Page 42 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

I saw that inconsistentcy in the Audio Mod documentation at some point, but never looked into it. Thanks for cleaning it up.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I don't remember who told me the story. It could have been Phil, but short story - Somebody threw a Halloween Costume party, John Tilp just died his hair black and showed up as the only one without a "costume". Nobody recognized him and kept asking who the guy without a costume was...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I'm curious how effects where the four color channels are rhythmically chasing each other's sizes were set up.
    Glad you're still here, TheHermit. Yeah, no, nothing to do with the colormod. That subject will come back up when the expansion of Brian's colormod signal to RGB circuit to include 4 RGB channels with fixed color offsets and beam torquer is imminent. I'm talking here specifically about the RYGB gains that are present in the 351 data frame. The visualized 351 for Cars I posted a link to contains effects where, for example, The gains (image sizes) sweep between blue inside green inside yellow inside red, to the opposite, where blue is the biggest and red is the smallest. Obviously this was done using the encoder. It looks too perfect to have been done with four fingers on sliders, though maybe not. Musicians do develop skill. I believe the answer is that that cannot be known at this time, though there is a legend of documentation in the possession of Jon.

Photos show the triangle signal and the 90 degree phase shift at 100 Hz circuits, as well as the direct audio mod effect, which looks as expected. The next steps become more interesting, as little golden obsolete multipliers with kooky networks of trim pots are involved. I'll look back through the threads, as I think multipliers, laser trimming, external resistors, quadrants etc. were previously discussed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AudioDirectAudioMod.jpg  

AudioTriangle.jpg  

AudioTriangleAndPhaseShift.jpg  

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

See attached

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

In section 7 (p.11) of the patent Steve posted, is stated: "A voltage controlled spiral generator 146 may be controlled, in a well known fashion, from the output of the data acquisition system 140..." I wonder what was meant by "in a well known fashion". Was that something the teenagers were atwitter about in the 1970s?

The photos here show the compressed audio signal together with the audio control voltage derived from it. The trim pot in this part of the circuit appears to be a DC offset adjust to the output. Not sure why it is called "feedthrough" on the schematic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AudioControlVoltageOut1.jpg  

AudioControlVoltageOut2.jpg  

AudioControlVoltageOut3.jpg  

AudioControlVoltageOut4.jpg  

I believe "well known fashion" refers to "voltage controlled"... Perhaps the lawyer was paid by the word. Actually Ivan once told me that when their original lawyer died the new lawyer said he hoped they never had to defend this patent because he had no idea how to do it. Another interesting bit of laser trivia, somebody patented laser lumia prior to Laserium, but fortunately specifically called out doing it on a rear projection screen.

Wink

I would not try to do a modern planetarium show without a data track. Z-5 with the color box is awesome, but you'd need something to record and edit on. Radiator requires immense practice and memorization to be effective outside of a Rave.
    . To really do something with it I'd be using the"Save to Ilda" immensely and editing elsewhere.

There is a reason why I own a Wave-Dsp. Editing and creating a baseline is why.

I have a really old console that was designed in such a way that you really have to work hard to create a lame, dis-jointed, unviewable, unenjoyable image. With just five sliders, a few potentiometers per oscillator bank, and a joystick. It has two nearly identical oscillator sections and one post processing session. You can go between section A and section B with a slider. This way you can play aith A in real time and spring back to B for a chorus.

I have another unit that is the XYZ rotator and orbit.

The key here is voltage controlled, not being stuck with 8 bit control of anything.

Before some one chimes in that I cannot "experience" a Z-5
    Or a Radiator because I do not own them, I have around 24 hours on Z5 and the Radiator is 30 minutes away.

Control layout and oscillator/multiplier internal patches readily do matter. That and the ability to do extremely smooth transitions from one image to the next while matching measures in the music.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-25-2022 at 10:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    In section 7 (p.11) of the patent Steve posted, is stated: "A voltage controlled spiral generator 146 may be controlled, in a well known fashion, from the output of the data acquisition system 140..." I wonder what was meant by "in a well known fashion". Was that something the teenagers were atwitter about in the 1970s?

The photos here show the compressed audio signal together with the audio control voltage derived from it. The trim pot in this part of the circuit appears to be a DC offset adjust to the output. Not sure why it is called "feedthrough" on the schematic.
    "...in a well known fashion" or "Such recording techniques are well known" is legalese for "this part ain't patentable, ain't part of our patent application, tis in the domain of common knowledge".

Thanks for posting the patent, Steve!

Or the lovable "Known to those in the Industry"
    Which means, we know, our competitors know, but we dare not tell anyone else.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Or the lovable "Known to those in the Industry"
    Which means, we know, our competitors know, but we dare not tell anyone else.

Steve
    Yessiree ;-).

Interesting about the lumia patent. I just cannot bring myself to imagine how on earth that patent could even be defended from the "front or back", to wit, sunlight bouncing on rippling water or snowflakes = well known.