Page 24 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Here's a dogloid. (photo)

To do: Fully test and tidy the code, hack the digimax to get DC output and possibly separate the four DAC outputs so at least two of the four DOGN channels may be enjoyed at the same time.

I will have to begin linking to videos of this output, as this is doing a manner of clever motions that need to be seen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DOGN_dogloid.jpg  

Getting DC from the DigiMAX only required shorting two caps. These photos show examples the DOGN output, including the dogloid which I previously speculated involved a ramp waveform (It doesn't.) As Brian predicted, these are a bit disappointing, even seen here on the beautiful Tektronix 604A. I have a request in to a local university for the return of my Catweazle, from which I'll produce a catalog of each DOG patch, and my 594 HeNe will be happy to finally get a chance to do something useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DOGN_DC_1.jpg  

DOGN_DC_2.jpg  

DOGN_DC_3.jpg  

DOGN_DC_4.jpg  

DOGN_DC_5.jpg  

DOGN_DC_6.jpg  

The freaky thing is I can imagine the next step in most of those images. Admittedly I sat and watched the last show (for at least!) 5 nights a week for 4 years before I did my first Laserium show.

Thanks!
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Greg,

Looks like you've made great progress! From what I see on your sillyscope, you've got it working beautifully! You're giving me Laserium flashbacks!

I had never heard the term "Catweasle", however, and had to do a search. I still don't really understand how an obscure medieval British sitcom relates to medieval Laserium imagery.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Getting DC from the DigiMAX only required shorting two caps. These photos show examples the DOGN output, including the dogloid which I previously speculated involved a ramp waveform (It doesn't.) As Brian predicted, these are a bit disappointing, even seen here on the beautiful Tektronix 604A. I have a request in to a local university for the return of my Catweazle, from which I'll produce a catalog of each DOG patch, and my 594 HeNe will be happy to finally get a chance to do something useful.

It relates through Karn Evil 9, not really. I see what you mean, it's not obvious through a search that catweazle refers to galvos by MediaLas:

http://www.laserist.org/Laserist/Tech_focus_p4.html

Photos show the dogloids tested with G100 scanners, an audio amp, and the unmodified DigiMAX (no DC.)

DC test coming next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HeNe594.jpg  

G100.jpg  

dogloid.jpg  

dogloid2.jpg  

CrystalDogloid.jpg  

You have a yellow HeNe? Rare! I have one at the Exploratorium that I put into an exhibit.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It relates through Karn Evil 9, not really. I see what you mean, it's not obvious through a search that catweazle refers to galvos by MediaLas:

http://www.laserist.org/Laserist/Tech_focus_p4.html

Photos show the dogloids tested with G100 scanners, an audio amp, and the unmodified DigiMAX (no DC.)

DC test coming next.

I just think it's cool that if you get far enough from 575nm digital cameras will stop seeing green...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Here are some photos of more Laserium Flashbacks from the DOGN. Providing DC to the audio amp input to drive the G100's works but only for little DC. Conveniently, converting 0 to 5VDC DAC output into -+10V control voltage is a very common thing to do, and VREF is available on one of the pins of the DigiMAX C64 8 bit stereo DAC. And I have the Catweazle back (Thank you Michael of The Photon League), so a video catalog of DOGN output with laser is coming.

Four of the 16 dogloid patches are a waving conductor's baton effect that kind of looks like a light saber or a drum stick, and is very recognizable from the old shows. One photo here imperfectly shows this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dogloid3.jpg  

dogloid4.jpg  

dogloid5.jpg  

dogloid6.jpg  

dogloid7.jpg  

dogloid8.jpg  

Go ahead and ridicule my inefficient use of breadboard. Here are oscillators 1 and 3 of the CYGN-B prior to the permanent build. One axis of each oscillator is output to the sillyscope. Notice that the lissajous is rock stable. This proves that the legend of the syncing 555's is true. Investigating this unique feature of the CYGN-B is something I have wanted to do for a long time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CYGN-B_osc1and3_sync.jpg  

Here's an update photo of the CYGN-B build. Oscillator 2 is in progress. The oscilloscope photos each show two oscillators. The signal is taken from one of the output "bits" of that oscillator's Johnson counter. One photo shows illegal states, which sometimes occur on power up. The other photo shows the same signals after use of the counter reset button I added. The schematic shows the reset circuit which replaces the MOSFET part of the circuit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CYGN-B_Oct31.jpg  

CYGN-B_illegal_states.jpg  

CYGN-B_after_reset.jpg  

reset_timer.png