same welcoming/accommodating/laser friendly venue) to continue to generate goodwill with the Symphony and people of Newton. I think moving SELEM to align with the Symphony show & Soldier's festival is the right thing to do to show appreciation to the city for the warm welcome they provide to SELEM and because they seem to like the concert/laser show and look forward to it...and it's a good opportunity to shoot lasers outside without funny looks from people and unwanted attention from the cops. It's a Win-Win-Win!

However, I realize that many people do not have much flexibility in their schedules, which is why I'm bringing this up now. I'd like to hear from everyone who has a stake in SELEM - big or small - before a decision is made. The last thing I want to do is move the event and make it difficult or impossible for people to attend.
    I have only been the last three years but I enjoyed that it occurred on my birthday each year. It is hard for the wife to argue about me going on a solo trip for my birthday. But, my schedule is usually flexible and I don't mind the move one week forward, especially with a year's notice. Prior to the last 3 years I couldn't go because it always conflicted with my two kids back to school and so I always wanted it to be another week so I could go. If it does have to move hopefully other people who couldn't go before on the old schedule will be able to make it this time. I like the consistency, but I also understand the need to be flexible and accommodate our hosts.

Plus it would be a real blow to the festival to lose the evening concert, and that could have lasting negative political consequences. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.
    I agree that it is a good idea to avoid any potential negative effect(s) on SELEM. It's funny how people think. Now that SELEM has been providing the service for a few years people have probably grown to expect it. If it suddenly stopped, what would be the perception of SELEM? Of why it stopped?

Thanks for all the work you put into creating a great every year.
    Eric in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by djeric68 View Post
    I agree that it is a good idea to avoid any potential negative effect(s) on SELEM. It's funny how people think. Now that SELEM has been providing the service for a few years people have probably grown to expect it. If it suddenly stopped, what would be the perception of SELEM? Of why it stopped?
    That would be my concern; negative feedback. Keeping the community happy, means keeping SELEM going.
    So, anything that presents SELEM in a positive "light" is good. (Pun)
    Last edited by icecruncher; 08-29-2019 at 07:08. Reason: Pun :)