Page 30 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Good tip, the parts are on order. I should have thought to look.

Were the cmos + similar clock machine built, beside being a CYGN-A and B, would it expand in some way(s) on what the CYGN-B does?

The photo shows the flooring and slew of the output of osc2 when amplitude modulated with the sinusoid from osc1. These effects are not present when osc1 or 3 is amplitude modulated. I notice that the cycloid seen in the Laserium - Walking On The Moon video exhibits a flooring effect. I'm assuming that was done with the CYGN-B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CYGN-B_am_slew.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Good tip, the parts are on order. I should have thought to look.

Were the cmos + similar clock machine built, beside being a CYGN-A and B, would it expand in some way(s) on what the CYGN-B does?

The photo shows the flooring and slew of the output of osc2 when amplitude modulated with the sinusoid from osc1. These effects are not present when osc1 or 3 is amplitude modulated. I notice that the cycloid seen in the Laserium - Walking On The Moon video exhibits a flooring effect. I'm assuming that was done with the CYGN-B.
    That might be the result of having the wrong pot for AM, or the wrong supply voltage. (Laserium analog electronics was +/- 15VDC) The documentation I have just has a State Electronics part number for the AM/FM pots, so I don't know their actual values. I do have some pots that lead me to think the FM was 10K and AM was 100K. Carl Hannigan told me way back when that you could replace the 555 timers in the CYGN-B with cmos 555's and the clock interaction would go away. I never tried it.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

and 2020 / 2021
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TopOfTheYear2013.jpg  

and 2020 / 2021
    Hey Greg.

I reread this thread Christmas morning, it was really fun. Thanks so much for caring for those things that Ivan made real...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

A quick update:

I'm finally back home, so shipments are now welcome.

The order for the original shift register chip arrived, and the problem has been solved. Now all three oscillators are working as intended.

The slew / flooring issue previously discussed was due, as Brian suggested, to my having to substitute a 50K pot for a 20K in the symmetry control. Assuming these AB mod pots are available, I'll include a replacement in my next parts order.

I'm considering the Model DI-2108 Data Logger (pic attached) as a solution to capturing output from the rebuild Laser Images hardware so I can make samples available as ilda files.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails di-2108-usb-data-acquisition.jpg  

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

May I suggest:

ADAT to ILDA Converter (aldebaran-systems.com)

or

Wave-USB (aldebaran-systems.com)

As perhaps being easier to use?

Dataq is in my home town and makes an excellent product. However you might want to ask if it samples in parallel or double buffered to avoid skew.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    May I suggest:

ADAT to ILDA Converter (aldebaran-systems.com)

or

Wave-USB (aldebaran-systems.com)

As perhaps being easier to use?

Dataq is in my home town and makes an excellent product. However you might want to ask if it samples in parallel or double buffered to avoid skew.

Steve
    Thank you, Steve. I'm investigating the Aldebaran products, as per your suggestion.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Thank you, Steve. I'm investigating the Aldebaran products, as per your suggestion.
    aldebaran products are made by dz, a very well respected photonlexicon member and are excellent. i highly recommend anything he makes.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I spoke with DZ, who was very helpful, and I agree, his products look great. I went with DATAQ data logger for now out of curiosity, because it is a bit physically smaller, and because I might find some other uses for it as well.

Thanks for the op amp advice Brian. I got the DAC output scaled to +-10V.

Photo shows the data capture hardware, minus the C64. The screen capture shows two channels of signal from the DOGN. From what I can tell of the software at this point, the XY display has loop and one shot modes, but lacks a free running mode to be able to really see what is being input. Perhaps I'm overlooking a feature.

A sample of the DOGN signal has been captured and exported as a .csv file. I'll be asking James for some guidance through his software to see if the .csv data can be made into something useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails data_acquisition_hardware.jpg  

DOGN_signal_in_windaq.png  

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If you have a Dos, Win 95, or Win 3.11 Machine laying around, as I have not tried it with higher OS, there is this:

https://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.La.../ILDAwrite.zip

and to test it back:

https://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.La...s/ReadILDA.zip

Runs under DOS... Might even work in an emulator as it is a EXE...

From my past...

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...